I discovered there was a 1000 yard range a half hour from my house and I'm going to take advantage of that. I've got a Remington 40x in 7.62x51 that currently has a Leupold Mk4 10x with mildot reticle.

I don't have a spotting scope, bipod or a rifle rest, but a guy has to start someplace and shooting is better than not shooting, even if I don't yet have all the gear. I'm going to start with Sierra 175 gr Match King ammo. The range has steel targets all the way out to 1000 yards and I'm going to see if I can get hits.

I have a Leupold VX-6 7-42x on order which will replace the 10x. The first order of business is ordering rings & mounts for the new scope. The VX-6 7-42x has a 34mm tube. Who makes 34mm rings and a 20moa mount that worth a darn? I've heard Badger Ordnance is a good choice. Are there others?

Is the 175 gr Match Kings a good bullet to start with? Or is there something better? For now, I'll be using factory ammo. Getting the reloading gear back in action will come later.

Will a bipod be steady enough? Or should I plan to get some type of rifle rest? I don't know if my foray into long range shooting will lead to competing or not.

It's been a long time since I've been behind a spotting scope. What are the pros and cons of the angled or the straight eye piece?

I don't know what I'm doing yet, but I'm gonna get a coupla boxes of ammo and start finding out!