Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many rounds per life of the magazine/spring?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

How many rounds per life of the magazine/spring?

Mainly asking about single-stack magazines like Shields, Glock 42/43, Kimber Solo's, LCP's, single stack Beretta's, those kinds of guns.

If a magazine holds say, 8 rounds, firing 1000 rds, that's 125 times fully loading it, 125 times fully unloading it. (shooting) 250 cycles?

Or do we count by each bullet inserted and removed? That would make 2000 occurrences of partial working of the spring.

I'm asking because I have some old Beretta's I shoot regularly. I'm not sure how long mags will be available so I want to figure how many (magazines and/or springs) I should buy for the number of rounds I intend to fire them over the years.

I'm also anticipating Florida turning into New, New York in regards to firearms restrictions. I don't know how long I'll be here. But I want to get the mags and mag parts I may need now.

I'm certain I have Glock magazines with at least 1000 rds on them. But some of them sometimes don't hold the slide back on the last shot. Yea, they're numbered, but I haven't concerned myself enough to weed them out and replace the springs. (Don't shoot those guns much)
    Last edited by Ron3; 10-02-18 at 22:40.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I've never found a definitive answer on "mag spring life" regarding cycles; from fully loaded to empty.
    There are a number of articles addressing- full compression and life of mags. We've all read of WWll 1911 mags that functioned after being fully loaded for 70 years.
    I have single stack, 1911 "range" magazines that have untold number of "cycles" and still function.

If I were concerned about future availability I'd stock up on springs and maybe followers for a worst case scenario. ISMI and Wolff have been my go to for pistol springs.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There is no set number. Typically, unless you're an extreme high volume shooter, the springs will last you a life time..... assuming good quality springs from a known quality manufacturer.

I mainly but police surplus gun and mags and have never seen a worn out spring. Even on foreign military surplus mags. My late 80s Israeli HiPower with original mag is still chugging along just fine.

If you're concerned buy as much as you feel comfortable with

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    If you have the means to afford the ammo, the springs / spare mags are chump change.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    There is no set number. Typically, unless you're an extreme high volume shooter, the springs will last you a life time..... assuming good quality springs from a known quality manufacturer.
    This. Assume a low end estimate of 5000 cycles. Multiply this times the mag capacity. You've outlasted the mag body, and possibly the gun.

I laugh at all the guys replacing mag springs in the ban era, as though that was accomplishing anything at all. If the spring were worn out, the mag body would have been falling apart.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've replaced springs for cause in mag bodies that were still GTG, and vice versa. Lots of variables in play.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    The only mags springs I’ve really had to replace on a regular basis is 1911 springs. I really think that has to do with the weight of the 1911 round. Single stack 9mm should last quite some time. We have training rifle mags at work that get used every day and last a few years. Our HK USP/P2000 Sims guns have an uncountable number of rounds through the same 15 guns and we have never replaced mag springs in 14 years of use. The sims rounds weigh nothing compared to 45FMJ rounds. I would think a 6 or 7 rounds of 9mm is not stressing the mag spring very much. David.

Feedback Score
    The manufacturer of the magazines matters, too. OEM Glock mags have a reputation for lasting a long time. But wait...if you're talking Asian Glock mags not so much from what I understand.

The main thing is: own enough mags that you feel comfortable in case there is another ban, and always make sure to own the best mags you can buy.

Feedback Score
    A quality mag spring, should never reach its L10 life. I would bet money, that a manufacturing defect, would kill one early in the life cycle, before wearing one out.

Improper installation would be another one, that may reduce the life as well.

As Doc said, buy has many as you can. I have 10, HK USPc 45 mags. I have more money in mags, than the gun is worth.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I have 6 Glock training mags, 3 each 19/17, I use a 19. Without stretching numbers, there are over 100k through them(6 together). They look like shit, I "shave" them if need be and here and there, take apart to clean. Yeah, fortunate that I didn't pay for the bullets, have some extra mags in the safe and don't worry. My first set of 3 17 mags, had about 75k, went with the gun-pity that guy who got a never shot cop gun
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast