Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is a "young mans" sport/sporty car these day's?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

What is a "young mans" sport/sporty car these day's?

I'm curious. There are fewer than ever guys/girls into performance cars these days it seems.

But there are a few. Sure the rich write songs about Lamborghini's and Ferrari's and such and want to be seen in them.

Mustang GT's/GT350's/GT500's and Corvette's are "old man" cars, aren't they?

So, while I consider myself middle aged (I hope), what does a guy in his 20's who is in to performance driving, drive? Or want to drive?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    BMW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    I went from a camaro to a GTO to a corvette in my twenties, it was natural progression for me. I would’ve died if I went straight to a vette. For me there is no other sports car in my reach that will ever replace a corvette in my garage. I will own one until the day I die. I am getting curious though about the 4 door performance sedans, I may pick up a cts-v or Audi rs4 in the future. I think the new younger crowd sees the 4wd turbo 4 cylinders as the new age sports cars, for me though it has to be 2 doors, rear wheel drive and a v8 under the hood. I’d prefer a manual as well so that really narrows the field these days.
    "But if they want to play out a Rage Against the Machine album then...I have no problem blacking out my face, putting on Tiger Stripes, and working on my ear necklace."-FireFly

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The reason they are “old man” cars is usually you have to be old to get one.

For me a Corvette will be my next hot rod. I went from a C10 Chevy>1996 Trans AM>2000 Mustang GT>2012 Dodge Ram (daily driver still).

All of them were nodded with full bolt ones and more. Never should have sold the trans am...

I am now saving to buy a vette. The day I buy one it will be going to a shop to get the full bolt on treatment and a cam.

If you want something more practical and a sleeper look up Boosted F150 on YouTube. 2018 F150 single cab pushing over 750 HP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In our area (Central Kansas) pretty much the folks that actually get their hands greasy are either building up lifted diesel trucks, off-road jeeps, or rice burners with tuner exhausts.

Younger middle income folks that buy performance seem to like the new Mustangs or Camaros.

There are also a lot of guys in town that have antique muscle cars stored for special occasions. Not a lot of them are daily drivers and for the most part the youngish guys in that crowd got into the hobby with their dads.

Right now this old man is looking for a truck that will haul my 7200 pound trailer at 75mph, get 14mpg while doing it, and sticker below 50,000.00. That way I can use the current truck to tow the boat when we take the grand kids to the lake.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    DCM awd with upgraded turbo?

Whats your price range?

Generally “old guy cars” are “people out age cant afford” cars.

For a solid mid-level car, I would go audi, but linited experience.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 10-01-18 at 23:31.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It's my general observation these days that with the cost of cars being a far higher percentage of their income, younger people are not buying higher priced "performance" cars anymore. They are also paying off high student loan debt, paying more for houses, and generally just don't have the spending power many of us did when we were young.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    DCM awd with upgraded turbo?

Whats your price range?

I wouldn't spend more than about $35k. It's just going to get beat to hell on my commute. It's a mix of stop and go and 80 mph straights and sweepers. Lots of road debris, rock trucks, pine log trucks, etc. And yea, they're doing 75-80 mph too.

Must be AWD or RWD, 2-doors, manual. Yea, doesn't leave many choices. Needs to be reliable and have good crash protection, too.

Leaning low-mile Corvette. Not high on reliability that's for sure.

Not very concerned with tech or mpg.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I wouldn't spend more than about $35k. It's just going to get beat to hell on my commute. It's a mix of stop and go and 80 mph straights and sweepers. Lots of road debris, rock trucks, pine log trucks, etc. And yea, they're doing 75-80 mph too.

Must be AWD or RWD, 2-doors, manual. Yea, doesn't leave many choices. Needs to be reliable and have good crash protection, too.

Leaning low-mile Corvette. Not high on reliability that's for sure.

Not very concerned with tech or mpg.
    I would say that the Vette is the way to go. I have seen LS engines with well over 200k on them still racing at the drag strip. You would be surprised how long a Vette will last. Plus it's aluminum and fiberglass, very little to rust out. If you get a manual you will get good gas mileage as well. Again, LS motors are very efficient. I once drove a 99 FRC from VA to NJ and avaraged 35mpg in 6th gear at 75mph. I drove my heads/cam TA with 4:10's from NJ to NC to visit friends and got 27mpg on Sunoco 94.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    Young guys in their 20’s who want a performance car they can afford are probably looking at a Subaru WRX. Some will still gravitate to the Camaro SS or Mustang GT, but those are the ones who have better jobs, and may also cross shop BMW’s in that price range.

I did the Camaro Z28 and 6 speed manual when I was 19-21. Fun car, damn thing was a ticket magnet.... or maybe I was.

Then a turbo VW. Then a turbo Subaru.

Then cooled my jets in a 1/2 ton pickup that I still have.

In 2015 I bought a Chevrolet SS. So I’m back into RWD, V8 goodness. Albeit with 4 doors, and stealth. The Chevrolet SS might be the ultimate troll car since 99.9995% of other drivers have no clue what it is, the car is hilarious. The fact that it handles superbly thanks to 50/50 weight distribution, magnetic shocks, and careful chassis tuning... and also stops (Brembos!) on top of being pretty quick is icing on the cake. I will admit the siren song of bolt ons and a cam for the LS3 under the hood are calling, because more power will be even more hilarious while compromising none of the utility or comfort of the car day to day.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast