Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: sailors attached to Marine Infantry Units in Nam

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    I had a great uncle who was a TEC-4 (radio operator) who had to swim rough surf as he landed on Utah beach with the Tough 'Ombres (90th ID) with a 30lb SCR-300 field radio on his back. How far radio tech has come . . .
    That kind of puts it in perspective, the PRC-25s and 77s were just under 20 lbs in a typical config and were much more effective radios. 1.5-2 watts, 60 hr batter life, etc.

SCR-300 was 32-38 lbs with battery, and was 0.3 watts. 18 tubes. Heavy batteries.

I keep my PRC-77 parked on 51.0 just waiting on a call. And monitor the low band vhf mil base tower freqs close by, though it has virtually no traffic. Also have a couple of SEM-35's, German equiv to the PRC-77. Heavier, beautifully made. Has the advantage of also doing 10m ham bands, which the PRC's can't really. (though there was a trick you could get some into 10m)

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The most fascinating aspect of the "Brown Water Navy" was really army, the PACV's (Patrol Air Cushion Vehicle) hovercraft.

Very effective in VN Game Warden. I've seen the last remaining one 1st hand at Ft Eustis transpo museum in VA. It's worth a stop if in the area. Have a bunch of marine/amphib stuff as well. (LARC's, etc).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrol...ushion_Vehicle

Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Better PACV pic:
    image215.jpg
    Last edited by pinzgauer; 10-05-18 at 15:45.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    The most fascinating aspect of the "Brown Water Navy" was really army, the PACV's (Patrol Air Cushion Vehicle) hovercraft.

Very effective in VN Game Warden. I've seen the last remaining one 1st hand at Ft Eustis transpo museum in VA. It's worth a stop if in the area. Have a bunch of marine/amphib stuff as well. (LARC's, etc).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrol...ushion_Vehicle

Those are, err were badass.

I played with one of these growing up:

"In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    My uncle retired Navy SeaBees, 30 years, 1950-1980, retired EOCS. 2 tours in VN, established US base in Diego Garcia, was NCOIC of the permanent military detachment at Camp David.

Feedback Score

Cool

During my year in Vietnam ('68-'68) at Danang AB as a Marine Air Deliveryman (AKA: Rigger), I never knew of any Navy personnel attached to any Marine unit other than a Corpsman. Also, I have never heard of it being done but like all things "Never say never."

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123