Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any C&R Collectors?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    C&R would be a dangerous path for me. Like add a safe dangerous! The Mosin and K98 above are seriously cool.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eightmillimeter View Post
    My first gun was a Yugo Mauser M48 in unissued condition. Garands are just f-ing awesome and patriotic as hell. M1917’s with good condition bores shoot as good or better than some guns made today. You haven’t lived unless you’ve shot a Mauser 98 long rifle in a soft caliber like 7x57 or 7.65, Remington 1903’s built before the A3 was designed are a special kind of incredible, and milsurp bayonets in general are just plain cool.

So yeah, the whole C&R thing is a good rabbit hole to explore.

Oh, and when the CMP runs out of Garands, which they absolutely will within the next decade, the prices will double overnight and triple in 5 years, so if you’re on the fence, now is the time.
    Last I heard, the CMP was getting 60,000+ rifles from the Phillipines..supposedly some '03's and '03A3's in there as well, I got mine (2M1's and a '03, and a '03A3 when prices were reasonable)..$400 each for the '03, and'03A3 $500 for the M1's (both service grade) I don't think they're going to run out any time soon, 60,000 rifles is alot to get rid of.. especially if they keep jacking the prices up..
    Last edited by ralph; 10-07-18 at 11:29.
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Last I heard, the CMP was getting 60,000+ rifles from the Phillipines..supposedly some '03's and '03A3's in there as well, I got mine (2M1's and a '03, and a '03A3 when prices were reasonable)..$400 each for the '03, and'03A3 $500 for the M1's (both service grade) I don't think they're going to run out any time soon, 60,000 rifles is alot to get rid of.. especially if they keep jacking the prices up..
    From my old volunteer days I have pictures on an old phone of 53’ Fedex trailers leaving daily full to the brim of rifles, 60k is maybe enough for 2-3 years of mail order tops.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eightmillimeter View Post
    From my old volunteer days I have pictures on an old phone of 53’ Fedex trailers leaving daily full to the brim of rifles, 60k is maybe enough for 2-3 years of mail order tops.
    I don'nt know..I've been hearing this "the CMP is gonna run outta rifles" BS for years.. ever since I bought mine, about 20yrs ago...They haven't ran out yet..And with the price of a service grade over $700, they're not the bargains they once were.. At some point, everyone who wanted one will have bought one, the market gets saturated, and sales will slow down, increase the prices, and sales slow that much faster..

Something else that bothers me, Is the way they chose to sell 1911's, you send your name in, and if you're one of the lucky few who's name gets picked out of the hat, you'll get your choice of what grade you want.. this is laughable.You're still buying sight unseen, and if you opt for a service grade, you'll be shelling out a little over a $1000..Frankly, for that kind of money, I want to see it first..

Besides, you and I both know when they get shipments of 1911's in, the CMP is going to go thru them with a fine tooth comb, looking for WWI,WWII, Colts that are correct, any unissued, unfired, 1911's, as well as any Ithaca's, U.S.&S. Singers. Those will go right to the auction. So, what's that leave the buyer? The rebuilt mixmasters, and the Rem-Rands.. While alot of people will get decent pistols, I think there's going to be more that a few who will be dissapointed... If someone wants a 1911 I'd just take that that $1000 you'd spend, and go buy a new Colt 70 series..you'd have a real Colt, made from much better steel, that you would'nt be afraid to shoot, because it might lose it's value or the you might break an orginial part..

Everyone that I've talked to, expressed dissapointment when the CMP announced this lottery system, and the prices, If one just had to have a WWII 1911, you'd be better off going to a gun show, at least you could look at it, and may be able to swing a better deal, just saying.. Sales on the 1911's are going to be slow until they shit-can the lottery system, and ship pistols to the stores, and let people see what they'fe getting for the money..

When the CMP changed directors, things changed, and I'm not sure for the better..
    Last edited by ralph; 10-08-18 at 09:56.
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    I don'nt know..I've been hearing this "the CMP is gonna run outta rifles" BS for years.. ever since I bought mine, about 20yrs ago...They haven't ran out yet..And with the price of a service grade over $700, they're not the bargains they once were.. At some point, everyone who wanted one will have bought one, the market gets saturated, and sales will slow down, increase the prices, and sales slow that much faster..

Something else that bothers me, Is the way they chose to sell 1911's, you send your name in, and if you're one of the lucky few who's name gets picked out of the hat, you'll get your choice of what grade you want.. this is laughable.You're still buying sight unseen, and if you opt for a service grade, you'll be shelling out a little over a $1000..Frankly, for that kind of money, I want to see it first..

Besides, you and I both know when they get shipments of 1911's in, the CMP is going to go thru them with a fine tooth comb, looking for WWI,WWII, Colts that are correct, any unissued, unfired, 1911's, as well as any Ithaca's, U.S.&S. Singers. Those will go right to the auction. So, what's that leave the buyer? The rebuilt mixmasters, and the Rem-Rands.. While alot of people will get decent pistols, I think there's going to be more that a few who will be dissapointed... If someone wants a 1911 I'd just take that that $1000 you'd spend, and go buy a new Colt 70 series..you'd have a real Colt, made from much better steel, that you would'nt be afraid to shoot, because it might lose it's value or the you might break an orginial part..

Everyone that I've talked to, expressed dissapointment when the CMP announced this lottery system, and the prices, If one just had to have a WWII 1911, you'd be better off going to a gun show, at least you could look at it, and may be able to swing a better deal, just saying.. Sales on the 1911's are going to be slow until they shit-can the lottery system, and ship pistols to the stores, and let people see what they'fe getting for the money..

When the CMP changed directors, things changed, and I'm not sure for the better..
    Totally disagree. When was the last show you saw a legit non-import USGI Garand for under 1200 bucks? I don't ever see legit non-import USGI 1911's for under 1500 bucks either, and most are pushing 2 grand and up. 750 bucks for a service grade Garand is still a damn good buy IMHO. Sure Johnson hasn't been ashamed to ramp up the pricing, but then again the CMP's job isn't to make it super cheap for the flippers to part out Garands or the correctors to correct Garands to make it cheaper and easier on them to make them worth more money either.

Just like everything else, the price of rice in China goes up. My first service grade (that I still own by the way) cost me 630 bucks shipped in 2010. Now we're approaching the end of 2018 and people are bitching about a service grade costing 750 bucks and a field grade costing 650 bucks. Give me a break.

As for the 1911 lottery, this isn't the first time a lottery has been done. IMHO that it's as fair as it can be for the limited number of 1911's available. I sent in an order, and if I don't get one on this go around all I can do is hope that I get one on the next release if there is one. Yes, I will be keeping my place in line. CMP provenance is not a bad thing, and I'll be they'll command a premium when they hit the open market. Sure they'll be USGI mixmasters, but being legit USGI rearsenals won't hurt their value one bit.

I still get cracked up with all the outrage of having to furnish an FFL to transfer a 1911 to. It's no different than buying a gun off this forum or on Gunbroker. Congress mandated they only be transferred to 01, 02 and 07 FFL's and people lost their mind and blamed the CMP. Sure I'd like to use my 03 C&R for one of them. The CMP didn't make the rules, Congress did. All of us that participate in the lottery have to follow them. No big deal. I guess some people like making a mountain out of a mole hill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    If split crotch panties are what it takes to get your wife to exercise, wouldn't that be a good thing?

Feedback Score
    I wouldn't mind getting a M1 Garand, M1 Carbine or a M14. My son's been looking at Mosin Nagant's and old German Mauser's.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatEgan View Post
    Almost forgot:
    Here's one you probably haven't seen before. This is a Polish wz.91/98/26 (Google that...) Mosin-Nagant built on a captured Russian Imperial receiver from 1895. These were short rifles chambered in 7.92X57mm (8mm Mauser) and were extensively worked over by the Poles. This one was built in Lwow, and is 100% matching. This fell into German hands at some point after September 1939 and they blued the bolt in their characteristic manner. It has been 'duffel cut,' indicating capture by a GI before it was sent home to the US. These are wicked rare, especially in all-matching condition, and the ones that show German use are even harder to find.

Pat
    I've never seen or heard of these before - so thanks for that! How's it shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by RazorBurn View Post
    The center piece of my collection is an all matching down to the wood GI bring back AX 41 K98k Mauser. I traded a new in the box Colt 1911 Commander for it several years ago. I did add the front sight hood to it and the sling is a repro.

I traded a Colt Officers ACP 1911 for this DCM Winchester M1 Carbine with paper work a few years ago. Couldn't pass it up either.
    You made out like a bandit on both. Great finds!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYH1 View Post
    I wouldn't mind getting a M1 Garand, M1 Carbine or a M14. My son's been looking at Mosin Nagant's and old German Mauser's.

NYH1.
    He should do a lot of research on Mausers to make sure he doesn't get hosed. There are a lot more people that can spot the good and the bad on a Garand than Mausers and guys have been taking advantage of that. Even Russian captures have gone up hundreds over the last couple of years.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYH1 View Post

NYH1.
    A Garand would be the top of my list. Such an iconic rifle.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance435 View Post
    He should do a lot of research on Mausers to make sure he doesn't get hosed. There are a lot more people that can spot the good and the bad on a Garand than Mausers and guys have been taking advantage of that. Even Russian captures have gone up hundreds over the last couple of years.
    I highly recommend the K98k forum for Mausers. A great bunch of guys with some real experts on there who aren't afraid to help. I never realized how rampant faking was until I picked up my Mauser. I vetted it on the K98k forum myself when I was looking at trading for it.

http://www.k98kforum.com/forum.php

I passed on a couple of Russian Capture Mausers when I first started collecting for 300 bucks as I was limited in money and safe space. I haven't been doing this a super long time as I didn't have the discretionary money, but even I have seen significant change in the past ten years that I've been earnestly collecting. Even Mosin's have tripled in price since I got into collecting.
    Last edited by RazorBurn; 10-08-18 at 13:23.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    If split crotch panties are what it takes to get your wife to exercise, wouldn't that be a good thing?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast