Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Observations from bringing the 1911 out, for the 1st time, in a long time

Feedback Score
    I bought a SA stainless loaded manuf 2014 and purchased new. This particular pistol has been 100% reliable never any mis feed extraction or firing problems. About 800 rounds through it.
    So I like shooting this one, and would be very confident carrying it.

Actual carry is a Glock 26 gen 3. This fits my hand just right and has been totally reliable too. Total round 2000 but lost count. Still using same recoil spring but may change it soon.

Main reason for the Glock in CC is weight and round count.
    Last edited by OttoLoader; 12-22-18 at 21:13.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I love to sling a few with the 1911. Everyone should own one.. but it's like a classic car. A pleasure to have and drive, but not a good daily driver.
    This.

Feedback Score
    I can't tell you how many arguments I have had about whether to carry a 1911 or polymer pistol.

Background creates bias, was taught to shoot a pistol (12 years old) by one of Dad's very good friends, Texas Ranger and of course was a 1911, full size, 45acp.

(polymer, really plastic) Capacity, lighter weight, thicker, cheaper, reliable, no soul.

(1911, Gods gun) Thinner, better trigger, less capacity, more expensive (I'm worth it), heavier, soul, a little more recoil in 45acp, but 9mm and 38 Supers are nice.

All have Trijicon HD yellow sights or brass bead front sights, all carry in Milt Sparks or TT Gunleather and all have thumb safeties. (same manual of arms, Sig P320/M17 Bravo with thumb safety for plastic pistol).

Carry what you like, carry often and practice/train a lot.
    Last edited by awmp; 01-20-19 at 09:11.

Feedback Score
    My first two guns were both 1911s when I was 25 back in 2000. A full sized custom accurized model for NRA Bullseye (I wonder how many on this forum know what that is) and a Gen 1 Kimber compact.

I would try Glocks and other handguns and always hated them in comparison....especially Glocks.

Fast forward 10 years to when I started shooting IDPA. On two instances in one season I failed to depress the grip safety on my compact. I had finally experienced this issue and it terrified me. Between that and trying to figure out the black magic involved in making a 4” gun cycle reliably with different ammo, I decided to make a move.

Wanting to stick with 45 (I reload and had a ton of brass, primers, bullets, etc) I went with a M&P full size 45 with an Apex FSS trigger and a thumb safety . 100 percent reliable and almost the same ergos. Actually the bore axis is lower and preferable. Also, the accuracy was equivalent to my stock Compact.

For me this setup is very very close to a 1911 and I would recommend it to anyone trying to ween themselves off the highly addictive 1911 platform. I have also moved to this set up in 9mm as well as a compact 9mm.

That said, very 6 months I start to look at a new full sized 1911! I have thus far resisted.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The first gun I owned (still do) was an Auto Ordnance 45–nothing fancy but it shoots. This was followed by a Ruger MK II. My third gun was a Springfield (don’t remember model) which I traded for a Kimber Eclipse Target II. I got the Kimber back in 01 or 02 and it has been very reliable. I have probably shot less than 200 rounds through it since 2005 but I still have it. Threads like this make me want to shoot the piss put of it and add another 1911 to my collection, like a Wilson or Nighthawk. But looking at how often I shoot my 1911s, I can’t justify one of the fancy ones.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Can I ask for some directional advice:

I would like to get my first 1911 (variant) pistol. However it’s for me and my WW2 vet father-in-law to shoot.

So that being said, who makes the best WW2 era 1911 version (clone?)

I’m drawn to the Colt or the Springfield but just want to hear from those a lot smarter than me on the subject. I quick Google search revealed some companies I’ve never heard of and might want to avoid.

Budget needs to stay under 1K, and the gun won’t be modded at all, just something we can enjoy shooting together when we go to the range.

Thanks in advance gang!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you're looking for a 1911 in the classic WW2 era pattern both Colt and Springfield makes close enough versions. Colt has it's series 70 line and SA has the Mil spec line. There are others of course but I only have experience with those two.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    If you're looking for a 1911 in the classic WW2 era pattern both Colt and Springfield makes close enough versions. Colt has it's series 70 line and SA has the Mil spec line. There are others of course but I only have experience with those two.
    Thanks for the quick reply,

Of those two do you have a preference?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I like Colt but the SA has a great warranty. All have worked. Both my Springfield 1911's needed warranty work but SA did it no questions asked and rather quickly too. I would not hesitate to buy either depending on what features I valued.

Feedback Score
    The Springfield Mil-spec is kind of a sleeper in the 1911 game. A lot of bang for the buck and great warranty if needed.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast