Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Staked front sight flew off, now what?

Feedback Score

Staked front sight flew off, now what?

Hey guys,

I decided to go to the range and get some practice in. After 11 rounds of some Freedom Munitions 230 gr, I discovered the damned staked front sight broke and flew off. Some old timers I know said, "it happens," but I know it's not supposed to happen.

Anyway, what are my choices now? Should I just replace with a basic staked front sight; how much should that cost? Get a dovetail cut? What sight system to you all recommend?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Send the slide to novak and have them cut both front and back for novak cuts. Opens up your sight options tremendously. I think it was only $50 and some shipping to send them my slide. Turn aound was pretty quick.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    It does happen. A Colt staked front will usually come loose or off between 1-1.5K rounds. Count on it.

As said, you want a Novak front and rear or a Novak front and the stock rear. Harrison's Retro rear is very nice.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Dove tail cut time.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    If you want to keep the traditional front sight look then order Brownells staking tool and whatever front sight you want.

If you decide to go with a dovetail cut, just understand that both front and rear will need to be changed.
    Religion is doing what you are told no matter what is right. Morality is doing what is right no matter what you are told...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    You don't have to change the rear. A Novak front the same height as stock will work just fine.

I like to use a stock 70 Series rear or a Harrison Retro rear with a Novak front for clean retro look.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    if you are going to keep it original and get a replacement staked sight.

there is a technique from years past where you take a dremel round attachment and slightly bevel the inside of the stem hole....that way when you re-stake it flares out the sight stem for a better hold.

make sure to clean and degrease. some type of adhesive or red loctite for additional insurance.

Somewhere I have a Kings Gun Works staking tool. that is showing my age.

Feedback Score
    deleted
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 12-18-18 at 17:45.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Heinie uses Novak dovetail dimensions. Novaks front sights are as good as any. They're 'overplayed' because they are very high quality sights and their dovetail cuts are industry standards.

Feedback Score
    It happens with staked sights.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast