Thread: Help with pistol Red Dot Sight

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Help with pistol Red Dot Sight

so I'm thinking seriously about dedicating one of my Glock 17's with an optic, so my question is which one is the best to get. there seem to be alot of different choices out there and I want to do it right from the get go. just as some background info, I have been to numerous classes at the big schools so I'm not new to shooting and I know there is a learning curve with the optic on the pistol compared to traditional sights. And as I get older my sights get a little smaller to see, amazing how that happens. Oh, and if you have info on the best place to purchase I'm all ears. Thanks, Your feedback is appreciated.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Greene View Post
    so I'm thinking seriously about dedicating one of my Glock 17's with an optic, so my question is which one is the best to get. there seem to be alot of different choices out there and I want to do it right from the get go. just as some background info, I have been to numerous classes at the big schools so I'm not new to shooting and I know there is a learning curve with the optic on the pistol compared to traditional sights. And as I get older my sights get a little smaller to see, amazing how that happens. Oh, and if you have info on the best place to purchase I'm all ears. Thanks, Your feedback is appreciated.
    I would try one before buying if at all possible. The RDS may not work for you if you are doing anything with the pistol that resembles precision shooting. The RMR is probably the most popular for slide mounted sights. If I were you I would buy a complete milled slide with RMR installed. If it doesn't work for you it would be easy to sell. Plan on spending a grand.

Feedback Score
    I have had Dr.Optic since 2001 and it is still working on my son's Glock.

Since then I have bought RMR's and had zero problem with them. The oldest one is at least 19 years old.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    I would try one before buying if at all possible. The RDS may not work for you if you are doing anything with the pistol that resembles precision shooting. The RMR is probably the most popular for slide mounted sights. If I were you I would buy a complete milled slide with RMR installed. If it doesn't work for you it would be easy to sell. Plan on spending a grand.
    What do you call “precision” shooting with a pistol?
    Why do you say a red dot is not conducive to precision work?

OP, I have only used an rmr, but has a good track record for durability. Good for SD and carry. If its a competition gun, the delta point pro seems to be more popular due to the larger window.

Feedback Score
    Delta point pro or RMR are the 2 most popular. DPP will sit a bit higher, have a larger window, less window tint, shorter battery life however easier to change, the controls are not as intuitive as the RMR and less durable (not by much). RMR requires you to remove and re-zero when you swap batteries maby every year or 2. Either one will not be a bad chioce they just bring different things to the table. If you get an RMR get the type 2 as it has fixed some of the type 1 issues.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    What do you call “precision” shooting with a pistol?
    Why do you say a red dot is not conducive to precision work?

OP, I have only used an rmr, but has a good track record for durability. Good for SD and carry. If its a competition gun, the delta point pro seems to be more popular due to the larger window.
    You need to re-read what the OP and I wrote..

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I would wait for the new aimpoint offering that is supposed to drop in the next month. If you don't want to wait, I would suggest you check out Sage Dynamic's youtube channel as he is chronicling and testing every single red dot pistol mounted sight he can get his hands on. He recommends, as do I, the type 2 RMRs in their adjustable button form. So either the RMR06 or 07 depending on your vision, astigmatism, and preference.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Furbyballer View Post
    I would wait for the new aimpoint offering that is supposed to drop in the next month. If you don't want to wait, I would suggest you check out Sage Dynamic's youtube channel as he is chronicling and testing every single red dot pistol mounted sight he can get his hands on. He recommends, as do I, the type 2 RMRs in their adjustable button form. So either the RMR06 or 07 depending on your vision, astigmatism, and preference.
    Cool I will check that out, Ive had good luck with Aimpoints in the past so I may wait to see the new vesion

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Greene View Post
    Which is the best? Right now, nothing comes close to the RMR Type 2. There is really no comparison, and any attempt to do so is just a personal justification on the part of someone that bought an inferior optic.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    Which is the best? Right now, nothing comes close to the RMR Type 2. There is really no comparison, and any attempt to do so is just a personal justification on the part of someone that bought an inferior optic.
    have no dog in this fight right now as I have sold both of my rmr'd glocks. But if I was going to do it again, I think I'd look at a six second mount with either an RMR or T1.
    "America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."- Claire Wolfe