Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VP9-B button release

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

VP9-B button release

https://imgur.com/0W0dyLT

I will say this: I like the VP9's paddle release more than the PPQ release. But the PPQ M2 has a great button release.

I think they're just making too many skus at this point. Because it begs the question: Will we see a P30 with a button release?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    What a cluster...HK following Walther’s move with the PPQ is a desperate attempt to expand their market while isolating themselves their loyal market. For what it’s worth, I almost bought a PPQ when it was first released. A little while later when circumstances were more conducive to buying I learned spare mags for the PPQ were hard to find due to the PPQ v2. That turned me off from Walther. I like the paddle release system and seeing HK take this path is very upsetting, but hey, HK hates me and I suck. This time maybe it’s true.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-gnARR View Post
    What a cluster...HK following Walther’s move with the PPQ is a desperate attempt to expand their market while isolating themselves their loyal market. For what it’s worth, I almost bought a PPQ when it was first released. A little while later when circumstances were more conducive to buying I learned spare mags for the PPQ were hard to find due to the PPQ v2. That turned me off from Walther. I like the paddle release system and seeing HK take this path is very upsetting, but hey, HK hates me and I suck. This time maybe it’s true.
    I own both. A PPQ m2 and a VP9

I got the M2 in a trade and i'll probably sell it soon because the VP9 fills the same role and i'm much more invested into the platform.

My observations:

My VP9 safariland 6xxx series with light holster fits the PPQ with a light and without a light just fine.

The PPQ sights are a cluster, if you get aftermarket sights becuase of the way the slide tapers upward becoming more narrow towards the top, the sights literally protrude making it uncarryable. You will cut yourself on the sights all day IWB

Also, you can read about guys on the walther forums making make-shift mismatches sights. Apparently a glock sight will fit in the front. So if you don't like trijicon HDs or the stock night sights...good luck.

The button release is amazingly easy to hit. Easier than any of my other guns.

The paddle release on the m1 is not as good as HK's VP9 or p30 paddle release.

The mags on the VP9 are expensive. The PPQ M2 can use the canik TP9 magazines and vice versa. I believe TP9 mags are made by mec gar.

As for the triggers, they're really similar but the PPQ has slightly less take-up than the VP9 making easier strings of shots. The VP9 is not difficult by any means.

The actual fit, finish, and feel of the guns is similar, however I will say that the VP9 feels a bit more premium than the PPQ. BUT the p30 feels most premium of the 3. There's a noticeable difference between the p30 quality and the VP9 quality.

They're both picky on ammo. Neither pistol likes anything but brass ammo. Whereas even my old CZ75 police will shoot even the crappiest of steel ammo. M&P doesn't care either.

But the VP9 and PPQ really only operates flawlessly with brass.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Meh. Call me when they have factory 20-ish rounder magazines for the VP9/P30 and an optics cut on the slide.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    You know about Betamax vs. VHS? QWERTY vs. DVORAK? Sometimes the technically superior product fails if the inferior one has a massive market advantage. I think HK is being very practical here. The lever release seems to me a better design IF the user never, ever uses a push-button pistol. But in the USA, >95% of users will also use, and probably have trained and used before, with a push-button mag release, and if they own or use any non-HK pistols it's pretty much guaranteed that those other pistols will have a button mag release. So for the typical US user, serious or amateur, the push-button is a very practical option.

In various foreign countries where the pistol user is a government employee, issued XYZ pistol and likely to only use that one make/model for their entire pistol-carrying career, the levers make good sense.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Makes me regret the $ spent and 6 months my VP9 spent at LWG.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The HK and the Walther both have stepped chambers and are likely picky on steel case versus brass case. I have had good luck with aluminum case ammo, however. in my Walthers. CZs tend to eat all well. It is nice to shoot steel at $150/case.

I’m not sure of what anyone gains from a stepped chamber because the CZ is quite accurate.

The long paddle of the Walther is the apex of mag releases. Next is the p30/VP9. Excellent. Buttons are backwards, but the Walther button is the easiest of any stock button mag release made.
    Last edited by m4brian; 10-04-18 at 14:07.

Feedback Score
    Interesting takes on the paddle releases on the VP9 and the Walther PPQ M1 . I have several PPQ M1`s ( over 3000 rounds and several classes on one of them ) and have fired the VP 9 multiple times and prefer by far the paddle release of the PPQ ..... I guess just personal preference .

Yes , the stock PPQ sights suck , but they were perfectly servicable for me , however I did change them out first chance I for a set of Dawsons . I know of at least four companies that now make sights for the PPQ . Because my eyes are way past CSS , I now have a RMR on one of my PPQ`s and am experimenting with Speed Sights on the other . However , I did do pretty good on Dot Torture with the stock sights ..... when I could see the target ! From what I experienced , the aftermarket stuff for the PPQ sucked right after it came out , but now there is a pretty good selection of stuff to choose from .

Bodhi , don`t know what you mean about the PPQ sights making the gun uncarryable in IWB as I`ve been doing that for several years and several classes without any problems .... JM Custom Kydex and Comp Tac holsters and Dawson , Tru Glo and RMR sights . I would be curious to know more .

Magazines ? The P99 mags also fit the PPQ M1, are readily available and not prohibitively priced . I have 5 P99 mags and 4 PPQ mags and they all work perfectly .

For me , the PPQ paddle release is perfect .... I put my trigger finger up on the ejection port and use the next one in line to release the magazine . I have to make a grip change to use the VP9 paddle release . Because I have small hands , every button release I`ve tried also required a grip change to operate . I can also use the M1 slide release without a grip change . Makes mag changes relatively easy and fast.
    As far as ammo , haven`t tried steel case in my PPQ`s , but over 3000 rounds with no FTF or fire . My CZ P01 however will eat anything that is put through it .

Truth be known , IMHO , both are fine guns and which ever you end up with will be because of personal preference ..... which is why I have the M1 and not the VP9 . Don`t dislike the VP9 , just prefer the PPQ M1.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I love the VP9/P30 series paddle release. It's faster for me personally. I would not buy a regular push button version.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Good thing is apparently the magazines will all be the same between paddle / push-button.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast