Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adjustable gas block for a 16" carbine length rifle

Feedback Score

Adjustable gas block for a 16" carbine length rifle

Was curious of your guy's take on running an adjustable gas block on a carbine length rifle to simply cut off alittle gas to a rifle that is considered by most to be slightly over gassed?

Would you guys call this unnecessary fiddling with something that isnt broken? (honestly the response im most expecting lol)

A half decent idea considering mid length guns are much more popular these days?

Or something in between?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If the gas port is sized right then it shouldn't be a problem.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I would do it simply for the experience. I learned a lot while experimenting with tuning my AR.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Google “M4c sentry 7” or take a look at Black River Tactical’s offerings. I just ordered one of their EZTune gas tubes so I wouldn’t have to add moving parts to a gun I want to choke down a bit.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I would definitely do it... assuming you don't have a fixed front sight base. Adjustable gas blocks work really well. You'll usually find only one setting that gets the gun running nice before the next lower setting starts to impact function. But that one setting is worth it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I’ll be that guy. I started out using SLR Sentry 7 and Wilson Combat adjustable GB on my SBR’s and precision AR’s. They work great until they don’t.

Since then my opinion on “go-to” rifles or HD/SD rifles is that an adjustable gas block introduces another point of failure that doesn’t exist with a low pro GB for example. If I had a fun, built only for fun - a range toy so to speak, then that might be different. I would agree that there is something to be learned from adjusting a gas block and seeing the impact the volume of gas has on type of bullet, .223 vs. higher pressure 5.56 for example. Or the impact it has on what happens on empty mag lock back, or when the bolt fails to extract. Definitely a learning opportunity and kinda neat to get your AR shooting as soft as possible. However I no longer view that as practical.

Ultimately, I have learned using a combination of things like barrel choice and an A5 buffer system can improve recoil impulse. Someone also taught me running a bead of high temp RTV along the “horseshoe” of the charging handle is a very inexpensive but efficient way to direct gas away from your face, when shooting suppressed, if that’s one of your goals.

I’ve shot one of BRT’s reduced port gas blocks. Shot it on a DD 11.5 (gassy SBR) and I won’t lie, that thing shot so flipping smooth it was like shooting a different rifle altogether.

So for me, it’s not worth it. There are possible some exceptions, but all my AR’s now use standard low-pro GB’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Okay, I’ll bite .
    What kind of failure did you experience? I know some adjustable gas blocks aren’t rated for full auto. Should I be worried if I strictly shoot in semi?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the replies guys

It seems i should have specified some stuff

The rifle in question hasnt been malfunctioning and its not a go-to rifle in any way

I was thinking of installing a long rail on it anyways to try it out and see how i liked shooting a rifle set up that way

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Just to clarify a few concepts that are often conflated...

Proper gas drive and Optimal gas system configuration are two separate, but related things.

For example, a 16" CAR isn't necessarily overgassed; that depends on the gas port size.

But even if the gas port is correct, it will never be an Optimal configuration because the gas system is too short relative to the barrel length.

The only ways to make a 16" CAR barrel totally correct are to extend the gas system or shorten the barrel length.

Quote Originally Posted by trvsAR View Post
    Was curious of your guy's take on running an adjustable gas block on a carbine length rifle to simply cut off alittle gas to a rifle that is considered by most to be slightly over gassed?
    Quote Originally Posted by trvsAR View Post
    The rifle in question hasnt been malfunctioning and its not a go-to rifle in any way

I was thinking of installing a long rail on it anyways to try it out and see how i liked shooting a rifle set up that way
    Last edited by Clint; 09-27-18 at 08:26.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    I’ll be that guy. I started out using SLR Sentry 7 and Wilson Combat adjustable GB on my SBR’s and precision AR’s. They work great until they don’t.
    You've had Adjustables fail???
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast