Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Noveske, Daniel Defense, or other? (CHF Barrel)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    You need to find a complete Colt Canada 11.5" MMR upper.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    You need to find a complete Colt Canada 11.5" MMR upper.
    I have both the 15.7" and 10" 3rd Gen IUR uppers. The ones SAS and CANSOFCOM use. I'm gonna buy SA15 and MRR uppers to stock up on barrels and spare parts.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron-E View Post
    I have both the 15.7" and 10" 3rd Gen IUR uppers. The ones SAS and CANSOFCOM use. I'm gonna buy SA15 and MRR uppers to stock up on barrels and spare parts.
    I'm envious. I'd sell all my ARs for a Colt Canada.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunCourier View Post
    I'm envious. I'd sell all my ARs for a Colt Canada.
    We're all envious. I'd love to get my hands on full powered PEQ's, suppressors, standard cap mags, etc, etc lol

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    @Iron-E,

Personally, I would go with Noveske over DD always (unless you can get DD 40% cheaper than Noveske). I don't have anything against DD as they have a stellar reputation and customer service. DD barrel will certainly serve you well without issues. Accuracy, durability, or reliability-wise both Noveske and DD will be fine.

Here is why I would choose Noveske:
    - Both are specialized barrel manufacturers, Noveske has a focus on precision and premium market. Possibly has a better QC (though they don't manufacture CHF barrels, unlike DD)
    - Noveske is only slighter more expensive, but if you consider that they include a pinned gas block and a gas tube difference becomes minuscule given 20-30k rounds of barrel life. If you want a pinned gas block and have gunsmith pin it on DD - going with Noveske will probably be cheaper.
    - Main reason - as far as my research goes Noveske CHF barrels are heavier than almost all other CHF barrels on the market (at least in the USA). They are medium profile compared to others in light or gov profiles (including DD). Noveske 12.5" weights 24oz - same DD CHF 14.5" barrel. What it basically means is that it will be able to handle heat during intensive fire better than DD (which I think weights around 20-21oz - not 100% sure). Those extra 3-4oz on a short barrel will definitely make a difference (even on 14.5 or 16"). Plus, combined with a thicker chrome plating it theoretically should last a little longer over DD. Whenever you'll see any difference in longevity in real life is up for debate.

Let us know what you decide. Good luck.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Heavier/slower velocity bullets can provide more gassing over lighter/faster bullets.

You got good advice op. Unsupressed and .223 almost full time means centurion and hodge defense 12.5” barrels are not ideal for you. Hodge’s first run of comercially available 12.5” barrels (lo-pro only gas-block journal) had a gas-port of 0.068” which would be good for you but the currently available Hodge Mod 2 overrun 12.5” barrels (at some point he switched to FSB length gasblock journals) have a gas-port of 0.0625” which (like it says) is intended for hot m855a1 rounds and primarily suppressed function. I do not know if the gas-journal length exclusively corresponds to the change in gas-port size or not. Some dudes here have reported similar gas-port sizing from Centurion Arms 12.5” barrels in the 0.0625-0.063 range.
    A noveske 12.5” from a couple years ago had a 0.071”, which would be more than enough gassing for you even in the cold. I don’t know what DD 12.5” gas-ports run, I wouldnt want to go over 0.071”, but theirbarrels are great. A 12.5” with a port at 0.067” would be good for your use if you can find it.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456