Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muzzle device sitting on muzzle instead of barrel shoulder

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Muzzle device sitting on muzzle instead of barrel shoulder

I recall reading a thread talking about this a long time ago, I've been searching for a while without finding it so here goes.

Specifically talking flash hiders that do not need to be indexed, like AAC blackouts, NOT suppressor-bearing hiders, is it considered acceptable to install one without crush or peel washers and simply torque it down on the face of the barrel, that is, the hider is sitting on the face of the muzzle instead of the shoulder of the barrel behind the threads? Meaning the muzzle device does not contact the shoulder of the barrel at all.

Knowing many barrel designs simply don't have a shoulder (or too small of a shoulder) to hold a washer/muzzle device due to their small diameter, I'd be inclined to think this would be fine.

However has anyone found detriments towards accuracy and/or strenght of using this method?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I would not be comfortable tightening a muzzle device against the muzzle. I'd be worried it would distort the crown.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Assuming the crown is cut square to the bore, i cant see it causing any issues. Assuming that the flash hider in question also has a face in the proper position that is also square.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bonesteel View Post
    Assuming the crown is cut square to the bore, i cant see it causing any issues. Assuming that the flash hider in question also has a face in the proper position that is also square.
    THIS ^^^^^^^^^^

Feedback Score
    The Smith Vortex bottoms out on the muzzle face, no washers required.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bonesteel View Post
    I wasn't talking about a crown that's not square.

Now that I think about it, it's possible that compressing the muzzle is better than stretching it.

I am American

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I wasn't talking about a crown that's not square.

Now that I think about it, it's possible that compressing the muzzle is better than stretching it.
    At 20 ft/# you are NOT stretching or compressing anything. Tell me how you could compress without stretching anything. Typical claim based on internet BS. Draw yourself a picture depicting where the forces oppose each other in both scenarios.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I should have said tension and it ain't Internet BS either. If compression and tension didn't occur, the threads wouldn't hold.

The most precise way to torque a bolt is measure how much the bolt is stretched. For example, the installation of the main rotor blades on a Robinson R44 is very critical. So critical that torque isn't measured in ft/lbs, but by measuring bolt stretch. Engineers base in/lbs & ft/lbs torque specs on how much it stretches the bolt.

When a muzzle device is torqued against the shoulder of the barrel, the barrel is placed under tension. The majority of that tension will be concentrated between the threads and shoulder. Stretching does occur. Over torquing the muzzle device has been observed to have a negative effect on precision.

If the muzzle device is torqued against the crown, the barrel will experience compression forces mostly at the crown.

Hmm...
    Last edited by MistWolf; 10-03-18 at 21:50.

I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I should have said tension and it ain't Internet BS either. If compression and tension didn't occur, the threads wouldn't hold.

For example, the installation of the main rotor blades on a Robinson R44 is very critical. So critical that torque isn't measured in ft/lbs, but by measuring bolt stretch.
    Well, yeah, but is the Robinson R44 a Tier 1 helicopter?

Sorry I jest.

I think this is going to be like the old does the recoil begin before or after the projectile leaves the bore discussion.

I am curious, though, about this: Now that I think about it, it's possible that compressing the muzzle is better than stretching it. Are you thinking that linear compression would enlarge the bore and that linear extension would tighten it? What about the mating surfaces of the crown and muzzle device? Just curious.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artiz View Post
    I recall reading a thread talking about this a long time ago, I've been searching for a while without finding it so here goes.

Specifically talking flash hiders that do not need to be indexed, like AAC blackouts, NOT suppressor-bearing hiders, is it considered acceptable to install one without crush or peel washers and simply torque it down on the face of the barrel, that is, the hider is sitting on the face of the muzzle instead of the shoulder of the barrel behind the threads? Meaning the muzzle device does not contact the shoulder of the barrel at all.

Knowing many barrel designs simply don't have a shoulder (or too small of a shoulder) to hold a washer/muzzle device due to their small diameter, I'd be inclined to think this would be fine.

However has anyone found detriments towards accuracy and/or strenght of using this method?
    Where are you seeing skinny barrels without shoulders? I have never seen one. I have never seen an AR barrel less than .625 diameter and all had shoulders much larger than .625. Even if you cut the shoulder off and rethreaded the muzzle you would still have a shoulder big enough to support a PA shim. The ID of PA shims is only a few thousands larger than the major thread diameter. Assuming a standard 1/2-28 thread is used. I am not sure I have ever seen a flash hider that wasn't bored more than an eighth deeper than the threads. What would the muzzle bottom out on? The threads crashing on each other??
    Last edited by GH41; 10-03-18 at 15:09.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast