Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: What is a "young mans" sport/sporty car these day's?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    This is a straight rebuild. I've a CJ7 frame up build right now that is taking most of my spare money, (and the entire garage) but I do have my eye on a supercharger in the future if I can ever save up for one. It's my daily, and it's really all I need as is.
    I've never been able to pull a motor and do a stock rebuild. I'd have to stick a 3.4" stroker crank in it with some TFS heads. It's just a disease I have....I can't be helped!

Good luck bro, NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NYH1 View Post
    I've never been able to pull a motor and do a stock rebuild. I'd have to stick a 3.4" stroker crank in it with some TFS heads. It's just a disease I have....I can't be helped!

Good luck bro, NYH1.
    That disease is easy to overcome when you have the budget of someone living off VA disability, and with two kids in college, and a Jeep project in the works...
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    I think I saw the OP say something about wanting something done for $30K. I read 2 doors, stick, and V-8. What I didn't read was how open are you to older cars? Why not take an older muscle car, and build it? You may not be rich, but $30K is a nice budget. A lot can be done with that. A nice one can be bought for that already done. There is no better way to get the attention than with a classic.

Some rich douche can be sitting there showing off his Lamborghini, and if you were to drive up in a nicely done '66 Chevelle, or a '63 Fairlane 500, the crowd would ALL walk over to check you out.
    I wish I could. But I need a reliable car because I commute through some bad areas. (and have to get to work) Also needs to be more likely to save to my butt in a crash. Because crashes are common.

I'll probably end up with a low-mile 2008-2011 Corvette. I don't think of myself as a "Corvette guy" but it checks the boxes.

I've had several Mustang GT's/Cobra's. I never cared for the lack of torque/responsiveness of the 4.6L 3V and 4V unless your over 3250-3500 rpm. When you need to punch it and your going 70 mph at 2300 rpm in 6th (or 2700 in 5th IIRC) there is almost nothing there for you. (Ok, the supercharged '03 Cobra had power everywhere!)

I only drove one 5.0L Coyote but it felt the same as the 4.6 3V and 4V in the lower-rpm range.

I'll bet the 6.0L push-rod, lighter weight Corvette responds much better at those lower rpms.
    Last edited by Ron3; 10-08-18 at 00:46.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The 4.6 was a dog motor. I had a complete bolt on 2000 GT. It was still slow.

I could tear someone up from 1st and 2nd but after that it fell on its face.

The 5.0 coyote motor responds to mods VERY well. Headers, full exhaust, cold air intake, custom tune. Probably over 500hp to the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I wish I could. But I need a reliable car because I commute through some bad areas. (and have to get to work) Also needs to be more likely to save to my butt in a crash. Because crashes are common.

I'll probably end up with a low-mile 2008-2011 Corvette. I don't think of myself as a "Corvette guy" but it checks the boxes.

I've had several Mustang GT's/Cobra's. I never cared for the lack of torque/responsiveness of the 4.6L 3V and 4V unless your over 3250-3500 rpm. When you need to punch it and your going 70 mph at 2300 rpm in 6th (or 2700 in 5th IIRC) there is almost nothing there for you. (Ok, the supercharged '03 Cobra had power everywhere!)

I only drove one 5.0L Coyote but it felt the same as the 4.6 3V and 4V in the lower-rpm range.

I'll bet the 6.0L push-rod, lighter weight Corvette responds much better at those lower rpms.
    If you don't care for the lack of low RPM response in the newer Mustangs, it's because you don't understand the engines. There is no low RPM response. These overhead cam engines are not the same animals as the old pushrod engines. They are more European in design. You gotta rev the shit outta them, or no balls. A lot of Americans don't like them.

It took me a long time to get used to the 4.6 DOHC in my Marauder. I got a 4K lb car with no balls down low. However, it has a high stall speed on the converter, and it revs like crazy, so after a second or two, she gets up and goes. It's a different feel. The overhead cams, and all those revs make for a completely different sound too. Kinda weird 'til you get used to it. I do miss the low end torque of the old engines, but I love the 21 mpg.

To be honest, what I really like is the ride. I'm getting old, I'm all beat to hell from too many deployments. This thing rides like a dream... yet it still handles way better than a 4 door family sedan has a right to. With my back and neck issues, climbing into, and out of a Mustang or Vette, just ain't gonna happen.

When it's all said and done, I'm a fat old cripple that walks with a cane, and has a service dog. I drive a 4 door family sedan with handicap plates, and I can still have fun surprising a lot of folks who don't know what this thing is...

You won't be disappointed with a Vette. The push rod engines give more low end torque, and the design also keeps the weight low in the frame. You'll have more cubic inches, and less weight overall. There is no denying the speed and handling of a modern Vette. I wouldn't have one if you gave it to me. I just hate the styling. Now a '69... Yeah baby. I personally don't like anything newer than 3rd gen, or 4th gen based on body style... but the newer ones will drive circles around the older ones so if you're going for the experience, you'll love it....
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 10-08-18 at 07:52.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    My friend just bought a used 959.2 (Porsche) and when having it checked out the tech indicated that the car had a pattern of being "undershifted" (lugged) by its prior owners.

This guy has a lot of hi perf/Exotics, and we started talking about this. Under shifting is enough of a problem that some of the performance cars are starting to gate off parts of the transmission to keep American drivers from undershifting the way we are prone to.

Even friends of mine who should know better tend to do this.

Bottom line, putting the engine under heavy load significantly below its torque Peak (lugging due to too high of a gear) is harder on the engine than letting it rev. Yet so many people are like "the engines just screaming can't be good for it".

I think of this whenever I hear people talk about down low torque of pushrod engines.

You can get away with this more so with automatics due to the torque multiplication effect of the torque converter.

Feedback Score
    If you don't care for the lack of low RPM response in the newer Mustangs, it's because you don't understand the engines. There is no low RPM response. These overhead cam engines are not the same animals as the old pushrod engines. They are more European in design. You gotta rev the shit outta them, or no balls. A lot of Americans don't like them.

Oh, I know about the torque from push rods, cubes, and power-adders.

I enjoy the want-to-rev nature of the 4.6L 3v and especially 4v. But in day to day commuting I'd rather have the torque.

The Panther platform (your Marauder) aren't bad - handling cars and do have a nice ride. You just have to keep up with replacing front end ball joints/bushings/etc. And door window regulators...

Your Marauder has what is called a "Watt's link". It's kinda neat. Check it out of your not familiar. You'll find it on top of your differential. Not many cars have one.

Feedback Score
    That disease is easy to overcome when you have the budget of someone living off VA disability, and with two kids in college, and a Jeep project in the works...
    I built the SBC 383 stroker motor while I was out of work awaiting major back surgery. I had to squeeze a little $$$ from other things. Worse part of it....my back's worse now after the surgery, then before.

We built our pole barn with 12 foot ceilings so once it's finished I can put in a car/truck lift. Can't do much bending anymore.

ETA; I also only had one vehicle project going on at the time.

NYH1.
    Last edited by NYH1; 10-08-18 at 16:55.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Since low end torque seems vitally important, that simplifies this a lot.

You can either have an old tech domestic with pushrods or something not naturally aspirated.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    Since low end torque seems vitally important, that simplifies this a lot.

You can either have an old tech domestic with pushrods or something not naturally aspirated.
    Yup. I miss big engines (6.6L/400 ci. Pontiac) turbos & the blown 03 Cobra.

NA is better for the track but I haven't done that in years.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast