Thread: issue re-installin slide stop

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

issue re-installin slide stop

ETA: Call off the dogs!!. Man I will never cease to amaze myself with my stupidity. It helps to align the slide to the correct notch!

Case closed.

Detailed stripped early Kimber 1911 Gold Match.

Clean, fresh, everything back together just like the many other times.

For the last hour I can not get the slide release in.

Plunger is in correct. short pin in front long pin in rear. Plungers operate. I can push pins flush with finger nail.

Can fit slide release without slide.
    Can fit release with slide alone.

it get's stuck about 3/8" off the frame and when I say it's stuck, it's stuck. Not like a wiggle that won't go any more. Just a dead stop.

This slide stop has forever been a little tricky where you have to put it just a bit low and press up/in at same time. But right now I have exhausted all techniques except a hammer.

What in the hell can I be doing wrong? I'm serious. I've spent an hour on the release alone. Not the full reassembly
    Last edited by tb-av; 10-02-18 at 15:11.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Check that the link is aligned correctly.
    It sometimes helps to hold pistol muzzle down with the slide pulled back so the notch in slide is in position to receive the SS.
    When you see the SS pin hole in link you can use a small drift punch or screwdriver to move the link to get the SS pin engaged.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    No, I sat there for an hour with the big square notch aligned with the stop/release instead of the little half moon notch. I slid it back to the correct notch and it popped right in.

I took it all apart and cleaned it maybe 6 months ago and put it all in a container. Put it together today and just forgot how the thing works.

Feedback Score
    It just takes practice. It seems like they’ve tightened up the tolerances so much on newer 1911’s so it’s a lot tougher to install than the older 1911’s (like Uncle Sam used to issue).

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdWatcher View Post
    It just takes practice. It seems like they’ve tightened up the tolerances so much on newer 1911’s so it’s a lot tougher to install than the older 1911’s (like Uncle Sam used to issue).
    Most of the higher end builders file a groove for the plunger to ride in and they're easier to pop in than the regular g.i. ones.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    ^^ "log man's idiot scratch mod". Easy to do with a needle file.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    Most of the higher end builders file a groove for the plunger to ride in and they're easier to pop in than the regular g.i. ones.
    Mine has the little half moon notch. I'm not sure how I managed to sit there and not align it. It was like I never saw it. I was watching TV and had the gun upside down at first for some odd reason. But for whatever reason I just kept going for the big square notch. It's been a long time since I've taken the slide off and just forgot. I must have had my hand over the half moon or something.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    ETA: Call off the dogs!!. Man I will never cease to amaze myself with my stupidity. It helps to align the slide to the correct notch!

Case closed.

Detailed stripped early Kimber 1911 Gold Match.

Clean, fresh, everything back together just like the many other times.

For the last hour I can not get the slide release in.

Plunger is in correct. short pin in front long pin in rear. Plungers operate. I can push pins flush with finger nail.

Can fit slide release without slide.
    Can fit release with slide alone.

it get's stuck about 3/8" off the frame and when I say it's stuck, it's stuck. Not like a wiggle that won't go any more. Just a dead stop.

This slide stop has forever been a little tricky where you have to put it just a bit low and press up/in at same time. But right now I have exhausted all techniques except a hammer.

What in the hell can I be doing wrong? I'm serious. I've spent an hour on the release alone. Not the full reassembly
    Lol. Happens to most of us at least once.