Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S&w M&P 2.0 9mm vs .45

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

S&w M&P 2.0 9mm vs .45

My G19's have become house/car guns. They've moved pretty far down the list as far as guns I like shoot so it's time to change.

Really like the M&P 2.0 Sheild .45 (got mine back in trade because I missed it) and now I want my house/car pistols to match.

Since this will mean new mags and a holster (I always get a quality holster for a gun I may carry) I'm starting from scratch here.

I'm deciding between 4 guns. The 9mm 2.0 5-inch, full size or compact or a 2.0 .45. (No manual safeties)

My Sheild has a decent trigger and I expect the same from the larger 2.0's. I most likely would be changing any internal parts.

I'm impressed with the mild recoil of the Sheild .45. Is the full-size 2.0 .45 the same in this regard?

How do the grips of these guns differ? (Medium sized hand) Handling/recoil characteristics? Reliability? Accuracy? Holster options today? Mag availability and price 9mm vs. .45?

I think the largest mags are 17 rd 9mm and 14 rd .45, right?
    Last edited by Ron3; 09-28-18 at 13:06.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    My G19's have become house/car guns. They've moved pretty far down the list as far as guns I like shoot so it's time to change.

Really like the M&P 2.0 Sheild .45 (got mine back in trade because I missed it) and now I want my house/car pistols to match.

Since this will mean new mags and a holster (I always get a quality holster for a gun I may carry) I'm starting from scratch here.

I'm deciding between 4 guns. The 9mm 2.0 5-inch, full size or compact or a 2.0 .45. (No manual safeties)

My Sheild has a decent trigger and I expect the same from the larger 2.0's. I most likely would be changing any internal parts.

I'm impressed with the mild recoil of the Sheild .45. Is the full-size 2.0 .45 the same in this regard?

How do the grips of these guns differ? (Medium sized hand) Handling/recoil characteristics? Reliability? Accuracy? Holster options today? Mag availability and price 9mm vs. .45?

I think the largest mags are 17 rd 9mm and 14 rd .45, right?
    G43 will solve any internal dilemma.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentRecon View Post
    G43 will solve any internal dilemma.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    I'm choosing between these 4 guns to be house/car guns with the option to carry. I have other guns for primary carry.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have a Gen 1 Shield, and out of the box, the M2.0 trigger is far superior. An Apex sear brought the Shield down to about 4.5 pounds with basically no creep....a damn fine trigger. The 5" has a bit of creep, and the striker is released at a hair under 6 pounds. Creep is minimal enough that if it settles in at around 5 1/2 pounds, I'll leave it stock, which is rare for me.

I shot a 5" M2.0 last weekend, and one arrived at my FFL yesterday. With carrying part of the plan, I suggest a full sized 4.25" model. I don't know how reliable they are, but +6 base pads are available, as well as 32 round (or some other high number.....I've no interest) aftermarket magazines. I also shot an M2.0 Compact on the same day, and as expected, it was similar to the 5", and I noticed no difference in the grip. They were rented one at a time, so I wasn't able to compare them directly.

I've never shot an M&P .45, so can't give any info on it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    I have a Gen 1 Shield, and out of the box, the M2.0 trigger is far superior. An Apex sear brought the Shield down to about 4.5 pounds with basically no creep....a damn fine trigger. The 5" has a bit of creep, and the striker is released at a hair under 6 pounds. Creep is minimal enough that if it settles in at around 5 1/2 pounds, I'll leave it stock, which is rare for me.

I shot a 5" M2.0 last weekend, and one arrived at my FFL yesterday. With carrying part of the plan, I suggest a full sized 4.25" model. I don't know how reliable they are, but +6 base pads are available, as well as 32 round (or some other high number.....I've no interest) aftermarket magazines. I also shot an M2.0 Compact on the same day, and as expected, it was similar to the 5", and I noticed no difference in the grip. They were rented one at a time, so I wasn't able to compare them directly.

I've never shot an M&P .45, so can't give any info on it.
    Thanks.

Yea, the 5 inch is pretty long and not necessary for my intended uses. I think I can scratch that one.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If I didn't already have an old Glock 23, with 9mm barrel, I'd have likely chosen the full frame, 4.25" barrel option. An attractive price didn't hurt, though.

Thanks to the lack of a full beaver tail, it's still shorter than a 5" 1911. Lots of people carry those IWB, so it's certainly do-able, but hardly optimal.

I dry fired it about 100 times last night, so I think I'm gonna check out the trigger weight again. It averaged to 5 pounds 8 oz from about 5 pulls, so I'm gonna save some money and leave it as is. Ignoring the takeup, it's as good as most standard (Springfield, Colt, etc) 1911 triggers.

The Glock is my only semi-auto without a safety, and I don't plan to buy any more.
    Last edited by grizzman; 09-28-18 at 16:13.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Thanks.

Yea, the 5 inch is pretty long and not necessary for my intended uses. I think I can scratch that one.
    They just released the 45 compact. Has a 4” bbl. I think it’s like the 2.0 answer to the 1.0 45 mid size. 10rd gun.
    "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm choosing between these 4 guns to be house/car guns with the option to carry. I have other guns for primary carry.
    I don't understand the difference. Can't carry guns be house guns? Guns don't know where they are.

I would keep the 19 and use the money not spent on ammo.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    I don't understand the difference. Can't carry guns be house guns? Guns don't know where they are.

I would keep the 19 and use the money not spent on ammo.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    My carry guns are smaller than a Glock 19. But I do want the option.

Small pistols sacrifice caliber, capacity, and size to be more pleasant to carry and conceal. House/car pistols don't have to make those concessions. At the same time, house/car pistols are handier than long guns.

I already have ammo. Although not much .45. I'll have to buy more of that.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

S&w M&P 2.0 9mm vs .45

2.0 Compact and Shield in 9mm are both great shooters. I was very accurate with both. I found the stock trigger of the Shield to be noticeably better than the Compact. However, I would probably Apex both. I also would not hesitate to carry either, and plan to do so.

Edit: The only issue I had was pinching my hand when inserting a mag in the Shield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by scooter22; 09-30-18 at 22:46.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast