Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: What is a "young mans" sport/sporty car these day's?

Feedback Score
    I have to admit the coming Hyundai Veloster Turbo N is intriguing.

But, it's a little short on power (275hp I think) is FWD (yuck) and though it sounds good for a 4 cyl, it still sounds like a 4 cyl.

But it will handle well, has LSD, torque vectoring, is pretty light, 6 spd manual. Bremo's, heads up display, and several other good things. Also a great warranty and will be about $25-30k.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    Since low end torque seems vitally important, that simplifies this a lot.

You can either have an old tech domestic with pushrods or something not naturally aspirated.
    You can have an old tech domestic with pushrods force induced too. Centrifugal, roots and screw blowers as well as turbo's are more popular and readily available now then ever. Your wallet's the limit.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

/thread

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NYH1 View Post
    You can have an old tech domestic with pushrods force induced too. Centrifugal, roots and screw blowers as well as turbo's are more popular and readily available now then ever. Your wallet's the limit.

NYH1.
    Not a good commuter car.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ClearedHot View Post

/thread
    That's what people wish they could drive, sure. But not for the daily grind.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    If you have $30k to spend on a young mans sports car, then I would try to find something that has lost its economic value and only search for something that has material value. What I mean by that is a car that has already depreciated its resale market value- meaning, its not really going to go down much more in value yet still remains valuable like air-cooled Porsches, 1984-1996 Ferraris etc.

Depending on what you want, $30k can actually go a long way. You can find a pretty new (3-5 years old) Rousch Mustang for around $30k. You can get an 01-2010 Saleen Mustang. In fact for $30k, you can get a Porsche Cayman S or 996 with 40-60k miles, Porsche 997 with around 50-70k miles. You can get in a Dodge Viper with 20-40k miles for $30k as well as get into a C5-C6 Corvette Z06.

Here is the thing about Porsche 911's. I have owned a 1977 911, 996GT3, 997C4 and currently a 2015 Cayenne GTS and they run and drive great and they are dependable as an everyday driver. Only problem I have with the 996-997 era is that the EMF bearing can go out, doesn't cost much to fix but does take time and a certified shop. The AIR pump does go out and can cost up to $2000, the OEM catalytic converters do tend to rattle on higher mileage cars and overall, they are rattle boxes like the dash, console, glove box etc.

This is a video of me starting my 360F1 with 160k miles and GT3 which currently has 328k miles. Starts up like a champ but does show its age. You can hear the rattle in the catalytic converter when I start it. This is OEM exhaust matched with a cold air intake and different spark plugs/wires.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj0d_z3bRR8

I sold these cars last year when I purchased my 2017 Corvette. My whole philosophy was either I could own 1 brand new Corvette or I could own 4 Porsches or 2 Porsches and a Ferrari. I bought the Porsche with 130k miles for I think $10-12k in 2009, put about $3800 into it right away, 2" lowering springs, sway bar, traction bar, cast aluminum intake, and took the factory cage out and I passenger side mirror.

But I wouldn't buy a car and put a lot of money into it: I bought a 1976 Chevrolet truck for my dad's 40th anniversary. I bought the truck for $2500 and put $58k into it over a 8 month complete frame off restoration. I surprised my dad with the truck only a week before he passed and he never really got to enjoy it but did get a picture with it. I have been trying to sell that truck for $12k for the last year. Some cars are not worth putting any money into them so that's why I say, find a car that has material value and not a economic value associated with it. People will buy Corvettes and Mustangs all day long, People will buy Porsches all day long, if not to drive, to track- which is what I did mostly.

Another great car that is going up in value is the 1987 Buick Grand Nationals, 3rd Gen F-Bodies (T/A's- Camaros) are maintaining or at least holding value and have been for a while.

Either way, $30k is enough to get you something nice that will last a long time and allow you to have years of enjoyment. Buy something that is ready to drive.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    Since low end torque seems vitally important, that simplifies this a lot.

You can either have an old tech domestic with pushrods or something not naturally aspirated.
    The 6.2 LT1 naturally aspirated traditional pushrod engine in the Camaro is a fantastic choice for the folks wanting said torque & handling...the entry 1SS with the 1LE option is a hell of a road course track package for the $$$$.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You Sir have great taste in cars!

Would love to get a 996 gt3. Have not looked at prices in a long time but the 996 series used to be quite the bargain.
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant View Post
    If you have $30k to spend on a young mans sports car, then I would try to find something that has lost its economic value and only search for something that has material value. What I mean by that is a car that has already depreciated its resale market value- meaning, its not really going to go down much more in value yet still remains valuable like air-cooled Porsches, 1984-1996 Ferraris etc.

Depending on what you want, $30k can actually go a long way. You can find a pretty new (3-5 years old) Rousch Mustang for around $30k. You can get an 01-2010 Saleen Mustang. In fact for $30k, you can get a Porsche Cayman S or 996 with 40-60k miles, Porsche 997 with around 50-70k miles. You can get in a Dodge Viper with 20-40k miles for $30k as well as get into a C5-C6 Corvette Z06.

Here is the thing about Porsche 911's. I have owned a 1977 911, 996GT3, 997C4 and currently a 2015 Cayenne GTS and they run and drive great and they are dependable as an everyday driver. Only problem I have with the 996-997 era is that the EMF bearing can go out, doesn't cost much to fix but does take time and a certified shop. The AIR pump does go out and can cost up to $2000, the OEM catalytic converters do tend to rattle on higher mileage cars and overall, they are rattle boxes like the dash, console, glove box etc.

This is a video of me starting my 360F1 with 160k miles and GT3 which currently has 328k miles. Starts up like a champ but does show its age. You can hear the rattle in the catalytic converter when I start it. This is OEM exhaust matched with a cold air intake and different spark plugs/wires.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj0d_z3bRR8

I sold these cars last year when I purchased my 2017 Corvette. My whole philosophy was either I could own 1 brand new Corvette or I could own 4 Porsches or 2 Porsches and a Ferrari. I bought the Porsche with 130k miles for I think $10-12k in 2009, put about $3800 into it right away, 2" lowering springs, sway bar, traction bar, cast aluminum intake, and took the factory cage out and I passenger side mirror.

But I wouldn't buy a car and put a lot of money into it: I bought a 1976 Chevrolet truck for my dad's 40th anniversary. I bought the truck for $2500 and put $58k into it over a 8 month complete frame off restoration. I surprised my dad with the truck only a week before he passed and he never really got to enjoy it but did get a picture with it. I have been trying to sell that truck for $12k for the last year. Some cars are not worth putting any money into them so that's why I say, find a car that has material value and not a economic value associated with it. People will buy Corvettes and Mustangs all day long, People will buy Porsches all day long, if not to drive, to track- which is what I did mostly.

Another great car that is going up in value is the 1987 Buick Grand Nationals, 3rd Gen F-Bodies (T/A's- Camaros) are maintaining or at least holding value and have been for a while.

Either way, $30k is enough to get you something nice that will last a long time and allow you to have years of enjoyment. Buy something that is ready to drive.
    Sent from my PIP-BOY 3000 using Tapatalk

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789