Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cmmg 22lr conversion

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I have found accuracy with AR .22 uppers is never fantastic, but then again, I'm not sure of anyone who is shooting super accurate ammo through them either. It is usually cheap blasting ammo, or whatever was on sale at the time.
    I found the quality of the ammo makes a difference CCI .22 Long Rifle 40gr Copper Plated RN AR Tactical works well but the bulk thunderbolt ammo is spotty.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I have had no real ammo issues other than thunderbolt is dirty and sometimes light charge.

Next week i am going to see what accuracy I can get. 25,50 and 100yards
    Last edited by sliver_back; 09-28-18 at 06:49.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    In my experience, plated ammo is more reliable than exposed lead ammo as a general rule

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    My buddy has a CMMG 22lr upper. Does best so far with CCI Mini-Mags.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Cmmg 22lr conversion

That is significantly cheaper, but I think that the M&P 15-22 is superior. The only downside (depending where you live) is that it’s another firearm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 09-30-18 at 13:26.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    That is significantly cheaper, but I think that the M&P 15-22 is superior. The only downside (depending where you live) is that it’s another firearm.

I was under the impression that S&W's offering had issues with firing out of battery. Only reason I've never picked one up.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    I was under the impression that S&W's offering had issues with firing out of battery. Only reason I've never picked one up.
    That’s news to me. The first run had some problems with feeding or extracting IIRC, but they quickly identified and fixed the issue by using a different spring that they colored blue to distinguish it from the problematic model. I bought mine years ago and have put a few thousand through it without any issues, aside from typical .22 drama between different ammo types.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    That’s news to me. The first run had some problems with feeding or extracting IIRC, but they quickly identified and fixed the issue by using a different spring that they colored blue to distinguish it from the problematic model. I bought mine years ago and have put a few thousand through it without any issues, aside from typical .22 drama between different ammo types.

Good deal. They got to the point the were banned at Appleseed matches, never heard if they were fixed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ccosby View Post
    With the cmmg kit I personally use the better mag adapter that lets you use the smith and wesson m&p15-22 mags. The mags are usually cheaper, easier to load, and it has last round bolt hold open. I was having issues with the cmmg mags personally.
    Second that. This is the adapter I use: https://www.redi-mag.com/index.php?l...ct_detail&p=52

I have plenty of BlackDog mags to loan to folks who use my loaner bolts (see below) but I run the S&W's in the dedicated 22 Training Rifle.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I posted this a couple years ago. Since then I bought two additional conversion bolts to loan to other shooters (primarily sons ands gandsons) during a sale)

Earlier this year I put together a dedicated 22 rifle for my daughters using the following parts:

CMMG 20 inch barrel with sight
    CMMG Bravo Conversion
    CMMG Barrel Collar
    CMMG Anti-Jam Charging Handle
    BCM Upper (blem)
    A2 Handguards
    PSA 6/3 Carry Handle (sale)
    PSA Complete Lower (sale)
    Blackdog 30 round mag x 2
    Blackdog 10 round mag x 2

I have about 850.00 total in the rifle and magazines.

The daughters both have Marlin 90 rifles with Tech-Sight aperture sights, I went with this build over purchasing a M&P 15-22 in order for them to have a dedicated CMP training rifle and something suitable for .22 3gun (they have M&P 22's and GSG 1911-22's plus a 20ga 870). We are doing a couple of Appleseeds this summer and I hope to finish with the KD Appleseed at Raton in October. Depending on how that goes I'll build another .22 like this one.

I had some initial problems with FTE's. I had degreased everything, treated the bore with Kroil, cleaned, then lubed the conversion. I left the chamber dry as I could. After the FTE's I polished/scrubbed the chamber with a .22 brush, cleaned and tried again. Nope. At this point I felt it was the extractor, even though it looked fine the spring seemed weak. I called CMMG and talked with tech support. They suggested that I 'buzz' the chamber a little more aggressively than I had. I purchased a pack of 3 Bore-Tech 6mm brushes at the LGS, chucked one into the drill (electic for some RPM) dunked it into some Brush Research honing oil and went to town for about 45 seconds. Cleaned it up and went back to the range.

(NOTE THIS IS FOR A DEDICATED BARREL)

As I reported in an earlier post - it worked fine. I sighted it in and then, dang I just was having so much fun I went through most of a brick of Federal Auto Match. I am hoping that the groups tighten up as I/they get some more rounds through it - it isn't shooting as good as their Marlin 60's.

I think, that depending on what you want the .22 AR for, this is an easy, fun way to get a good CMP training rifle. You can get an M&P 15-22 for about 1/2 - 2/3 what I have in this, but it doesn't fit my specific needs/desires as well. Plus, you have a lower you can use with another upper.

Just thought this might be useful.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-the-Daughters
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12