Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mad Max (1979) questions

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    He imagined scenes he thought would look cool. The story and characters were simply not very important. He achieved his goal.
    Part of the reason I loved it - it didn't force all of the stereotypical Hollywood tropes into the script. It's just intense from start to finish.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance435 View Post
    Part of the reason I loved it - it didn't force all of the stereotypical Hollywood tropes into the script. It's just intense from start to finish.
    I like action but I'm more engrossed in a film with deeper characters and story included.

I also didn't care for the many things that reminded me of "Water World". Mainly, the explicit wastefullness of water, manpower, bullets, etc. It contradicts the setting of the film. (Things are scarce, people spend most of their time with basic survival issues, not polishing thousands of chrome spikes and building stacks of amps)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I also didn't care for the many things that reminded me of "Water World". Mainly, the explicit wastefullness of water, manpower, bullets, etc. It contradicts the setting of the film. (Things are scarce, people spend most of their time with basic survival issues, not polishing thousands of chrome spikes and building stacks of amps)
    George Miller said in an interview that all because that civilization ended human artistry would not. He was big on showing post-civilization "art" in Fury Road as it was long enough after the collapse that people started banning together to form basic societies; The Citadel (sitting atop an aquifer), Bullet Farm (built on top of an abandoned lead mine), and Gas Town. All three of these places and their leaders were allies that supplied each other with their respective products; water, ammo, and refined gasoline.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    Great movie series....Thunderdome...meh, ok. I thought “Ziggy” was part of the MFP with his leather jacket. Local sheriff seems much more plausible. I wish there had been a little more on the Night Rider....that dude was “whacked right out of his skull”. There is not much on the actor (Vince Gil) that played him except a lot of Aussie TV roles. Fuel injected suicide machine.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    When the original was made Oz was having some very violent rural attacks by gangs. The farm scene was the "home invasion" of the day, would have been fresh and relevant to Aussies when the movie was 1st released.

There are other Oz movies covering similar home/farm invasions that made no sense to us. It still comes up in Aussie movies.

So I interpreted the MM backstory to be an extension of that lawlessness, made worse by world unrest and fuel shortages. (Also familiar to anyone alive in the early 70s)

Clearly had not been nuclear holacost down under.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    When the original was made Oz was having some very violent rural attacks by gangs. The farm scene was the "home invasion" of the day, would have been fresh and relevant to Aussies when the movie was 1st released.

There are other Oz movies covering similar home/farm invasions that made no sense to us. It still comes up in Aussie movies.

I always liked Fortress (1985) as well:

"In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by duece71 View Post
    Great movie series....Thunderdome...meh, ok.
    I always thought Thunderdome was nothing more than an encore to please the fans that loved Road Warrior. The chase at the end was too uncomfortably based on the chase from RW, and the movie even resurrected a "cleaned up" version of the gyro captain in the homemade-plane flying character. Same actor to boot. They even went so far as to make sure this character had perfect teeth as a nod to the fact that the gyro captain in RW had nasty teeth.

They made Thunderdome strictly for the money IMHO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12