Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger American Pistol

Feedback Score

Ruger American Pistol

Ruger introduced this pistol with some fanfare, but it seems to have fallen completely off the radar since then. With the G19X, P320 and others taking most of the spotlight, is this gun making very much money for Ruger?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As I understand it was initially designed to be an entry in the MHS competition, but Ruger never actually entered the competition, instead they entered the civilian market with it.

I've held them, but never shot one. It doesn't seem like a bad little pistol, but it didn't give me the buy me now vibe.

I think that it will sell best to either Ruger fans, or to first time buyers. One of the reasons I wouldn't buy one is because of my investment in holsters, etc. for the G17/19/22 and the M&P 2.0's. Didn't seem to make much sense to jump on another striker-fired pistol in my eyes.

First time buyers don't have that dilemma. I see them running about $150.00 to $200.00 below MSRP, don't know how Ruger is actually pricing them to dealers/distributors. If the LGS can make better bucks they will push them to first time buyers.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    It’s definitely a first time buyer type gun, like most of Ruger’s centerfire semi auto lineup.

Good value, generally reliable (and backed by a good warranty), not a huge aftermarket but good for people who will buy, shoot a box of ammo, then keep it in a sock drawer for the next 1-50 years.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    With what's going on at Ruger right now, many aren't buying.

They're definitely priced for the entry level buyer.

Feedback Score
    What's up with Ruger?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    What's up with Ruger?
    No one bats 1,000, and the service pistol category is one they have always struggled in sales-wise. The P89 was ungainly but strong, the P95DC was much smoother but late to the game.

They make their money elsewhere, though I would still love to see a svelte 20ga O/U from them.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifting Fate View Post
    No one bats 1,000, and the service pistol category is one they have always struggled in sales-wise. The P89 was ungainly but strong, the P95DC was much smoother but late to the game.

They make their money elsewhere, though I would still love to see a svelte 20ga O/U from them.
    The P-85's were excellent pistols for their time EXCEPT - decocker and sights. Why no one, or Ruger for that matter, ever made hi-vis sights and a more user friendly decock/safety levers for them I'll never know. You c o u l d n o t break one. Totally dependable pistols.

My wife still has her P-85 (first duty auto) and enjoys shooting it.

Ruger stuff is sturdy.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    The American didn’t do much for me that the SR series already did, plus I think there ugly.

Feedback Score
    Looks like the RAP has some issues:

https://www.ruger.com/dataProcess/APRetrofit/?r=banner

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have an early production American and have used it in both IDPA and 3Gun. It had some extraction issues early on but Ruger sent me a new extractor for free. After that it has been boringly reliable.

Accuracy is good and the gun shoots well in slow fire. But the back strap is aggressively curved which causes the gun to point high and shoot high for me in competition. The trigger is okay. Nothing extra and the reset is probably longer than it needs to be.

Otherwise, the gun is heavy and kind of big for a 4" 9mm. The weight is due to the frame chassis being a machined block rather than a stamping as with the 320. Machining it out of aluminum would probably lighten the gun a bit and would maybe lower costs too.

I did take an LE armorer class a couple years ago. Nearly everyone remarked at how mechanically strange the frame is. The sear is also the firing pin block and locks the striker via a big crossbar that moves out of the way as the trigger is pressed. Interesting and unique but it makes the gun difficult to work on and reassemble. Not nearly as easy as the Glock, M&P or 320.

Overall I guess the American is fine but it could use some Gen2 treatment. Fix a few ergos and clean up the trigger. Maybe lighten it up a bit as mentioned above and it would be as good as anything else out there.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast