Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Mounting Surefire X300 on a Carbine

Feedback Score

Help with Mounting Surefire X300 on a Carbine

I admit my carbine light and mount are an old school Surefire G2 converted to LED in a VLTOR mount attached to a Midwest Industries FSB rail. I've had this setup since 2010 and never felt the need to change.

Recently, I ended up with a "like new" Surefire X300 in a trade. First thing I did was mount it to the MI rail that attaches to the FSB of the carbine.

Bad idea.

Not only could I not open the battery compartment door while it was mounted to this type of rail, but also I had to tap it off the rail with a rubber mallet.

Not knowing much about this type of light, I'm guessing it was meant to be mounted to a pistol moreso than a carbine. It slid on and off my Glock 17 like it was custom-made for it.

So, assuming it was manufactured with a mounting method appropriate to the Glock, is there any way I can mount it to a picatinny rail on my carbine and still allow the battery compartment door to open?

I got the light by itself: no other parts, box, or accessories came with it.

So total newbie question on this type of light: am I stuck mounting it to the Glock or is there some type of adapter or quick-detach mount that allow me to attach it to a 1913 rail? I'm okay with it being hard to remove from the rail--IF--I can still open the battery door to change batteries.

I hate mounting it to the Glock because it seems to change the point of impact. I'd much rather have it on the rifle.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 09-28-18 at 16:21.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    It’s really meant to be removed from the weapon to change the batteries. I’m not sure if you could mount it to a small mlok/keymod rail section so the back end of the light hangs off the rail section.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Does yours have the rail-lock, or the QD mount? Either way, is it a picatinny or the universal mount? You should see either a "P" or a "U" on the part that slides up to the weapon between the grooves that ride on the rails of your weapon.

All 3 of mine have loosened up considerably with use, as well. They are usually very tight when new, in my limited experience. I've had to tap them off a few times, both on pistols & rifles.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LMT Shooter View Post
    Does yours have the rail-lock, or the QD mount? Either way, is it a picatinny or the universal mount? You should see either a "P" or a "U" on the part that slides up to the weapon between the grooves that ride on the rails of your weapon.

All 3 of mine have loosened up considerably with use, as well. They are usually very tight when new, in my limited experience. I've had to tap them off a few times, both on pistols & rifles.
    I'd have to look again. I believe the mount on the actual light has a series of tiny screws on both sides. It has a spring-loaded latch in the middle that locks into a rail slot. Like I said: it fits my Glock like the mount is dedicated to it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    They're tight on Picatinny rails but do loosen up after it's removed a few times. You can use the P or U lug on a Picatinny rail, makes no difference.

Feedback Score
    What about some type of offset mount that allows you to open the battery compartment door without dismounting the flashlight? It seems to me that even though you won't change batteries that often, the rail loosens up every time you take it off. I'd rather leave it permanently in place if possible.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've been taking them off & putting them back on for a few years, mine didn't keep getting looser every time you take them off after the initial period of getting looser, if that's what you're worried about. I think they get looser just being on the gun.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    If that's the rail lock mount (-A model), then there are a couple of things you can do with the mounting system. First, as already mentioned, is make sure you have the 1913 slot (P) installed. If not, email Surefire and they'll probably send you a replacement for free. Second, to adjust the fit to your rail, slightly loosen the six Allen screws and slide the light onto the rail so that the mount slightly expands. Then tighten down the screws to keep it that way. Sounds like it'll probably be a bit loose on your Glock after this adjustment.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Arisaka defense has a couple of options:
    https://arisakadefense.com/collectio...ny-mount-m-lok
    This is just one of several options. I've seen other options for pic rail mounting solutions.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I have an X300U mounted with a https://arisakadefense.com/collectio...1913-fsb-mount and just slide the light off to change batteries.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast