Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Battery powered lawn mowers?! Yes, to Stihl RMA 510

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I'd rather wear a dress.

If I could get a mower with TWO gas engines on it, I would. There's ALMOST nothing more philosophically repulsive to me than an electric mower.
    Where is the “Like” button and why can’t I hit it 10 times!

The only Jinny worse than a battery powered mower is one that runs off an extension cord.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Where is the “Like” button and why can’t I hit it 10 times!

The only Jinny worse than a battery powered mower is one that runs off an extension cord.
    I see those f#cks in my neighborhood from time to time.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This thread almost instantly devolved into some ignorant ePeen contest that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. This forum prides itself on professionalism but then allows posts like this that have no relevance to the topic to go unchecked?

You have to have some serious self confidence issues to take another person's choice in propulsion for lawn care as an affront to your manhood so much that you feel the need to bring theirs into question. Reading threads like this make me less inclined to try to defend gun owners as reasonable human beings. My favorite part is when the other booger eaters come rushing in to high five the blatant stupidity somehow confirming that this is not only acceptable but somehow cool. Reminds me a lot of when one person says something racist and then another joins them in their racist stance and both somehow feel not alone in the world because they share the same pathetic standpoint.

I'm not sure which is worse, these idiot's opinion or those so spineless they would read said opinion and want to earn the approval of said idiots by basing their decision on such opinions.
    I'm not fat, I'm tactically padded.

Tactical Commander Fast Action Response Team (F.A.R.T.)

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    We converted all of our front yard into Xeriscape this summer, so all the grass we have left is a small patch in the back for the dogs. At this point, the gas mower is overkill for the space. I'll probably start looking more seriously at getting an electric next summer, just to make things easier. No point in gassing up a heavy-ass mower and hauling it over the landscaping just to cut 200sqft of grass.

I have a couple neighbors running various eGo mowers that they love. I've not tried one directly, but would prob lean that direction. Thanks for the info on the Stihl, though! I didn't know they made electric tools.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    This thread almost instantly devolved into some ignorant ePeen contest that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. This forum prides itself on professionalism but then allows posts like this that have no relevance to the topic to go unchecked?

You have to have some serious self confidence issues to take another person's choice in propulsion for lawn care as an affront to your manhood so much that you feel the need to bring theirs into question. Reading threads like this make me less inclined to try to defend gun owners as reasonable human beings. My favorite part is when the other booger eaters come rushing in to high five the blatant stupidity somehow confirming that this is not only acceptable but somehow cool. Reminds me a lot of when one person says something racist and then another joins them in their racist stance and both somehow feel not alone in the world because they share the same pathetic standpoint.

I'm not sure which is worse, these idiot's opinion or those so spineless they would read said opinion and want to earn the approval of said idiots by basing their decision on such opinions.
    Are we taking this topic THAT seriously??? I mean... we're talking lawn care equipment on an M4 forum for f@ck's sake.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Are we taking this topic THAT seriously??? I mean... we're talking lawn care equipment on an M4 forum for f@ck's sake.
    Which is it then? This forum is professional and doesn't deal with the nonsense or it's a forum where people can bring someone's sexuality into question for not agreeing with their outdated opinions on lawn care?

Seems to me it was you who took this thread a bit too serious by personally attacking anyone who dares do something different than you and your great grand pappy.

Grow up.
    I'm not fat, I'm tactically padded.

Tactical Commander Fast Action Response Team (F.A.R.T.)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWPilgrim View Post
    Unfortunately the Stihl dealers do not seem to promote the battery products much but they came out in the top tier in my search and comparisons. Since they are not sold through a big box store or Amazon there is very little consumer experience to read and even YouTube has only a handful of reviews. Most battery mower reviews focus on EGO, Greenworks, Ryobi, Kobalt, Worx, and maybe some with DeWalt, Makita, Snapper or Echo.

On the upside, Stihl seems to have applied their landscape tool experience to good effect in the RMA 510. Some companies using plastic decks are too flimsy, but Stihl’s is sturdy. A Stihl chainsaw has steel or aluminum where need but much of the case is plastic and those buggers can take years of being dropped and bashed. Their mower feels like it is built similarly. And the cut performance is excellent as one would expect from a Stihl. So although kind of a bastard child in terms of marketing and sales, at least the engineering is pure Stihl. Many of the other top mowers in my list had at least one compromised factor on an otherwise great mower: brushed motor, flimsy deck, flimsy electrical switch, great bagging but poor mulching, sub par battery or charger, four wheel adjusters instead of one, etc. Stihl was solid on all accounts.

My 10 yr old grandson is starting to do most of the mowing so I feel much more comfortable having him use this battery mower rather than gas engine one. That’s great that as a dealer you are actually using this mower. That should be extremely helpful to interested customers. Most of the farm implements at my Stihl dealer are bigger than my lawn!! They do have a lot of Stihl trimmers, blowers and chainsaws on the shelf but most of the mowers are Honda.
    Since every Stihl dealership is an independent shop, you get a broad cross section of dealers. We happen to be a hardware store that sells Stihl. Unlike most hardware stores that sell Stihl, though, I have a salesman and a tech on duty 7 days a week. Our closest competition is a heavy equipment dealer like what you have to deal with.

You can only sell so many chainsaws. They last too long and most people really don't need a saw like they do lawn and garden equipment. Stihl is continuing to push into new areas to cater to homeowners that normally wouldn't shop the Stihl name. Stihl battery powered tools is one of those areas. It took a bit for me to embrace the technology, and I'm still having difficulty convincing people that they work great. However, I have reached a pocket market that I haven't in the past.. older folks and women. Honestly, I have husbands that have used tools I've sold their wives that begrudgingly agree that the tools work well. I've got a bunch of carpenters using battery powered blowers and chainsaws now. They love being able to blow off construction sites vs. sweeping with a broom. Using a battery powered saw indoors is much nicer than a gas saw.

People don't realize that the very first chainsaw produced by Stihl was electric powered.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Do you even have a lawn in AZ, bro?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I'd rather wear a dress.

If I could get a mower with TWO gas engines on it, I would. There's ALMOST nothing more philosophically repulsive to me than an electric mower.
    100% agree! I do all of the yard work and absolutely forbid any electronic yard equipment in my yard period. As far as Stihl equipment is concerned, it's about all I'll use. Not the battery powered mower though. these past 2 weekends I've about wore out my 2 Stihl chainsaws. Had to cut up 2 75ft or so huge oak trees that the hurricane blew down in my father in-laws yard.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yeah, yeah I knew “battery power” and “mower” would raise some hackles. No worries But if you ever tried Milwaukee’s 18v high torque 1/2” impact wrench you would not chuckle at battery power anything. I cut a lot of trees with. 6.5 cu-in 36” bar Husqvarna back in the day, and most of the time now my ears ring with the comforting sound of wide open chainsaws. But I think the new tech in cordless is just starting to revolutionize tools especially in replacing pneumatics and gas. For hard, day after day use I would stick with the older tech. But batteries make a lot of sense for most homeowner work, and more and more becoming worthy replacements or supplements to older tech especially in construction.

I really liked my interaction with the Stihl dealer. 7-day return policy, automatic registration for warranty at any dealer for 3years. Never have to deal with third party retailers or off shore service for parts or repairs. Super nice even though was probably way below their normal commissioned sales.

I was think of getting a smaller Stihl saw to supplement my ancient 45cc Husqvarna, but now thinking I might try one of their battery saws since it would be for much lighter use. Battery tools are nice in you can just pick them up and work and put it away with no
    prep or fueling. And having multiple tools using the same batteries it is easy to always have full charged ones lying about.

I enjoy big Diesel engines and wide open gassers, but beginning to appreciate battery options. I mean, a battery just stores energy from a gas turbine, or coal burner, or plutonium fusion, right? I like it all!
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12