G&R Tactical
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 48 of 48

Thread: Noveske, Daniel Defense, or other? (CHF Barrel)

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    2,443
    Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron-E View Post
    As of now no. But that might change in the future. I live in Canada so Suppressors are illegal. But lately a lot has been going well. Quebec just kicked out the Liberals. And that's saying a lot since the 2 parties in Quebec are Liberals and extreme Liberals lol. And one year from now is the federal election. So who knows? lol.
    Just out of curiosity what muzzle device are you planning on using?

    And if you really donít plan on running a can, you probably should look at a barrel with a larger gas port. As Fledge, myself and others have stated smaller gas port barrels often donít play friendly with lower pressure 223 ammo. Also on the gas block diameter, thatís usually driven by the type of barrel. For example on more lightweight barrels, like pencil barrels, youíll often see a .625 gas block diameter. On thicker barrels, SOCOM, Daniel Defense Govít profile barrels will have the .750 GB diameter you mentioned. That really has no bearing on gas port size. (At least to my knowledge.)

    In light of reading that you are likely not going to use a can, if I were you, I would pick up a Daniel Defense CHF 12.5 or a Noveske 12.5. I am pretty familiar with the function of DD barrels and I absolutely regret selling my 11.5. Iíve also got a good friend running a 12.5 Noveske thatís got 20k down the pipe and it is still his go-to shtf rifle. He deployed with that upper in fact.
    The DD has a larger gas port, .076 I believe and it will run everything you feed it. I ran my 11.5 with an A5H2/ Sprinco green spring and an LMT Enhanced Carrier with a standard LMT bolt. Later on I replaced the phosphate LMT bolt with a Sionics bolt completion kit.
    In that configuration, it ran without a SINGLE failure. Zero FTFís. Zero failure to eject. Zero failure to lock back on empty mag.
    Was it on the gassy side? Yes it was. Initially I ran an adjustable gas block, (SLR Sentry 7) but later I replaced that with a standard gas block and I ran a small bead of high temp RTV along the charging handle horseshoe. That inexpensive ($4.99) but absolutely effective solution eliminated much of the gas in my face - but keep in mind - the gas was only a problem for me when I used a suppressor. Without it, I did not have a problem with gas in the face.
    Iím not a super fan of adjustable GBís but if you are planning on using one, I think using it in conjunction with a barrel with an already small port is a waste of money. The reason guys normally buy adjustable gas blocks is to reduce gas flow. If youíre using a Centurion Arms or Hodge defense, you are already dealing with a smaller than ďnormalĒ port.
    If your rifle is a HD/SHTF, along with accuracy, reliability has reign as king. All the smooth shooting fans and sub MOA accuracy wonít mean squat if your buddy throws you a mag of ammo hat wonít cycle properly. If you get MOA out of your barrel and your weapon functions very single time you pull the trigger, then youíve accomplished your mission. Victory. On the barrel side - considering all things youíve identified as a requirement, I would hands down go with a DD barrel. Itís just a well made barrel. I like Cold Hammer Forged barrels personally so that contributes to my ďaffectionĒ towards DD barrels. (Iíve also owned a couple.). I donít have first hand experience with a Noveske short barrel, but I do own a Noveske Afghan 14.5 and it is the most accurate 14.5 Iíve owned and Iíve owned a few. Iím not a clone guy, but the fact the DD MK18, which has no doubt slain a multitude of terrorist scumbags uses the same barrel blanks and made with the same hydraulic hammers and mandrils as the barrel you can buy today.... well thatís not such a bad thing at all.
    Pardon any misspellings, I hammered this out on my phone. :-/ I was in your shoes when I built my first AR. And every AR Iíve built since that first one has a defined purpose and in a way they are all part of my shtf preparedness. So I can relate to your desire to have a rifle you can trust to do its part should you ever need it to defend your castle. Good luck to you.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ďTexas is a state of mind. Texas is an obsession. Above all, Texas is a nation in every sense of the wordĒ. J. Steinbeck


  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    21
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Just out of curiosity what muzzle device are you planning on using?

    And if you really donít plan on running a can, you probably should look at a barrel with a larger gas port. As Fledge, myself and others have stated smaller gas port barrels often donít play friendly with lower pressure 223 ammo. Also on the gas block diameter, thatís usually driven by the type of barrel. For example on more lightweight barrels, like pencil barrels, youíll often see a .625 gas block diameter. On thicker barrels, SOCOM, Daniel Defense Govít profile barrels will have the .750 GB diameter you mentioned. That really has no bearing on gas port size. (At least to my knowledge.)

    In light of reading that you are likely not going to use a can, if I were you, I would pick up a Daniel Defense CHF 12.5 or a Noveske 12.5. I am pretty familiar with the function of DD barrels and I absolutely regret selling my 11.5. Iíve also got a good friend running a 12.5 Noveske thatís got 20k down the pipe and it is still his go-to shtf rifle. He deployed with that upper in fact.
    The DD has a larger gas port, .076 I believe and it will run everything you feed it. I ran my 11.5 with an A5H2/ Sprinco green spring and an LMT Enhanced Carrier with a standard LMT bolt. Later on I replaced the phosphate LMT bolt with a Sionics bolt completion kit.
    In that configuration, it ran without a SINGLE failure. Zero FTFís. Zero failure to eject. Zero failure to lock back on empty mag.
    Was it on the gassy side? Yes it was. Initially I ran an adjustable gas block, (SLR Sentry 7) but later I replaced that with a standard gas block and I ran a small bead of high temp RTV along the charging handle horseshoe. That inexpensive ($4.99) but absolutely effective solution eliminated much of the gas in my face - but keep in mind - the gas was only a problem for me when I used a suppressor. Without it, I did not have a problem with gas in the face.
    Iím not a super fan of adjustable GBís but if you are planning on using one, I think using it in conjunction with a barrel with an already small port is a waste of money. The reason guys normally buy adjustable gas blocks is to reduce gas flow. If youíre using a Centurion Arms or Hodge defense, you are already dealing with a smaller than ďnormalĒ port.
    If your rifle is a HD/SHTF, along with accuracy, reliability has reign as king. All the smooth shooting fans and sub MOA accuracy wonít mean squat if your buddy throws you a mag of ammo hat wonít cycle properly. If you get MOA out of your barrel and your weapon functions very single time you pull the trigger, then youíve accomplished your mission. Victory. On the barrel side - considering all things youíve identified as a requirement, I would hands down go with a DD barrel. Itís just a well made barrel. I like Cold Hammer Forged barrels personally so that contributes to my ďaffectionĒ towards DD barrels. (Iíve also owned a couple.). I donít have first hand experience with a Noveske short barrel, but I do own a Noveske Afghan 14.5 and it is the most accurate 14.5 Iíve owned and Iíve owned a few. Iím not a clone guy, but the fact the DD MK18, which has no doubt slain a multitude of terrorist scumbags uses the same barrel blanks and made with the same hydraulic hammers and mandrils as the barrel you can buy today.... well thatís not such a bad thing at all.
    Pardon any misspellings, I hammered this out on my phone. :-/ I was in your shoes when I built my first AR. And every AR Iíve built since that first one has a defined purpose and in a way they are all part of my shtf preparedness. So I can relate to your desire to have a rifle you can trust to do its part should you ever need it to defend your castle. Good luck to you.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you for the well informed input! I wanted to get the Surefire CTN flashhider but I'll probably go with the 3 Prong Warcomp since it seems to mitigate the flash better with shorter barrels. I guess DD is they way to go. Especially since they're available in Canada so I can avoid ITAR.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    83
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron-E View Post
    So what would be your guys recommendation for gasport size and buffer? Here's what I plan for the build but some things might change. The ammo I'll use is Wolf/Tula Steel Case for cheap training, Hornady Critical Defense for Home Defense, and Green Tip for any SHTF stuff. So the barrel has a .750 gas port and I'll have an adjustable gas block. I'll be using the A5H0 buffer and spring. All with a Hodge Defense 12.5 barrel.

    Do you see anything wrong with this? Do I need to get the gas port cut, etc? Thanks for the help thus far gentlemen!
    Stick with A5H0 and the spring that came into the package if you want to shoot Wolf unsuppressed. It's the only combo that will lock back on last round consistently with Russian steel cased ammo when unsuppressed in my limited experience.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    21
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by yrch21 View Post
    Stick with A5H0 and the spring that came into the package if you want to shoot Wolf unsuppressed. It's the only combo that will lock back on last round consistently with Russian steel cased ammo when unsuppressed in my limited experience.
    I'm wondering about the Geissle Super 42. The spring seems like a great concept and you can play around with the weight of the buffer.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    83
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron-E View Post
    I'm wondering about the Geissle Super 42. The spring seems like a great concept and you can play around with the weight of the buffer.
    do it, and let us know your findings.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    36
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron-E View Post
    I'm wondering about the Geissle Super 42. The spring seems like a great concept and you can play around with the weight of the buffer.
    2nd this, please let us know your findings if you go this route. My wife has the Super 42 in her bcm middie, and that is smooth. Interested how it is in a 12.5".

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    2,443
    Feedback Score
    82 (100%)

    Noveske, Daniel Defense, or other? (CHF Barrel)

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron-E View Post
    I'm wondering about the Geissle Super 42. The spring seems like a great concept and you can play around with the weight of the buffer.
    Iíve heard of good things about the Super 42, though Iím not sure it was in the context of a short barrel rifle. If the standard M16 spring doesnít cut the mustard, you could give Mr. Tubbís down in Texas a call and explain your setup and issues. Iíve spoken to both him and his daughter and they made some recommendations using their Tubbís flatwire spring that totally solved my cycling problems. Plus I think theyíve got like a gazillion cycles through their spring without any compression - meaning the olí spring didnít suffer shrinkage (every mans worst fear.). Maybe not a literal gazillion, but a whole lot of cycles for sure.
    I run the flatwire in 3 of my ARís including my LMT MWS thatís running an A5 buffet system. Flawless execution.
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 10-10-18 at 02:17.
    ďTexas is a state of mind. Texas is an obsession. Above all, Texas is a nation in every sense of the wordĒ. J. Steinbeck


  8. #48
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,926
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron-E View Post
    So what would be your guys recommendation for gasport size and buffer? Here's what I plan for the build but some things might change. The ammo I'll use is Wolf/Tula Steel Case for cheap training, Hornady Critical Defense for Home Defense, and Green Tip for any SHTF stuff. So the barrel has a .750 gas port and I'll have an adjustable gas block. I'll be using the A5H0 buffer and spring. All with a Hodge Defense 12.5 barrel.

    Do you see anything wrong with this? Do I need to get the gas port cut, etc? Thanks for the help thus far gentlemen!
    I probably would NOT suggest a small gas port barrel like a Hodge then if you plan on feeding it lower pressured ammo and will not be shooting suppressed.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •