G&R Tactical

Thread: Current SOTA for Recce style optics

Feedback Score

Current SOTA for Recce style optics

This wasn't match maker match maker match my carbine with an optic.

I was asking about mid power variables.

Close the thread.
    Last edited by noonesshowmonkey; 10-05-18 at 19:34. Reason: cut the shit

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I would respectfully disagree with the statement that they straddle the line without doing anything well. I would say they do everything pretty darn well, and that accounts for their extreme popularity. Let me throw another choice in the mix: the NF NX8. While smaller, and less expensive than the ATACR, it’s 90% of the scope. It’s a scope that’s 17oz, is the footprint of most 1-4’s, and is a FFP, daylight bright, 1-8. While the eyebox is not as free and easy as an Aimpoint, you have the ability to reach out and ID targets at the extremes of the 5.56’s capabilities. Step up to the ATACR, and you’re in Precision scope territory. I own and shoot both, so I’m intimately aware of the capabilities of each. Literally yesterday I was hitting, not just shooting “at”, but hitting steel silhouettes at 800yds with my KAC LPR. You’re not going to do that with an Aimpoint, and you won’t do it as well with an ACOG. I have an ACOG...in my safe. It is 90’s technology compared to what optics can do now. Not even in the same conversation. I also have the NF 2.5-10x24, on a .308 gasser. The ATACR 1-8 lacks that last 2X on the top end, but for a 5.56, I like the true 1X on the bottom to be able to run it like a red dot. The 2.5-10 needs an offset red dot to be able to run entries, or CQB drills. Point is 1-8 gets you out as far as a 5.56 can go, with a bottom end that’s a true 1X red dot.
    Not that it doesn’t do any of it well, it does all of it great.

Feedback Score
    74 (100%)
    I would like to add that a Recce Rifle is not a MK12 SPR, so feel free to put any optic on it that you want in the 1-4x, 1-6x, 1-8x, 2-7x, 2-10x range and you will be good.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    deleted.
    Last edited by noonesshowmonkey; 10-05-18 at 19:34.

Feedback Score
    74 (100%)
    What length barrel and what distances do you plan to shoot it at?
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell