Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Observations from bringing the 1911 out, for the 1st time, in a long time

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    I was shopping for another 1911 back in 2005 when I also heeded Hilton's recommendation and bought a Kimber Warrior which I put desert tan Simonich Gunner grips on. The only thing I wished it had was a checkered front strap like the newer model (hence the skateboard tape). I think Hilton didn't recommend it later on and wrote about issues with it. I haven't had any issues with mine.
    Attachment 54038
    I've had a few, now, and never had an issue with any of them that I shot. The last one I bought I never shot before I flipped it, and the guy I sold it to had the problems that Yam documented.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    deleted
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 12-18-18 at 17:35.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Have multiple 1911s. Less than 20. Perhaps a high of a few more 4-5 years ago. Had a new one that wouldn't extract properly. That was due to a recoil spring of all things. Had one that shot around corners due to a bent front sight. Other than that, they all run fine. Don't know if I have a favorite. Sure have a warm and fuzzy for my old Norinco though. By far the nicest is my Valor. IMO, my Colt was way overpriced but that's what it was bring then when I wanted one. I trust them all.

Had a couple of P220s decades ago when I worked. Really liked them. Had a Glock 19 shortly after the plant opened in Georgia. Believe it was a Gen 2 and the only firearm I wish I hadn't sold.

When I carry, I always carry a 1911; mostly an Officer-sized. If I venture out to where I anticipate potential distance (for a sustained time), I take a 5". I call it "Luby's" carry.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE= ....... If I could only have one pistol, it would be a 1911.[/QUOTE]

I am fast approaching this same conclusion.

Somewhere along the lines I crossed over the "less is more" threshold, and have been acutely focused on quality over quantity. I have already culled the long gun heard down to fit this criteria, the handguns will be, more than likely, the next step.

Feedback Score
    For me, there is nothing else like a 1911. There are 1911's, and then everything else. The BHP is a close second, and I also love a nice wheel gun. Due to my usual everyday routine I don't carry 1911's as much as I would like, but they will always be my favorite.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I picked up a pair of alloy frame, 9mm 1911's this Spring as carry guns. Have a 5" and "Commander" length.
    Never owned a Glock or similar, but carried P-35's for years. I find the Alloy 1911's carry better for me.
    Made some lightweight mods; arched/short, trigger work, springs FBFPS-done.
    Both shoot 124+P HST <2" at 25 yds. I'm comfortable with either.

"Commander"

5"

25 yd./5 rds./"Commander"/benched-dial in.
    Handled on of these Commanders a couple of days ago at LGS, and damn if they aren't a nice gun for the money. Got my wheels turning for sure.
    Last edited by Norseman; 10-24-18 at 11:38. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Being a 1911 snob, I was surprised at the quality of parts (EGW/bar stock), fit/finish and attention to detail.

I thought they were a good value.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Well, to all you guys who still, in the year 2018, can't help but bubble over about how great the 1911 is, I can only say.....

Yer right.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    Well, to all you guys who still, in the year 2018, can't help but bubble over about how great the 1911 is, I can only say.....

Yer right.
    So let's address some "issues" here, shall we?

My dad hated the gun. He of course dealt mainly with worn out World War II examples, but he couldn't resist any opportunity to say:

1. Rattles like an old pickup truck
    2. At least if you throw it you can probably hit something with it
    3. Won't feed anything but ball ammo
    4. Each one should be shipped with a complimentary gunsmith to keep it running.

These are exaggerations, I know, but I keep chanting these to keep me from wanting one after not having owned one for ten years.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post

Yer right.
    Amen.

But lets not speak to loudly about this, it might catch on. I am kinda fond of finding good deals on old tech.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast