Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Realistic list of spare parts to keep on hand

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Realistic list of spare parts to keep on hand

Given a M4gery, what spare parts, given normal wear and tear, should I keep on hand? I am thinking about operator level repairs/part replacement and parts that are likely to wear out and fail under normal (range) usage. So no armorer's work like barrel replacement or any thing that would require special tools. By way of example something like spare gas rings. I see a lot of lists but they seem to list parts that the average use would never replace and/or unlikely to break. So what I am asking is what is a realistic list.

Feedback Score
    I have a feeling many will say a spare bolt. Good idea. Or if you can swing it, even a complete spare BCG. You can load up on the small spare parts from Bravo Company for fairly cheap. gas rings, cam pin, firing pin, firing pin retaining pin, sopmod bolt upgrade/rebuild kit. You don't need special tools for any of that. Just a punch or even a smaller size allen wrench to push the pin out for the extractor swap.

I would also add an action spring or two. For the basic milspec ones from Bravo Company they are around $5 a piece.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I would keep gas rings, firing pin retaining pin, extractor w/spring, buffer spring.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    I would keep gas rings, firing pin retaining pin, extractor w/spring, buffer spring.
    That and a bolt is pretty good.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by praythenspray View Post
    I have a feeling many will say a spare bolt. Good idea. Or if you can swing it, even a complete spare BCG. You can load up on the small spare parts from Bravo Company for fairly cheap. gas rings, cam pin, firing pin, firing pin retaining pin, sopmod bolt upgrade/rebuild kit. You don't need special tools for any of that. Just a punch or even a smaller size allen wrench to push the pin out for the extractor swap.

I would also add an action spring or two. For the basic milspec ones from Bravo Company they are around $5 a piece.
    Agreed. All of the small parts on the BCG, a bolt itself, and buffer/action spring. If the other parts are quality and you’re not screwing around with them, you likely wouldn’t need anything else.

ETA - small parts from an LPK would be a good idea too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 10-01-18 at 17:44.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Good thread. I'm sub'd.
    My main spare parts kit primarily consists of another rifle. I need to put together a box or bag that has many of the parts recommended. It's a pitiful shame, really, that I have not already done so...At least to a greater degree than I have thus far.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnguitars View Post
    Good thread. I'm sub'd.
    I need to put together a box or bag that has many of the parts recommended.
    Pro-tip:https://www.amazon.com/Storage-Stack...05189252&psc=1 and print paper labels for each part. It doesn't take up much space on a work-bench.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    At least one box like this.

Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post

Agreed except the accu-wedged and ambi-safeties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post

Running low on ejector springs... and darn it you've mixed your forward assists and hammers into your firing pin compartment.

Otherwise that is a very complete set of spares.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast