Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NZSDF rifles receive new firing pins

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

NZSDF rifles receive new firing pins

Apologies if this not the proper place to post this for discussion but it is an interesting read.

According to a New Zealand Herald Article the LMT Mars-L rifles have received a fleet wide replacement of their firing pins. On top of that there were notes of cracking in the bolt carrier (not the bolt proper) as well as minor parts breakage experienced in the FCG.

I could see hammer springs failing at high round counts.

I can see one of the suppliers for LMT screwing up on the firing pins.

But cracking on the bolt carrier is a new one. Is it possible that the reporter who is probably not a "gun guy" mistook the carrier key bolts as a part of the carrier and ran with it or do you think it was an actual failure in the carrier itself?

It isn't like the MK262 they are issuing as their round is a M855A1 pressure round.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Trigger issue is probably disconnectors. As for the rest, it's anyone's guess since the American media can't most gun related stuff correct.

Quote Originally Posted by MorphCross View Post
    Apologies if this not the proper place to post this for discussion but it is an interesting read.

According to a New Zealand Herald Article the LMT Mars-L rifles have received a fleet wide replacement of their firing pins. On top of that there were notes of cracking in the bolt carrier (not the bolt proper) as well as minor parts breakage experienced in the FCG.

But cracking on the bolt carrier is a new one. Is it possible that the reporter who is probably not a "gun guy" mistook the carrier key bolts as a part of the carrier and ran with it or do you think it was an actual failure in the carrier itself?

It isn't like the MK262 they are issuing as their round is a M855A1 pressure round.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Interesting read

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Trigger issue is probably disconnectors. As for the rest, it's anyone's guess since the American media can't most gun related stuff correct.
    I'm going to go out on a limb and guess it's the MIM gas keys!

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by .45fmjoe View Post
    Does LMT use MIM gas keys on their enhanced bcgs?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by .45fmjoe View Post
    I doubt that.
    "Knowledge without experience is just information"--Mark Twain

Hindsight is 6920

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    My understanding is at one point LMT did use MIM gas keys but they were later changed back to the correct gas keys. I want to say it was a few years ago and not recently, but I could be wrong.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MorphCross View Post

Thanks for posting this. This is very interesting. I'll wait for more information (and probably more accurate information) to come out before jumping to any conclusions. If anyone finds out more information, please post it.

I find it hard to believe the bolt carrier bodies cracked. But I can see the gas key screws breaking and leading to cracked gas keys.

Does anyone know if these firing pins are supposed to be standard mil-spec , or are they specific to this gun?

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    I noticed the link for the Firearm Blog article is no longer working, page not found. I'm guessing maybe they heard from LMT and a request was put in to take the article down for inaccurate or disputed information. I'm also speculating that the original source New Zealand news article was perhaps a little overblown and or inaccurate as to the severity of the problem or what the problem or problems actually are.

After doing a little research it appears the New Zealanders are very happy with the rifle but wanted better than military spec. and once the "niggles" are worked out they will have the rifle the way they want it. Click on the link and scroll down to page 4 for an Army News article from New Zealand. http://army.mil.nz/downloads/pdf/arm...rmynews493.pdf

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I'd like to know if my LMT firing pins are GTG now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast