Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Observations from bringing the 1911 out, for the 1st time, in a long time

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingHunter View Post
    Ask Pfizer
    I don't think Pfizer would admit to chapstick not working as intended, assuming that's what you're referencing.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Can't stand modern wonder Tupperware. 1911s don't take much to keep running, keeping them clean, oiled, replacing recoil, firing pin springs every 2500 rounds, and main recoil every 10k and don't buy crappy ones. They just fit me, I don't own a wonder 9. Ccw a full size 1911 45acp and wouldn't have it any other way.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    deleted
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 12-18-18 at 16:59.

Feedback Score
    I just took out my 1911 last week and shot standards from Tom Givens intensive pistol class. Every thing went well over all. I notices shots were more accurate but split times were a little longer as well as reloads. This piece is a base Springfield mil spec worked up by me with reliability polishing, beaver tail, fire control, ambi-thumb safety, sights, slight melting of edges, etc. Had it Cerekoted by third party as I do not have space in Garage.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    Can't stand modern wonder Tupperware. 1911s don't take much to keep running, keeping them clean, oiled, replacing recoil, firing pin springs every 2500 rounds, and main recoil every 10k and don't buy crappy ones. They just fit me, I don't own a wonder 9. Ccw a full size 1911 45acp and wouldn't have it any other way.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I know. No modern plastic can compete with forged-billet, machined-steel products of John Moses Browning's genius. But . . .

I just made the switch after 20 years of CCW with a 1911.

I had 8 in the gun and 7 in the spare.

Now I have 18 in the gun and 17 in the spare.

35 > 15 in the big city.

But the 1911s still rule at the range.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    There's still plenty of 1911s at work in the big cities. If you know the guys that don't wear uniforms you see a LOT of 1911s down here by the border.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    My Colt 1911 comes out once or twice a year in the fall for maybe 50-100s per range session - nothing much done to it other than a light trigger job, metal MSH, some Colt emblem wood grips, and some Gov't Surplus CMP mags I scored a couple of years ago still in the packaging.

It's a great pistol but I bought it for fun and the American History in the weapon. I've thought about carrying one but plastic-fantastics are it for me.

I don't bust on anyone for what they carry as long as it's reliable and works for them. People are far better off with a weapon they know and shoot well.

Feedback Score
    For the OP, place your thumb on the safety while shooting. Not only will this stop you from inadvertently engaging the safety, it also will allow you to control recoil better with a higher purchase on the grip.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I bought a Colt .38 Super Auto in late 2012 because reasons.. I always wanted a .38 super and I got a good deal. Originally thought it would be a range toy but it just grew on me. 3 x 2000 round no new lube, no cleaning tests later and it is a viable defensive tool. In fact after the last one I didn't even clean it, just reapplied some oil in the right places and it cycles just fine.
    Never broken a part, a blown case head damaged a magazine follower but both are back in service. I've had a Wilson flatwire spring in it for over a year and the same shokbuff it came with. Both are doing fine, I'm running a destructive test on the shokbuff.. Extractor and fire control parts are stock with the exception of a Harrison thumb safety.

I've carried it but I would rather carry my Beretta 92c or Smith M13 3"

With the exception of lube I have pointedly not maintained it. I run my M9, AR 15 and Colt wet.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    I bought a Colt .38 Super Auto in late 2012 because reasons.. I always wanted a .38 super and I got a good deal. Originally thought it would be a range toy but it just grew on me. 3 x 2000 round no new lube, no cleaning tests later and it is a viable defensive tool. In fact after the last one I didn't even clean it, just reapplied some oil in the right places and it cycles just fine.
    Never broken a part, a blown case head damaged a magazine follower but both are back in service. I've had a Wilson flatwire spring in it for over a year and the same shokbuff it came with. Both are doing fine, I'm running a destructive test on the shokbuff.. Extractor and fire control parts are stock with the exception of a Harrison thumb safety.

I've carried it but I would rather carry my Beretta 92c or Smith M13 3"

With the exception of lube I have pointedly not maintained it. I run my M9, AR 15 and Colt wet.
    This has been my experience as well. As long as they are lubed well, my 1911's have run as well as anything else I own.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast