Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Observations from bringing the 1911 out, for the 1st time, in a long time

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    The Springfield Mil-spec is kind of a sleeper in the 1911 game. A lot of bang for the buck and great warranty if needed.
    Agree with this. My mil spec is my second favorite 1911 to shoot after my Les Baer. Never had a problem with it (same can't be said for my Colt), and actually has a surprisingly smooth trigger and slide. I had a problem years ago with a Springfield TRP and can attest to Springfield having excellent customer service.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    The Springfield Mil-spec is kind of a sleeper in the 1911 game. A lot of bang for the buck and great warranty if needed.
    I picked up an almost-new one of these quite a while back. It's my range beater gun, saves me from high mileage on my pristine Series 80 Cold Mark IV.

Works just fine. Throw away the included cheezo magazine and buy Wilsons.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Observations from bringing the 1911 out, for the 1st time, in a long time

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbean View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply,

Of those two do you have a preference?
    I may have a preference to the SA only because I’ve always wanted a TRP.

As far as the differences between the Colt and the SA I guess it comes down to which would be a better gun to shoot with him, or which one would be the better representation of what he would’ve had serving back then in the army.

Sounds to me like the Springfield may be the better choice given if we have a warranty issue.

I haven’t had the chance yet to see what each manufactures warranty is. I’m hoping to dive into that this weekend.

I appreciate you folks helping me out and giving me a better direction, from what I found on gun broker so far the Springfield I think is going to be the cheaper alternative of the two.

However I have a feeling if I ask him about the 1911 that he shot in the army he’s probably going to tell me it was a Colt Lol...

Edit: Confirmed is was a Colt, hahaha
    Last edited by Greenbean; 02-01-19 at 18:55.

Feedback Score
    Gods bless him, a ww2 vet still alive is getting rarer by the day. My father passed 22 years ago and my step dad , both ww2 vets, is 99.
    The Dan Wesson A2 is one you should consider too. Very well made with all steel internals, no MIM parts, and has better 3 dot sites for older eyes. The GI sites on the Colt and the Springer ( both good guns too) may be a challenge for him to see.
    Last edited by MAUSER202; 02-02-19 at 08:33.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Brothers I have to apologize, I am losing my marbles! He’s a Vietnam veteran not a WW2.

I appreciate the info about a gun that would not have MIM parts, the research continues but I’m looking to purchase before the end of March.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm no expert and I don't play one on TV but based on what I have read, MIM done right is nothing to fear in a new gun. Colt uses a MIM sear and disconnector and have a reputation of being good parts. Indeed, when I offered my gunsmith a chance to replace the Colt sear he declined and told me it wasn't necessary. My Colt has aprox. 10,000 rounds through it and zero broken parts. If something does break the best thing about a 1911 is the huge selection of replacement parts.

My late father was a WW2 vet and he carried a M1911 in the skies above France, Holland, Germany, etc. He finally bought himself a new Colt in 1968, it's mine now along with his Marbles knife.
    Last edited by 1986s4; 02-02-19 at 14:01.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I had a bunch of Colt MIM parts for sale on the EE once and Pistolwrench bought 'em all.

Told me all I needed to know...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    I had a bunch of Colt MIM parts for sale on the EE once and Pistolwrench bought 'em all.

Told me all I needed to know...
    Don’t get me wrong , MIM parts work just like polymers do for pistol frames. I just think a classic like a1911 should have traditional tool steel parts.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MAUSER202 View Post
    Don’t get me wrong , MIM parts work just like polymers do for pistol frames. I just think a classic like a1911 should have traditional tool steel parts.
    I hear you and given a choice toll steel is what I would want given that it's a quality made part. If and when something does break on my Colt [I don't baby it at all] I'll find a Wilson or something equivalent and have it installed. But for what I use my pistol for the MIM is doing just fine. Most of us will never wear out our pistols.

Feedback Score
    I have two 5” steel .45s - a Colt 1911A1 with an Essex frame set up like a WW1 gun.
    The other is a Clackamas Kimber that I bought from the estate of one of our retirees.
    They are occasional range guns for me and are not carried.
    Too many decades toting Smith K frames and Austrian Tupperware to trust myself with a thumb safety.
    I also flinch worse with short travel triggers versus long ones.
    If and when I ever retire from LE, I may give them the time to become proficient with them.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast