All,

I haven't seen many reviews directly comparing the Crimson Trace Laserguard Pro Laser+Light vs. the LaserMax Gripsense Laser+Light, so here's my crack at it.

OVERVIEW

Crimson Trace Laserguard Pro

Models:
- this is Crimson Trace Model #LL-801 for the Smith & Wesson (S&W) Military & Police (M&P) Shield or Shield 2.0, chambered in either 9x19mm or .40S&W
- there are also Crimson Trace Laserguard Pro models available for the Glock Full-size (e.g. Glock 17), Glock Compact (e.g. Glock 19), Glock Subcompact (e.g. Glock 26), Glock Single-Stack (e.g. Glock 43), S&W M&P Shield .45ACP, and Springfield Armory XD-S
- comes with Crimson Trace LaserGuard Pro, one box, advertisement for the "free batteries for life" program, warranty card, warning about lasers, owner's handbook, installation handbook, and a small ziploc bag with hex key adjustment tool, two Q-tip-esque cleaning rods, anti-theft device, laser warning sticker, and one CR2 battery in a separate ziploc bag

Features:
- red visible laser (green visible laser is Model #LL-801G), adjustable for windage/elevation
- 150 lumen white weaponlight
- four modes (i. laser only, ii. light only, iii. laser + light, iv. laser + strobe light) that you cycle through the use of a small button on the right side of the Laserguard Pro
- it's activated via a small button that's depressed by middle finger in a normal firing grip (there's also a small master on/off switch on the underside of the Laserguard Pro)

Maintenance:
- allegedly two hours of battery life off one CR-2 battery, but Crimson Trace does have a "free batteries for life" program
- you have to uninstall the left half of the LaserGuard Pro in order to replace the battery, so it's possible to lose zero

Price:
- $169.99 on Amazon as of 2018-10-01

Links:
- here's the official website: https://www.crimsontrace.com/01-5600
- and here's a good review: https://www.range365.com/gear-test-c...laserguard-pro

LaserMax Gripsense

Models:
- this is LaserMax Model #CF-SHIELD-C-R for the S&W M&P Shield or Shield 2.0, chambered in either 9x19mm or .40S&W
- there are LaserMax Gripsense models available for the Glock Single-Stack (e.g. Glock 43), Ruger LCP2, Ruger LC9/LC9s/LC380/EC9s, and S&W M&P Shield .45ACP
- comes with LaserMax Gripsense, one box with plastic molding insert, owner's handbook, and small ziploc bag with hex key adjustment tool, hex key installation tool, anti-theft device, laser warning sticker, and two 1/3N batteries

Features:
- red visible laser (green visible laser is Model #CF-SHIELD-C-G), adjustable for windage/elevation
- 100 lumen "mint green" weaponlight
- five modes (i. laser only, ii. laser strobe only, iii. laser + light, iv. strobe laser + light, v. light only) that you cycle through by pressing both buttons on opposite sides of the Gripsense
- it's activated via capacitance/touch (similar to touch-screen technology; works with gloves) at a small area of the trigger guard near the grip OR via one of two buttons on either side of the Gripsense (so it's ambidextrous)

Maintenance:
- allegedly five hours of battery life off two 1/3N batteries
- you do not have to uninstall to replace the batteries, so you keep zero

Price:
- $114.99 on Amazon as of 2018-10-01

Links:
- here's the official website: https://www.lasermax.com/cf-shield-c-r.html
- and here's a good review: https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/s...axs-gripsense/

HEAD-TO-HEAD COMPARISON

What You Get in the Packaging: Tie

Crimson Trace has more "swag" in the box (to include cleaning rods for the laser aperture), but it's somewhat annoying that you have to go find a screwdriver to complete installation (three screws).

In contrast, LaserMax has less in the packaging (and it's not as nice of a box for storage), but it does come with everything you need to complete installation (to include the hex wrench necessary to install the two hex screws).

Laser: LaserMax wins

The Crimson Trace laser is not aligned with the bore. At defensive-shooting distances, it's really not going to matter, but it cannot be denied that the difference between point-of-aim and point-of-impact is going to get worse the further away you are.

In contrast, the LaserMax laser is aligned with the bore.

Furthermore, the LaserMax laser can toggle between constant and strobe (while the Crimson Trace cannot). It's arguable that a strobe laser is easier to "pick up" in a fast-acquisition setting.

Light: Crimson Trace wins

The Crimson Trace weaponlight is a traditional white light that is 50% brighter (150 lumens vs. 100 lumens) than the LaserMax. You can also toggle between constant and strobe for the weaponlight, which some people seem to prefer (i.e. disorienting your target). Here it is lighting up my daughter's stuffed animal in our family room:

In contrast, the LaserMax weaponlight is dimmer, and it's a "mint green" color that's supposed to be easier on your eyes in a low-light situation. I personally found it a bit weak, but your mileage may vary.

Furthermore, the LaserMax has no strobe setting for the weaponlight (while the Crimson Trace does).

Activation: LaserMax wins

Both have the "instant-on" feature. The Crimson Trace is activated by depressing this small button:

Just by holding the Shield with your normal firing grip, your middle finger naturally falls on top of the button. You don't have to press hard (it's not like clicking on/off a handheld weaponlight), but it does require some positive movement (i.e. it's harder to accidentally activate it). This is the only way to activate the Laserguard Pro. There's also a tiny master on/off switch in a recessed section on the bottom, so you can completely inactive the unit (e.g. for storage).

In contrast, the LaserMax is activated by any sort of human contact (again, smart phone technology) at this section of the triggerguard near the grip (highlighted in red) -- this is the famous "grip sense" technology that gives the product its name. Additionally, you can manually turn on/off the laser/weaponlight by depressing this button (highlighted in green), which is on both sides of the unit:

The grip sense is very sensitive -- any sort of contact will set it off.

Cycling: Tie

Cycling through modes (though really, how often are you going to do that?) is easier on the Crimson Trace because it only requires depressing one button on the right side of the Laserguard Pro. It's not ambidextrous, but still only requires one hand. In contrast, cycling through the five modes of the LaserMax Gripsense requires depressing both buttons on both sides of the unit. So, it's ambidextrous in the sense that buttons are on either side, but you still need both hands.

As for options, really, it comes down to whether you favor strobing laser or strobing weaponlight. The Crimson Trace only has four modes to LaserMax's five, but the Crimson Trace has a strobing weaponlight and no strobing laser option, whereas the LaserMax has no strobing weaponlight but a strobing laser option.

Upkeep: Crimson Trace wins

Sure, you have to uninstall the left side of the Laserguard Pro to swap out batteries. In contrast, changing the batteries on the Gripsense involves just popping out the battery door, so you're not going to lose zero.

However, it's arguable that the slight change in zero you're going to experience isn't really going to matter at defensive shooting distances. Moreover, I've read some negative reviews where folks have broken the little tab on the Gripsense battery door. Finally, while neither CR2 and 1/3N batteries are going to be as plentiful as AA batteries, Crimson Trace does have a "free batteries for life" program.

Cost: LaserMax wins

No question that the LaserMax is cheaper. In fact, the LaserMax Gripsense with green laser is basically the same price as the Crimson Trace Laserguard Pro with red laser.

After-Market: Crimson Trace wins

BladeTech makes holsters that fit pistols fitted with Crimson Trace Laserguard Pros, a company named ProtectorPlus? does the same for LaserMax Gripsense, and Crossbreed makes holsters for both. That being said, Crimson Trace arguably has more of a following amongst LEOs/trainers, so the after-market is slightly better.

Overall: Tie

I'm going to wuss out and say that there's no clear winner. It comes down to what your priorities are and how much you're willing to pay for those priorities. The Crimson Trace has strengths (strobe weaponlight option, free batteries), and so does the LaserMax (laser aligned to bore, strobe laser option, cheaper).

That being said, I'm going to sell my LaserMax, if only because I have a similar Crimson Trace Laserguard Pro for my Glock 23, and would prefer to stock up a single kind of battery.

Respectfully,
butlers