Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting Started Shooting at 1000 Yards

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by redpillregret View Post
    What are you hoping to do with said spotting scope?

Observe impacts on steel?

Observe trace?

Locate and call out targets?

Look at holes in paper?

I currently run a 15-45x Bushnell Legend with a mil reticle and SiCo Radius on top. I use it to observe impacts on steel, observe trace, and walk students on to targets. It’s a descent spotter for the money. You’re not going to resolve bullet holes in paper or see fine details in failing light. Due to larger objects, one can usually get away with higher magnification on a spotting scope than a rifle scope. When it’s windy and there is lots of heat, I’ve found I can get away with 30x at best. Mornings and late in the day when I can crank it up, I don’t find myself wanting at 45x.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We keep our spotter on the lowest setting 90% of the time. Winter time we can crank it up but dont need to. And then you need a good Tripod and the FREAKIN LIST GOES ON and on and on. Its big fun but like everything else $$$$

Vortex makes a new 18X Kaibab binos that would be very versatile. A lot of good options.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 09-28-18 at 11:19.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'd start working on 500 yard consistency first. Get your hits with practice on wind holds to the point where you've got good, predictable 1st round hits.

I don't know your abilities or history, but I know that I sent a few too many wasteful rounds at 1k trying to get ahead of my ability/experience.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    With the gear you have you could go out today and make hits, and slowly add and improve your gear as you learn and prioritize. It would help to go shoot with a buddy that could spot for you. When you first start, its hard to make shots and stay on the gun to watch your hits and misses. I would make getting the barrel threaded a priority if its not, so you can add a BRAKE and then possible a can down the road. The brake will make shooting and tracking sooooo much easier. 308 isn't bad, but a brake makes it very comfortable to shoot for the entire range session without wearing and flinching and yanking the trigger.

Good luck Mist!

PB
    The only thing keeping me from going out to the range right now, is time & money. I'll be shifting the money I put on the scope to a spotting scope or binos and ammo. I'm waiting for an NF 20 MOA scope mount RedPill offered me.

I'm gonna try to get out to the range this weekend and see how it goes. I don't have a shooting buddy to act as a spotter.

The range has steel at various yardages. (Last time I was out there, I was hitting steel at 400 yards with a scoped AR pistol rested on my range bag at the bench.) I plan to start at the closer ranges and work my way out.

You guys have been a big help answering my questions, steering me away from the wrong scope and giving helpful tips.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 09-28-18 at 12:29.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I don't have a shooting buddy to act as a spotter.
    This is critical. If you build your shooting position solidly, you can spot for yourself... especially if there's a good back stop to see any misses.

When I first started out, I had no brake or can on my .308, and I sucked at setting up my prone position. I'd get blown off target and couldn't spot for myself very well. Getting a buddy who is with you regularly is more valuable than anything you can purchase.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score

Getting Started Shooting at 1000 Yards

Mark is right. I’d highly recommend a training class. If you were closer, I’d give you a free one.

If you’re shooting alone, the spotting scope will be of limited use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    This is critical. If you build your shooting position solidly, you can spot for yourself... especially if there's a good back stop to see any misses.

When I first started out, I had no brake or can on my .308, and I sucked at setting up my prone position. I'd get blown off target and couldn't spot for myself very well. Getting a buddy who is with you regularly is more valuable than anything you can purchase.
    Big +1 to this. My range has backstops for the various distances and the soil practically explodes when hit. Combined with a mb, this makes spotting and estimating misses much easier.

Mark/PB - you guys got any solid tips for practicing first round hits? I feel like you only get one chance for the session unless conditions really change.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by marco.g View Post
    Mark/PB - you guys got any solid tips for practicing first round hits? I feel like you only get one chance for the session unless conditions really change.
    At our spot, the 900 and 1000 yard targets are tricky. Knowing your gun and load is key, cuz then all you have to do is make the correct wind call. The thing we DON'T do, that I learned in class, is to WAIT on the wind until it's at a condition where you're confident about your call. We just Type A ram jam the shot.... which does have value too. Real world/hunting, etc. does not allow you to wait forever on good wind.

At 500 yards, a first round miss is not acceptable. We still get them on some guns, but that's the standard. It's the "pop quiz". First shot of the session, shoot the 500, and don't miss.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I don't have a shooting buddy to act as a spotter.
    I find myself in that position a lot, especially when I cant make a competition but still want to practice, all of my shooting/travelling partners are away at the shoot I cant make.

Phoneskope and a few other companies make adapters that allow you to attach a camera phone to your spotting scope. You can record a video through the spotting scope, and replay the video to see your misses. Not as fast/convenient as having a real live spotter, but better than nothing.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    At 500 yards, a first round miss is not acceptable. We still get them on some guns, but that's the standard. It's the "pop quiz". First shot of the session, shoot the 500, and don't miss.
    Tried, I really tried today. Second round hit at 500m, wind was dancing between 7-15ish mph full value.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by marco.g View Post
    Tried, I really tried today. Second round hit at 500m, wind was dancing between 7-15ish mph full value.
    That's more wind than we usually see. A 500 that wind makes it easy to just miss off the edge of a target.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast