Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting Started Shooting at 1000 Yards

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I got the scope back in the 90s. It's given good service and I will be using it in this endeavor- to start it, anyway.

0 moa. I suspect that if nothing else, that will need to change.
    NF makes a solid base, I’m partial to the 2 piece for loading through the ejection port. Some say it’s better as it doesn’t stress the action as much, but that’s way in the weeds. Rifle looks great, have fun out there!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.opt...%3F_iv_amp%3D1

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If memory serves, Nightforce sells a uni-mount in both 30 and 34mm and in 0 or 20 moa. Should work with your existing base.

If you are still looking for different glass, there are still a few places running specials on the Vortex Viper PST, clearing out the older models for the new ones. I have grabbed up two myself.

https://www.eurooptic.com/vortex-vip...t-416f1-m.aspx

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Is 20-60x too much magnification for a spotting scope?
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    If you can dial it down to 20-25X you'll be ok. Lots of magnification makes finding the target hard, and if there's any warmth, the mirage is like looking through a river.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Would a more practical choice be an 11-33x or a 15-45x, then?

I am American

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Would a more practical choice be an 11-33x or a 15-45x, then?
    Honestly, Pappabear's Vortex B-knocks are freakin Awesome. Binos give way better depth perception, and bullet trace is incredible. A good tripod and good Binos are the way to go.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What magnification binos are you guys using?

I am American

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have a Vortex Kaibab Binos that we spot with in the super hot summer, less mirage. And I have a V Razor , the new HD version 27-60 power. Both work well. Leupold makes a decent spotter with Mil reticle built inside.
    15-45 would be fine for what we do. But that is often the smaller objective lens. Just as long as its decent glass your anything in this range will be fine.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    What are you hoping to do with said spotting scope?

Observe impacts on steel?

Observe trace?

Locate and call out targets?

Look at holes in paper?

I currently run a 15-45x Bushnell Legend with a mil reticle and SiCo Radius on top. I use it to observe impacts on steel, observe trace, and walk students on to targets. It’s a descent spotter for the money. You’re not going to resolve bullet holes in paper or see fine details in failing light. Due to larger objects, one can usually get away with higher magnification on a spotting scope than a rifle scope. When it’s windy and there is lots of heat, I’ve found I can get away with 30x at best. Mornings and late in the day when I can crank it up, I don’t find myself wanting at 45x.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    With the gear you have you could go out today and make hits, and slowly add and improve your gear as you learn and prioritize. It would help to go shoot with a buddy that could spot for you. When you first start, its hard to make shots and stay on the gun to watch your hits and misses. I would make getting the barrel threaded a priority if its not, so you can add a BRAKE and then possible a can down the road. The brake will make shooting and tracking sooooo much easier. 308 isn't bad, but a brake makes it very comfortable to shoot for the entire range session without wearing and flinching and yanking the trigger.

Good luck Mist!

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast