Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Noveske, Daniel Defense, or other? (CHF Barrel)

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron-E View Post
    As of now no. But that might change in the future. I live in Canada so Suppressors are illegal. But lately a lot has been going well. Quebec just kicked out the Liberals. And that's saying a lot since the 2 parties in Quebec are Liberals and extreme Liberals lol. And one year from now is the federal election. So who knows? lol.
    Just out of curiosity what muzzle device are you planning on using?

And if you really don’t plan on running a can, you probably should look at a barrel with a larger gas port. As Fledge, myself and others have stated smaller gas port barrels often don’t play friendly with lower pressure 223 ammo. Also on the gas block diameter, that’s usually driven by the type of barrel. For example on more lightweight barrels, like pencil barrels, you’ll often see a .625 gas block diameter. On thicker barrels, SOCOM, Daniel Defense Gov’t profile barrels will have the .750 GB diameter you mentioned. That really has no bearing on gas port size. (At least to my knowledge.)

In light of reading that you are likely not going to use a can, if I were you, I would pick up a Daniel Defense CHF 12.5 or a Noveske 12.5. I am pretty familiar with the function of DD barrels and I absolutely regret selling my 11.5. I’ve also got a good friend running a 12.5 Noveske that’s got 20k down the pipe and it is still his go-to shtf rifle. He deployed with that upper in fact.
    The DD has a larger gas port, .076 I believe and it will run everything you feed it. I ran my 11.5 with an A5H2/ Sprinco green spring and an LMT Enhanced Carrier with a standard LMT bolt. Later on I replaced the phosphate LMT bolt with a Sionics bolt completion kit.
    In that configuration, it ran without a SINGLE failure. Zero FTF’s. Zero failure to eject. Zero failure to lock back on empty mag.
    Was it on the gassy side? Yes it was. Initially I ran an adjustable gas block, (SLR Sentry 7) but later I replaced that with a standard gas block and I ran a small bead of high temp RTV along the charging handle horseshoe. That inexpensive ($4.99) but absolutely effective solution eliminated much of the gas in my face - but keep in mind - the gas was only a problem for me when I used a suppressor. Without it, I did not have a problem with gas in the face.
    I’m not a super fan of adjustable GB’s but if you are planning on using one, I think using it in conjunction with a barrel with an already small port is a waste of money. The reason guys normally buy adjustable gas blocks is to reduce gas flow. If you’re using a Centurion Arms or Hodge defense, you are already dealing with a smaller than “normal” port.
    If your rifle is a HD/SHTF, along with accuracy, reliability has reign as king. All the smooth shooting fans and sub MOA accuracy won’t mean squat if your buddy throws you a mag of ammo hat won’t cycle properly. If you get MOA out of your barrel and your weapon functions very single time you pull the trigger, then you’ve accomplished your mission. Victory. On the barrel side - considering all things you’ve identified as a requirement, I would hands down go with a DD barrel. It’s just a well made barrel. I like Cold Hammer Forged barrels personally so that contributes to my “affection” towards DD barrels. (I’ve also owned a couple.). I don’t have first hand experience with a Noveske short barrel, but I do own a Noveske Afghan 14.5 and it is the most accurate 14.5 I’ve owned and I’ve owned a few. I’m not a clone guy, but the fact the DD MK18, which has no doubt slain a multitude of terrorist scumbags uses the same barrel blanks and made with the same hydraulic hammers and mandrils as the barrel you can buy today.... well that’s not such a bad thing at all.
    Pardon any misspellings, I hammered this out on my phone. :-/ I was in your shoes when I built my first AR. And every AR I’ve built since that first one has a defined purpose and in a way they are all part of my shtf preparedness. So I can relate to your desire to have a rifle you can trust to do its part should you ever need it to defend your castle. Good luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Just out of curiosity what muzzle device are you planning on using?

And if you really don’t plan on running a can, you probably should look at a barrel with a larger gas port. As Fledge, myself and others have stated smaller gas port barrels often don’t play friendly with lower pressure 223 ammo. Also on the gas block diameter, that’s usually driven by the type of barrel. For example on more lightweight barrels, like pencil barrels, you’ll often see a .625 gas block diameter. On thicker barrels, SOCOM, Daniel Defense Gov’t profile barrels will have the .750 GB diameter you mentioned. That really has no bearing on gas port size. (At least to my knowledge.)

In light of reading that you are likely not going to use a can, if I were you, I would pick up a Daniel Defense CHF 12.5 or a Noveske 12.5. I am pretty familiar with the function of DD barrels and I absolutely regret selling my 11.5. I’ve also got a good friend running a 12.5 Noveske that’s got 20k down the pipe and it is still his go-to shtf rifle. He deployed with that upper in fact.
    The DD has a larger gas port, .076 I believe and it will run everything you feed it. I ran my 11.5 with an A5H2/ Sprinco green spring and an LMT Enhanced Carrier with a standard LMT bolt. Later on I replaced the phosphate LMT bolt with a Sionics bolt completion kit.
    In that configuration, it ran without a SINGLE failure. Zero FTF’s. Zero failure to eject. Zero failure to lock back on empty mag.
    Was it on the gassy side? Yes it was. Initially I ran an adjustable gas block, (SLR Sentry 7) but later I replaced that with a standard gas block and I ran a small bead of high temp RTV along the charging handle horseshoe. That inexpensive ($4.99) but absolutely effective solution eliminated much of the gas in my face - but keep in mind - the gas was only a problem for me when I used a suppressor. Without it, I did not have a problem with gas in the face.
    I’m not a super fan of adjustable GB’s but if you are planning on using one, I think using it in conjunction with a barrel with an already small port is a waste of money. The reason guys normally buy adjustable gas blocks is to reduce gas flow. If you’re using a Centurion Arms or Hodge defense, you are already dealing with a smaller than “normal” port.
    If your rifle is a HD/SHTF, along with accuracy, reliability has reign as king. All the smooth shooting fans and sub MOA accuracy won’t mean squat if your buddy throws you a mag of ammo hat won’t cycle properly. If you get MOA out of your barrel and your weapon functions very single time you pull the trigger, then you’ve accomplished your mission. Victory. On the barrel side - considering all things you’ve identified as a requirement, I would hands down go with a DD barrel. It’s just a well made barrel. I like Cold Hammer Forged barrels personally so that contributes to my “affection” towards DD barrels. (I’ve also owned a couple.). I don’t have first hand experience with a Noveske short barrel, but I do own a Noveske Afghan 14.5 and it is the most accurate 14.5 I’ve owned and I’ve owned a few. I’m not a clone guy, but the fact the DD MK18, which has no doubt slain a multitude of terrorist scumbags uses the same barrel blanks and made with the same hydraulic hammers and mandrils as the barrel you can buy today.... well that’s not such a bad thing at all.
    Pardon any misspellings, I hammered this out on my phone. :-/ I was in your shoes when I built my first AR. And every AR I’ve built since that first one has a defined purpose and in a way they are all part of my shtf preparedness. So I can relate to your desire to have a rifle you can trust to do its part should you ever need it to defend your castle. Good luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you for the well informed input! I wanted to get the Surefire CTN flashhider but I'll probably go with the 3 Prong Warcomp since it seems to mitigate the flash better with shorter barrels. I guess DD is they way to go. Especially since they're available in Canada so I can avoid ITAR.

Feedback Score
    So what would be your guys recommendation for gasport size and buffer? Here's what I plan for the build but some things might change. The ammo I'll use is Wolf/Tula Steel Case for cheap training, Hornady Critical Defense for Home Defense, and Green Tip for any SHTF stuff. So the barrel has a .750 gas port and I'll have an adjustable gas block. I'll be using the A5H0 buffer and spring. All with a Hodge Defense 12.5 barrel.

Do you see anything wrong with this? Do I need to get the gas port cut, etc? Thanks for the help thus far gentlemen!
    Stick with A5H0 and the spring that came into the package if you want to shoot Wolf unsuppressed. It's the only combo that will lock back on last round consistently with Russian steel cased ammo when unsuppressed in my limited experience.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yrch21 View Post
    Stick with A5H0 and the spring that came into the package if you want to shoot Wolf unsuppressed. It's the only combo that will lock back on last round consistently with Russian steel cased ammo when unsuppressed in my limited experience.
    I'm wondering about the Geissle Super 42. The spring seems like a great concept and you can play around with the weight of the buffer.

Feedback Score
    I'm wondering about the Geissle Super 42. The spring seems like a great concept and you can play around with the weight of the buffer.
    do it, and let us know your findings.

Feedback Score
    2nd this, please let us know your findings if you go this route. My wife has the Super 42 in her bcm middie, and that is smooth. Interested how it is in a 12.5".

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Noveske, Daniel Defense, or other? (CHF Barrel)

I’ve heard of good things about the Super 42, though I’m not sure it was in the context of a short barrel rifle. If the standard M16 spring doesn’t cut the mustard, you could give Mr. Tubb’s down in Texas a call and explain your setup and issues. I’ve spoken to both him and his daughter and they made some recommendations using their Tubb’s flatwire spring that totally solved my cycling problems. Plus I think they’ve got like a gazillion cycles through their spring without any compression - meaning the ol’ spring didn’t suffer shrinkage (every mans worst fear.). Maybe not a literal gazillion, but a whole lot of cycles for sure.
    I run the flatwire in 3 of my AR’s including my LMT MWS that’s running an A5 buffet system. Flawless execution.
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 10-10-18 at 02:17.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    So what would be your guys recommendation for gasport size and buffer? Here's what I plan for the build but some things might change. The ammo I'll use is Wolf/Tula Steel Case for cheap training, Hornady Critical Defense for Home Defense, and Green Tip for any SHTF stuff. So the barrel has a .750 gas port and I'll have an adjustable gas block. I'll be using the A5H0 buffer and spring. All with a Hodge Defense 12.5 barrel.

Do you see anything wrong with this? Do I need to get the gas port cut, etc? Thanks for the help thus far gentlemen!
    I probably would NOT suggest a small gas port barrel like a Hodge then if you plan on feeding it lower pressured ammo and will not be shooting suppressed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    The best 12.5 you could get your hands on is. Centurion Arms 12.5. It’s a CHF barrel, probably the one correctly gassed 12.5 and it’s a tack driver

They can be like unicorn tears.. at times hard to get your hands on one.

I might know a guy though.
    Do you still know a guy that might have a Centurion 12.5?

I’ve probably settled on the Daniel Defense, but that Hodge at OP Tactical an Weapon Outfitters sure is tempting.

Feedback Score
    I'd do anything for a Colt Canada barrel. If you can buy a complete Colt Canada upper (or rifle), I'd do that, and just stock up on Daniel Defense barrels as replacements which are also excellent CHF barrels. Y'all are lucky to be able to get Colt Canada up there. I think they're some of the finest-made ARs in the world.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast