Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting Started Shooting at 1000 Yards

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Getting Started Shooting at 1000 Yards

I discovered there was a 1000 yard range a half hour from my house and I'm going to take advantage of that. I've got a Remington 40x in 7.62x51 that currently has a Leupold Mk4 10x with mildot reticle.

I don't have a spotting scope, bipod or a rifle rest, but a guy has to start someplace and shooting is better than not shooting, even if I don't yet have all the gear. I'm going to start with Sierra 175 gr Match King ammo. The range has steel targets all the way out to 1000 yards and I'm going to see if I can get hits.

I have a Leupold VX-6 7-42x on order which will replace the 10x. The first order of business is ordering rings & mounts for the new scope. The VX-6 7-42x has a 34mm tube. Who makes 34mm rings and a 20moa mount that worth a darn? I've heard Badger Ordnance is a good choice. Are there others?

Is the 175 gr Match Kings a good bullet to start with? Or is there something better? For now, I'll be using factory ammo. Getting the reloading gear back in action will come later.

Will a bipod be steady enough? Or should I plan to get some type of rifle rest? I don't know if my foray into long range shooting will lead to competing or not.

It's been a long time since I've been behind a spotting scope. What are the pros and cons of the angled or the straight eye piece?

I don't know what I'm doing yet, but I'm gonna get a coupla boxes of ammo and start finding out!
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I wish I had access to a 1K range. I'd happily drive a few hours for the opportunity.

I've had good luck so far with Seekins Picatinny bases and rings. Badger Ordnance woule be an
    outstanding choice as well.

175 grain SMKs are definitely worth trying out. Another option would be Hornady's loads with the
    ELD-X bullet, and likely a bunch more. I handload, so don't pay much attention to factory ammo.

From a bench, I have better luck with a front rifle rest than a bipod. I bought a Caldwell The Rock
    about 25 years ago, and have had no desire to upgrade. A front rest like this is roughly the same
    price as a Harris that swivels and has leg notches.....and a lot cheaper than an Atlas, KAC, GGG, etc.
    Last edited by grizzman; 09-24-18 at 22:32.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    What is twist rate of barrel and barrel length?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    175 gr SMK’s will get you there. You may also want to look at the new tipped version and/or the Berger 185 gr. Juggernaut. A F-class style bipod (Sinclair makes a few) may be beneficial but I’ve had great luck with regular Harris units as well- specifically the 6”-9” S-BRM model.

Angled spotter eyepieces are easier to use while prone, IME, straight eyepieces are easier to use offhand and/or mounted to a vehicles window.

Nightforce makes a nice direct mount for the Rem 700 receiver.
    Last edited by gunnerblue; 09-24-18 at 23:06. Reason: Additional information

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Spuhr is the best mount period. However, it's pricey. I think the sp4601 would work for you. But research anyway. There are other rings like Seekins that will be good for less $$. There are a ton of reasonable options but Spuhr is the best and what I use on my Tikka with Kahles k525i.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Is the 175 gr Match Kings a good bullet to start with? Or is there something better? For now, I'll be using factory ammo. Getting the reloading gear back in action will come later.
    Factory GMM 175 SMKs are perfect for 1000 yards. I hand load them, but of all the options out there, the 175 SMK is all I like to shoot for .308 bolt gun.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Curious, why the VX-6? That’s not a common choice in the precision rifle community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Getting Started Shooting at 1000 Yards

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Factory GMM 175 SMKs are perfect for 1000 yards. I hand load them, but of all the options out there, the 175 SMK is all I like to shoot for .308 bolt gun.
    Same for me. I’ve messed with other rounds but always came back to the 175.

For rings, my experience is Nightforce ultra lite and Seekins rings. Both solid but I have no knowledge of 34mm options. I use Nightforce based on both my 700’s. Reasonably priced imo.

Bipod, I have both friction lock and notched log type Harris in 6-9 height. Never felt the need to look further until the recent Magpul bipod came out. Might be giving one a try in the near future.

Last of all, get yourself a ballistic calculator for which ever smart phone flavor you use (assuming you don’t have one already). I use Strelok personally. Plug the ammo and atmospherics in; and away you go. Happy shooting!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    What is twist rate of barrel and barrel length?
    It's a 24" barrel with, I believe, a 1:11 twist.

I am American

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by redpillregret View Post
    Curious, why the VX-6? That’s not a common choice in the precision rifle community.
    Optical clarity, magnification, weight, tracking, reticle, price, availability. After looking at a bunch of scopes, it's the one I liked best.

I am American

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast