Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a Ruger American Ranch...

Feedback Score

Talk me out of a Ruger American Ranch...

Executive Summary: I'm hankering for a .223/5.56 bolt gun. I'm looking hard at this:

https://ruger.com/products/americanR...ets/26965.html

... but I'm not 100% sure it the best choice or whether I should even bother with another rifle.

TL;DR: I have a couple Ruger American Rimfires (.22lr and .17HMR), and I think they're super. I have a Savage FCP-SR in .308, and I think it's super, too. Except for dispatching the occasional varmint with the .22, these are all strictly paper-punchers.

It would be nice to have something between the .17HMR (wind sensitive) and the .308 (expensive and obnoxious). I have a 13-year-old who's already moved from the .22 to the .17 and it would be nice to put her behind a .223 rather than jumping to the .308. I already have a load of .223 for my ARs already, and I'll be reloading it, so no other calibers need apply.

I'm sick of having proprietary magazines, so one big appeal of the Ruger is that it would take the same mags as my ARs. (Downside, I'll be single-shooting anything longer than mag length.)

Other pluses: A short barrel; threaded; 1:8" rifling. Did I mention that it costs <$500?

Downsides... None that I can see, given that I know and can live with (and even like) the Ruger American line.

Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Talk me out of a Ruger American Ranch...

No experience with the Ruger but just to confuse the issue, Mossberg makes their MVP line that accepts AR mags. Here’s one with similar specs, (but 1:9) under $500:

https://www.gunbuyer.com/catalog/pro...tic-tan-27709/
    Last edited by Vegas; 12-26-18 at 14:13.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I like the idea of the Mossberg, especially the MVP-LR "tactical": https://www.mossberg.com/product/mvp...l-rifle-27698/

It's stupid of me, I know, but the Mossberg Patrol/LR just looks unattractive to me — something to do with the pot-bellied forend. I just don't like them.

Objective demerits:

1:9" rifling. The Ruger's 1:8" shouldn't be a problem with whatever I ever want to shoot, but 1:9" could be an issue.

I hear mixed reviews of the Mossberg MVP's accuracy...

A friend has an MVP "light chassis," and it's wonky. There's something wrong with the trigger, and it often fails to fire. (Sample of one, I know... )

The Mossberg MVP-LR costs $200-$250 more. At $650+, I'd be cross-shopping Savage 110 Scout (that at least takes AICS mags, if not AR mags).

https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/...-110/110-scout

Also, I just found this thread:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...oes-this-exist

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Magpul makes their stock for the American
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm getting one in 7.62X39 because it's $425 @ LGS and reviews say it eats and shoots Wolf well. I need to spend more time at the range and 300BLK/7.62X51 $ are killing me (not detail oriented to reload, I'd hurt myself) in my other rifles. Will be my first bolt gun, will grab a vortex 7.62X39 scope and practice/learn over the winter.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Magpul makes their stock for the American
    Non-starter for me... It doesn't fit the American rifles that accept AR mags, and if I bought a regular American and the Magpul stock (I think $300 is too much to spend on a stock for a $400 rifle, BTW), then I'd need to use AICS-pattern mags at $30-40 each.

If I were going .308, then maybe... but even then, I think Ruger making versions of the American that accept AICS mags makes the MagPul stock instantly obsolete.

Quote Originally Posted by ndmiller View Post
    I'm getting one in 7.62X39...
    Cool. I hear good things about those, too, but I need an 11th caliber (I already shoot/reload 10) like I need a hole in the head.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The action of the Ruger American is rough, rough enough that working the action is a bit awkward and slowed. Polishing the action should help.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    The action of the Ruger American is rough, rough enough that working the action is a bit awkward and slowed. Polishing the action should help.
    Yeah, my Ruger American Rimfire .17HMR was really bad at first. It didn't help that it was bone dry as shipped. After oiling it and running the bolt several hundred times, it's quite smooth now...

I don't expect a budget rifle to be as nice as a premium rifle...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Your right, it was gritty to say the least. Cleaned and lubed the bolt and ran it for a few minutes and night and day better. I'm going to put a few hundred rounds through it and maybe send it off to Birdsong for some Black or Green T.

Feedback Score
    I have the 762x39 version. Pretty happy with it. My action was decent out of the box. I put a 2-7 Leupold on it and it’s a great little combo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast