Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Observations from bringing the 1911 out, for the 1st time, in a long time

Feedback Score
    the 1911 is my favorite handgun period, its the best to shoot and by far best looking (berretta 92 not far behing)....... but id rather carry a glock personally

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Yeah, it is not flat out the best gun for every application, same as all the others. Many departments across the country continue to authorize it and at least two in the Chicago area issue it. They do so successfully but they have long experience at it and trained people to keep an eye on them. Like, well, like most departments do for their Glocks and AR15's, it only makes sense.

There are some strikes against it for general issue. If I were to be tasked with equipping a department with handguns I would not pick the 1911, but for gun people, LE or not, who will commit to having a certain level of knowledge and diligence, and are at a level of proficiency where they can benefit from the things it does better, well, that's where it belongs. Not to say a person "should have certain qualities" to own one, just saying for real-deal daily use, it's advisable to have a deeper understanding of it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    Yeah, it is not flat out the best gun for every application, same as all the others. Many departments across the country continue to authorize it and at least two in the Chicago area issue it. They do so successfully but they have long experience at it and trained people to keep an eye on them. Like, well, like most departments do for their Glocks and AR15's, it only makes sense.

There are some strikes against it for general issue. If I were to be tasked with equipping a department with handguns I would not pick the 1911, but for gun people, LE or not, who will commit to having a certain level of knowledge and diligence, and are at a level of proficiency where they can benefit from the things it does better, well, that's where it belongs. Not to say a person "should have certain qualities" to own one, just saying for real-deal daily use, it's advisable to have a deeper understanding of it.
    Thanks for that. I was beginning to lust after one again.

Truth is: I shoot that damn handgun better than any. I constantly have to practice my "Glock" trigger. I use the slack as kind of a pseudo two-stage trigger and pause just before the break to get my sights aligned one more time. Every 1911 I've ever owned has been the easiest firearm to aim and shoot well.

Dang. There I go. Maybe I gotta have another two or three of 'em.

Feedback Score
    Here in the southwest it is still somewhat common to see 1911's on duty, but just not as prominent as it used to be. The ones you do see are pretty easily recognizable as being of the "old guard" so to speak and have many years behind those guns. Also have a couple of Fed buddies, that once they pulled the retirement pin, went over to carrying 1911's/j-frames for pretty much everything.

But with that being said, if I was going to go back to strapping a Sam Brown on everyday (not likely) the 1911 would not be my first or even second choice for reasons that are pretty obvious, at least to my way of thinking. Right tool for the right job at the right time and all that.

99% of what I use my firearms for these days is pure shooting enjoyment and general fussing over. The 1911 fits that bill pretty well while still being a viable (for me and my lifestyle) defense/carry gun should I choose, which I often do.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    Thanks for that. I was beginning to lust after one again.

Truth is: I shoot that damn handgun better than any. I constantly have to practice my "Glock" trigger. I use the slack as kind of a pseudo two-stage trigger and pause just before the break to get my sights aligned one more time. Every 1911 I've ever owned has been the easiest firearm to aim and shoot well.

Dang. There I go. Maybe I gotta have another two or three of 'em.
    Not trying to be an enabler, but...........

Sometimes easy is good.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Doc, the last thing I wanted was to talk you out of another 1911..... if you don't get one, no one here is going to say they think less of you.... :-)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I really want a Discretion commander but I can’t find a company who make a good looking thread on comp to run when. It playing with my suppressor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For the 1911 fans. This always cracked me up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunker View Post
    For the 1911 fans. This always cracked me up. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...000ecdd0b9.jpg
    When was the last time you had an unreliable stick?
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    When was the last time you had an unreliable stick?
    Ask Pfizer
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast