Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Observations from bringing the 1911 out, for the 1st time, in a long time

Feedback Score
    I learned to shoot on a 1911, and still have that first one, a first-gen AMT Hardballer, one of the good Harry Sanford ones. Now I have a couple Springfields, two Kimbers, and a custom-built CCO. Love ‘em all!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I love to sling a few with the 1911. Everyone should own one.. but it's like a classic car. A pleasure to have and drive, but not a good daily driver.
    I believe this will be my conclusion. I have this little voice however...whispering...but you've never shot a 9mm 1911.
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post

There absolutely more practical sidearms in today's world, no arguments there. But for me, The 1911 scratches an itch that others can't. Nostalgia is pretty frowned upon in today's world for some reason, but I am to the point that I don't really care. If 1911's keep me interested enough to keep shooting and learning, then so be it, fate accepted.
    I so understand where you are coming from.
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I love to sling a few with the 1911. Everyone should own one.. but it's like a classic car. A pleasure to have and drive, but not a good daily driver.
    For most people there are better carry options than a 1911. El Presidente drills with a Glock 17 yield scores around the 5,500 - 5,800 mark. Sometimes I can hit 6,000, but not too often. A mediocre run with my 1911 and 230 grain ball runs 5,500 and frequently posted scores are at or over the 6,000 mark. You can't argue with the timer and I carry some form of a 1911 and leave the Glock 19 in the safe. Two of the old goats I meet for coffee during the week carry K Frames and they are incredibly proficient with them. They can't understand why I carry a semi-automatic.

I cut my teeth on the 1911 in the 1970's and I love them. It must be a generational thing.
    Last edited by T2C; 10-05-18 at 20:46.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    For most people there are better carry options than a 1911. El Presidente drills with a Glock 17 yield scores around the 5,500 - 5,800 mark. Sometimes I can hit 6,000, but not too often. A mediocre run with my 1911 and 230 grain ball runs 5,500 and frequently posted scores are at or over the 6,000 mark. You can't argue with the timer and I carry some form of a 1911 and leave the Glock 19 in the safe. Two of the old goats I meet for coffee during the week carry K Frames and they are incredibly proficient with them. They can't understand why I carry a semi-automatic.

I cut my teeth on the 1911 in the 1970's and I love them. It must be a generational thing.
    I'm millennial and carry a 1911 in a Milt Sparks VM2 or 1AT almost daily - once in a while, I'll carry a plastic wonder nine for a month or so, but I always come back to the 1911. But I grew up reading Cooper and Hackathorn and Clint Smith and got into real guns at the same time MARSOC was becoming a thing and buying I-CQBs and other, "MEUSOC,"-type pistols and my first handgun was a 1911 (a Kimber Desert Warrior, which I put black, original Simonich Gunner grips on, back when Hilton Yam still recommended the basic Kimber Warrior).

If I could only have one pistol, it would be a 1911.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    SHUT UP...SHUT UP...SHUT UP....SHUT UP!
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I guess it depends on what you think practical is.

As a small framed guy who only carries concealed in very low risk areas, a doublestack pistol is very impractical.

I carry a lightweight Government 1911 in 9mm and it just marginally less comfortable and concealable than a Glock 43.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I picked up a pair of alloy frame, 9mm 1911's this Spring as carry guns. Have a 5" and "Commander" length.
    Never owned a Glock or similar, but carried P-35's for years. I find the Alloy 1911's carry better for me.
    Made some lightweight mods; arched/short, trigger work, springs FBFPS-done.
    Both shoot 124+P HST <2" at 25 yds. I'm comfortable with either.

"Commander"

5"

25 yd./5 rds./"Commander"/benched-dial in.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    my first handgun was a 1911 (a Kimber Desert Warrior, which I put black, original Simonich Gunner grips on, back when Hilton Yam still recommended the basic Kimber Warrior).
    I was shopping for another 1911 back in 2005 when I also heeded Hilton's recommendation and bought a Kimber Warrior which I put desert tan Simonich Gunner grips on. The only thing I wished it had was a checkered front strap like the newer model (hence the skateboard tape). I think Hilton didn't recommend it later on and wrote about issues with it. I haven't had any issues with mine.
    kimber.jpg

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    U-Vibe carried a compact 1911 on the streets of Big City for 20 years. Now I'm carrying a Ruger SR9. You can't beat the increased capacity. But plastic and industrial-coated steel just can't compare to a good version of Browning's masterwork. The SR9 is a tool, no more. The 1911 is a work of genius.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast