Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new 16-18 inch Precision barrel

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Looking for a new 16-18 inch Precision barrel

Hey guys, I have given up on the skinny Faxon barrel that I have fought and fought to make shoot good. I contacted Faxon to see if they may be able to do something, but if that doesn't work out I need a new 16-18 inch barrel. What would you guys buy? And where might you buy it?? I just need MOA, but I need MOA.

Shit fire and save the matches, my LMT 10.5 shot a touching group at 50 yards. I feel manufacturing has gotten really good these days, I just need good not great.

Its been a while since I searched for a barrel, so help a brother out.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I don’t have experience with one, but have read good reports. Comes in 16” and 18”.

https://sonsoflibertygunworks.com/pr...h-gas-system-1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    I don’t have experience with one, but have read good reports. Comes in 16” and 18”.

https://sonsoflibertygunworks.com/pr...h-gas-system-1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Bud, interesting Ill check them out.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Hey guys, I have given up on the skinny Faxon barrel that I have fought and fought to make shoot good. I contacted Faxon to see if they may be able to do something, but if that doesn't work out I need a new 16-18 inch barrel. What would you guys buy? And where might you buy it?? I just need MOA, but I need MOA.

Shit fire and save the matches, my LMT 10.5 shot a touching group at 50 yards. I feel manufacturing has gotten really good these days, I just need good not great.

Its been a while since I searched for a barrel, so help a brother out.

PB
    PB- I would see what Faxon can do for you. I have one of their barrels that shots great, and I have heard good things about their customer service. Is there a thread relaying the issues? If so, can you send me the link please? I'm curious as to what you have experienced and what you have tried.

If you are looking for precision, Rainier Arms barrels have shot well for me, and they have a guarantee so if the barrel doesn't do what you want you send it back. Taken from their website:

We are so confident in our Match barrels that we will offer a 100% money back guarantee within 90 days of purchase. If you aren't completely satisfied with the barrel for any reason, return it for a full refund, no questions asked.
    https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-...lde-barrel-16/

Thanks!

ETA- I think everyone already knows that the owner of RA is a friend of mine. However, that doesn't change he is a barrel freak, and the barrels he has made shoot phenomenal. If you look at the review of the RA barrels, they are solid. There are plenty of other good barrel companies out there, but RA gives a pretty great bang for the buck.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Stick,

Yea, I started a thread , Figuring out a new Faxon barrel, but I suck at links and copy and paste to get you there. But you can find it. I have tried and tried to make it work and got a few decent groups but it opens up like crazy most of the time. Ill get a decent group one week, then Im spraying bullets everywhere the next. I know these guys are good guys, so I sent their CS another note. Last time they said "try lighter bullets" and offered nothing. I have shot everything out of the gun and most fodder is 2.5+ MOA, everybody makes an inferior product sometimes but I didn't get the feel their CS was all about it. Im hoping they can trade me out any barrel, even a heavier profile barrel if needed to get accurate.

Thanks for the encouragement, Ill keep you posted.

PB

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I’ve had good luck with Criterion barrels PB. They’re have some affiliation with Krieger.
    The two SS/handlapped, then Nitrided, I’m using are both <MOA with IMI 77 gr.- which won’t come close to what you boys are loading.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I've seen two Faxon barrels that convince me I wouldn't buy one.

Pappabear, if you want better than MOA, go to a machinist-gunsmith who will make you the barrel you want from a quality blank. Frank White, John Holliger, and John Scandale are just a few who cater to the National Match crowd.

A mass-produced barrel is just that. Throw raw rods into a hammer forge and you get whatever comes out, based on the quality of the initial bore drill and mandrels. Same with buttoned and broached barrels.

Cut barrels take a while to make, and a gunsmith who custom reams and finishes your chamber co-axial to the bore will more times than not give you a better end product.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've seen a bunch of sub-MOA Larue barrels, including my own. 5+ round groups.
    Some friends swear by Proof.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Take a look at Monte's (centurion arms) recce 16in barrel or his mk12 barrel. Both will give you sub moa 10 round groups with black hills. Also, criterion barrels are also very good.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Looking for a new 16-18 inch Precision barrel

PB,

I agree with Stick, you should chase this down. A 2 MOA precision barrel from Faxon is unsat imo. Has Nathan from Faxon chimed in ?? Usually he will jump in the Faxon discussions...Maybe you can get him involved.

If that doesn’t work out or you decide to try another barrel I could not recommend Ballistic Advantage enough. They also have a mil/LEO discount which makes their barrels even more compelling.

Here are some options. I know you said MOA, but these will give you sub MOA and they guarantee sub MOA. I’ve owned the last barrel on the list, it was a consistent tack driving SOB. I reviewed it with some shot group sizes in the review. BA does guarantee sub MOA performance and they shoot exceptionally well, especially the Hanson profile. I’ve built about 15-20 AR’s with their barrels and I have yet to have an issue with performance or finish.

I have an 18” fluted Faxon barrel at home, but unfortunately it is unfired.

Most expensive to least
    16” 416R SS 223 Wylde
    https://ballisticadvantage.com/16-in...um-barrel.html
    16” CMV BA Hanson mid-length
    https://ballisticadvantage.com/16-in...ce-barrel.html

16” Performance BA Hanson mid length
    https://ballisticadvantage.com/16-in...ce-barrel.html

18” Performance SPR CMV barrel, rifle gas
    https://ballisticadvantage https://ballisticadvantage.com/16-in...rel-ops12.html
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 09-30-18 at 20:17.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast