Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting Started Shooting at 1000 Yards

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    When I read through the original post, I must have mis-read the scope info as 7 - 24x. As others have stated, 7 - 42x is completely
    unnecessary/inappropriate for the intended use. Maxing out at 12 to 16x, as long as it's really good glass, is enough magnification.

With your optics budget, I personally wouldn't be looking at Leupold (and I own 5 of them ). The 10x MK4 will work fine, especially
    while you're still figuring out what you're doing. A Kestrel and ballistic calculator are much more important than increased magnification.
    Last edited by grizzman; 09-25-18 at 13:46.

Feedback Score
    This would be one of several good choices.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/nightfo...-RS-SD23F-C546

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    A Kestrel and ballistic calculator are much more important than increased magnification.
    We've been shooting 1k for 5 or 6 years and never really used a Kestrel. I think Pappabear bought one... ran it 2 or 3 times, and never really brought it out again.

To me it's only telling you the wind at your position. And where we shoot it varies quite a bit at various distances.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    We've been shooting 1k for 5 or 6 years and never really used a Kestrel. I think Pappabear bought one... ran it 2 or 3 times, and never really brought it out again.

To me it's only telling you the wind at your position. And where we shoot it varies quite a bit at various distances.
    The kestrel is very useful for determining density altitude. For some folks, they don’t see much variance. Myself, having traveled quite a bit for events and for hunting, they were invaluable. One can also get one with AB built in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by redpillregret View Post
    The kestrel is very useful for determining density altitude. For some folks, they don’t see much variance. Myself, having traveled quite a bit for events and for hunting, they were invaluable. One can also get one with AB built in.
    Yeah. We're at the same old spot every weekend.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I agree that the Kestrel's temperature and density readings are likely more useful than wind at the shooting position.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    "Kestrel" is a brand name and includes a variety of models, the most basic of which reads only wind at the bearer's position. Just sayin'.

Temp and density effects also don't merit the same consideration across shooters, applications, equipment, and targets.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You can definitely get stuck in a money pit in this discipline. To echo what others have said, your legacy mkIV will be more than adequate for the task. Take that VX money and convert it into a case of Federal gold medal 175gr.

Looks like the rifle has a picatinny base already, do you know if it’s 0 or 20 moa?

I prefer a bipod for shooting prone and some kind of bag or rest on a bench.

The main thing will be data gathering; muzzle velocity, and weather variables specifically. I’m on a budget so I use NOAA and an iPhone ballistics app. Borrowed a chronograph for the factory load I mainly shoot and have used the data with success to 500m so far. Still learning wind and mirage and all that.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by marco.g View Post
    Looks like the rifle has a picatinny base already, do you know if it’s 0 or 20 moa?
    I didn't want to bring this up, but it's a good point. I had to replace my base with a 20 MOA when we got serious about reaching out. The standard base had me dialing way up into the top end of the scope's adjustment... which I've read is less than optimal.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by marco.g View Post
    ...your legacy mkIV will be more than adequate for the task.
    I got the scope back in the 90s. It's given good service and I will be using it in this endeavor- to start it, anyway.

0 moa. I suspect that if nothing else, that will need to change.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 09-25-18 at 20:36.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast