Thread: Colt HBAR 16" cut to 11.5" without opening up the gas port?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Colt HBAR 16" cut to 11.5" without opening up the gas port?

There's a local guy selling an 11.5" Colt HBAR complete upper that was cut down from 16". It's 1:9 twist and he said he did not change the gas port size. He says it runs reliably and has no problems with stabilization with many different 55 and 62 grain loads. Does this seem plausible? I've only ran barrels in factory configurations with the exceptions of AK's which don't give a shit about barrel length.
    Last edited by Five_Point_Five_Six; 10-01-18 at 10:28.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I suppose it depends on the gas port size. Modern 16" Colt barrels run a .0625" gas port. I have one 11.5" barrel with a .063" BRT Micro Port and it will run 5.56 spec ammo unsuppressed.

At the end of the day, it depends how much he wants for the barrel. Quality made new 11.5" barrels can be found for reasonable prices using good gas port sizes. I'm also of the opinion that short AR barrels should be 1:7 or at the most, 1:8 twist. Slower velocities equals lower RPMs.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The port seems a little small for unsuppressed use, but would be almost perfect for a dedicated suppressed upper.

The twist rate might be limiting too.

If you can pick it up for a song, great, but there are many good alternatives available these days.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Unless its like $100, Id pass.
    Is it really colt? Who cut it down? Twist rate is a potential issue.

With current barrel prices and offerings, I would go with a brand new known quantity.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I'm gonna pass. He has a receipt from a local gunsmith for the cut, crown and threading service totaling $150. He's asking $300 obo but it's not worth the headache to me even if he takes less.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    I'm gonna pass. He has a receipt from a local gunsmith for the cut, crown and threading service totaling $150. He's asking $300 obo but it's not worth the headache to me even if he takes less.

Ha, nope. You can get brand new factory Colt HBAR FBI 11.5” 1/7 twist barrels for that or less.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH.

No.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB