Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: If SBRs Became Title 1 Firearms, What Would Your Practical Carbine Be...?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    Absolutely not. I have 5 from when John was with us and 4 from after. They are all GTG. The internet hype is pure BS.

As for DD, if I couldn't get a Noveske I would get a DD. They make a great barrel and know have to make a real "proper" gas port that will shoot anything and is reliable.
    Doc,

This is good to hear about Noveske. I had a 16” SS that would be consistently under MOA and sometimes in the .5-.6 range. Kinda wish I hadn’t sold it now. I’m in the market for a better performing 12.5” barrel that will be my go to “mini recce” topped with an NX8. It’s got a BA 12.5” right now that can’t hold a group better than 2” and the groups seem to walk a little. More testing needed, but I would be happy with 1-1.25 MOA. Would you say the CL Noveske would get this done with match ammo? Or would the SS be necessary for that?

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Doc,

This is good to hear about Noveske. I had a 16” SS that would be consistently under MOA and sometimes in the .5-.6 range. Kinda wish I hadn’t sold it now. I’m in the market for a better performing 12.5” barrel that will be my go to “mini recce” topped with an NX8. It’s got a BA 12.5” right now that can’t hold a group better than 2” and the groups seem to walk a little. More testing needed, but I would be happy with 1-1.25 MOA. Would you say the CL Noveske would get this done with match ammo? Or would the SS be necessary for that?
    For that set up get the SS 12.5 barrel. It will be much better suited for what you want.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    For that set up get the SS 12.5 barrel. It will be much better suited for what you want.
    Interesting, I would have thought the CL offering would meet the accuracy requirement. I didn’t mention the intended range, but I’m looking for it to play effectively out to 400-500 yds. Weight is something else I’m considering too and the SS is a few ounces heavier than CL...probably won’t matter that much, but it’s still there. Any thoughts on whether dimpling the barrel (Marvin Pitts) would change accuracy?

ETA: All accuracy requirements that I’m talking about here are with heavy OTM rounds. I don’t expect 55gr FMJ to meet 1-1.25 MOA. And truthfully, I’d be ok with 1.5 MOA

ETA2: it will also be suppressed
    Last edited by Ironman8; 10-15-18 at 10:20.

Feedback Score
    “It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.” Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    deleted
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 12-18-18 at 17:30.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    Can someone explain the logic of how this would be beneficial? A 12.5" barreled AR, with a 1.5" muzzle device, bringing the overall length out to roughly 14" when you can already own a 16" overall length barrel with pinned flash hider. Saving 2 inches? Maybe if it had a folding stock but otherwise it's kind of pointless.
    For me and my experience in a close quarters environment, a pinned 14.5” is about as long as I want to go (comfortably). Even going to a 16” w/ muzzle device changes how I maneuver the gun in a hall/room setting. By the same token, going to a 12.5” is even better than 14.5”. Then you start throwing suppressors on each of these and the changes magnify. With my chosen suppressor (Ops Inc), I can keep OAL down below a pinned 14.5” OAL WITH suppressor attached.

On the long range side of the equation, 12.5” is a sweet spot in velocity compared to other SBR lengths for reaching out to my perceived max effective range of 400-500 yds. Yes this can, and has, been done with 10.5 and 11.5 as well, but I like the extra velocity and dwell time of the 12.5” for reliability. Doc has also mentioned that 12.5” stabilizes the heavy bullets better as well.

To me it’s just the right bridge between both worlds.
    Last edited by Ironman8; 10-15-18 at 13:01.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thumbs up

Absolutely not. I have 5 from when John was with us and 4 from after. They are all GTG. The internet hype is pure BS.

As for DD, if I couldn't get a Noveske I would get a DD. They make a great barrel and know have to make a real "proper" gas port that will shoot anything and is reliable.
    Thanks for getting back to me Doc, good to know the Noveskes are still G2G.

Do you happen to know the date range (in years) that DD was having hiccups with there gas port sizing?

Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Moose,
    I ain’t doc, but I’ll say my peace regarding your question. The DD 12.5, LaRue 12”, and Noveske 12.5 will run anything you feed it. The other barrels you mentioned often need a can to cycle all lower pressure 223 consistently. Others have not experienced that, but many have. I own a Centurion 12.5 and it stays suppressed and runs like a maniac with my AAC can. And it’s accurate as well. Pull the can off and try to run Freedom 223? Different story.

I mentioned this in another post asking about the best 12.5 barrel. I’ve owned a 11.5 DD and a 12” LaRue. The BLUF? Those barrels along with Noveske 12.5 with eat everything at the local Chinese Buffet, including the sushi that really isn’t real sushi. The other barrels you mentioned will dine more often at boutique Japanese sushi restaurant and will choke and gag on fake sushi.

I believe for a SHTF or a “go bang no matter what I feed it gun”, the DD12.5 is the winner. I’d feel equally as confident with the LaRue 12”. Both of those are gassier than your Japanese sushi barrels, but there’s ways to reduce that, for like $4.99.
    Amigo, that might be the single greatest barrel analogy I've ever read!

I appreciate your input as well, it put it into perspective perfectly lol and I'm a fiend for Asian cuisine, well except for the raw stuff.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I don’t see myself ever touching Noveske again. My sample size is only three - one during the John era and two after his death. Never had an issue with number one. Number two had a shit chrome lining job that lead to cracking and very inconsistent accuracy. I realized the issue at about 4k rounds, no idea how long it had been going on. Noveske replaced it (after I paid to ship it to them) and do a good job saving my pinned muzzle device. They also got it back to me relatively quickly. But, it recoiled far worse than my issued M4 despite being a middy, having a WarComp, and using an A5-3 with green spring. I also didn’t feel that the accuracy was where it should be. I didn’t test it thoroughly, but I had three separate three round groups of 77 gr BH at approximately 50m that were between 1” and 1 1/4.” In similar conditions, I put five rounds of 68 gr BH in a 1 1/4” group at 60 out of my URG-I.

I could have maybe lived with one of those issues, if it wasn’t supposed to be a $3-400 barrel. Like I said, I don’t see myself ever buying from them again. All of this is covered here, the thread was titled something like “Huuuge groups today, what’s going on?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Interesting, I would have thought the CL offering would meet the accuracy requirement. I didn’t mention the intended range, but I’m looking for it to play effectively out to 400-500 yds. Weight is something else I’m considering too and the SS is a few ounces heavier than CL...probably won’t matter that much, but it’s still there. Any thoughts on whether dimpling the barrel (Marvin Pitts) would change accuracy?

ETA: All accuracy requirements that I’m talking about here are with heavy OTM rounds. I don’t expect 55gr FMJ to meet 1-1.25 MOA. And truthfully, I’d be ok with 1.5 MOA

ETA2: it will also be suppressed
    If you are going with a 1-8x I would go ahead and get the SS to maximize the combo.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Thanks for getting back to me Doc, good to know the Noveskes are still G2G.

Do you happen to know the date range (in years) that DD was having hiccups with there gas port sizing?

Amigo, that might be the single greatest barrel analogy I've ever read!

I appreciate your input as well, it put it into perspective perfectly lol and I'm a fiend for Asian cuisine, well except for the raw stuff.
    DD has always had good port sizes. That was a slam on people who say stuff is over gassed when they don't understand why it is gasses like that.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast