Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any C&R Collectors?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    [QUOTE=sundance435;2665336]I've never seen or heard of these before - so thanks for that! How's it shoot?

I don't/won't shoot this one, they're too damn rare. This is an investment piece. I did well on it when I bought it and they've done nothing but rise in price. Even the extractor is serial numbered.

I have other Mosins to shoot, along with lots of rifles in 8mm Mauser, so I'm not missing out on that.
    Where violence is the local language, be fluent.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    [QUOTE=PatEgan;2665351]
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance435 View Post
    I've never seen or heard of these before - so thanks for that! How's it shoot?

I don't/won't shoot this one, they're too damn rare. This is an investment piece. I did well on it when I bought it and they've done nothing but rise in price. Even the extractor is serial numbered.

I have other Mosins to shoot, along with lots of rifles in 8mm Mauser, so I'm not missing out on that.
    Can't blame you for that. At my (early) stage of collecting, I'm buying collectible shooters; later I'll get into the more obscure. Everything I've bought so far is a nice example of whatever it is, but nothing particularly rare about any of them. "Rarest" thus far for me are a 1950 (last year) Long Branch No. 1* Mk 4 and a very late mostly correct SA M1 (not rebuilt), which aren't really that rare at all.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Sounds like it would actually be a No.4 Mk.1*. They're outstanding battle rifles, and both of mine (Savage and Long Branch) are outstanding shooters.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorBurn View Post
    Totally disagree. When was the last show you saw a legit non-import USGI Garand for under 1200 bucks? I don't ever see legit non-import USGI 1911's for under 1500 bucks either, and most are pushing 2 grand and up. 750 bucks for a service grade Garand is still a damn good buy IMHO. Sure Johnson hasn't been ashamed to ramp up the pricing, but then again the CMP's job isn't to make it super cheap for the flippers to part out Garands or the correctors to correct Garands to make it cheaper and easier on them to make them worth more money either.

Just like everything else, the price of rice in China goes up. My first service grade (that I still own by the way) cost me 630 bucks shipped in 2010. Now we're approaching the end of 2018 and people are bitching about a service grade costing 750 bucks and a field grade costing 650 bucks. Give me a break.

As for the 1911 lottery, this isn't the first time a lottery has been done. IMHO that it's as fair as it can be for the limited number of 1911's available. I sent in an order, and if I don't get one on this go around all I can do is hope that I get one on the next release if there is one. Yes, I will be keeping my place in line. CMP provenance is not a bad thing, and I'll be they'll command a premium when they hit the open market. Sure they'll be USGI mixmasters, but being legit USGI rearsenals won't hurt their value one bit.

I still get cracked up with all the outrage of having to furnish an FFL to transfer a 1911 to. It's no different than buying a gun off this forum or on Gunbroker. Congress mandated they only be transferred to 01, 02 and 07 FFL's and people lost their mind and blamed the CMP. Sure I'd like to use my 03 C&R for one of them. The CMP didn't make the rules, Congress did. All of us that participate in the lottery have to follow them. No big deal. I guess some people like making a mountain out of a mole hill.
    I don't know what shows you're going to but the last one I went to, there were several M1's(CMP rifles, still in CMP shipping box) going between $900-1000, granted, they were'nt exactly service grades,(they were, "experienced"rifles) but I did'nt see anybody banging the door down to buy them either, A friend of mine bought one at a estate auction, and when I looked at it, it was a match rifle, it was an older gun the park on the barrel and receiver matched, (had a heavier profile barrel)so that told me they had been together probably from the day it was built, stock had been bedded, by someone who knew what they were doing, the gas tube had been unitized, and it had 1/2" click sights, he gave $850 for it, no box, no papers,so it's history is pretty much unknown.. I guess nobody in the crowd knew what it really was, and passed on it.. and, as far as 1911's go, about a year or so ago,a friend of mine found a private deal on a Rem-Rand, that was as far as we could tell, was all correct..(he brought it home and we looked it over) and in nice shape, guy wanted $900..If I would've had a spare $900 I probably would've bought it, and flipped to the fools who would pay $1500..

My point is, deals are out there, you just have to shop around, and know what you're looking at, and be prepared to buy on the spot.One other thing, the gun shows are the last place you'll find a bargain. And while you may have seen these big prices on M1's and on 1911's at the gun shows, the real question is, did they sell them at that price, or did they pack them up at the end of the show, to try to find a sucker at the next show? If I had to guess, they packed them up.. I don't know how many shows I've been to, where you see the same guys trying to sell the exact same shit for the exact same outrageous price, and they wonder why nobody buys anything from them.Either they really don't want to sell,
    Or, they're too stupid and stubborn to figure out they're overpriced.. Limited number of 1911's? Good lord man, the Army is sitting on 100,000 of them! The problem is the gov't is dribbling them out at 8000 a year.. The big fear amoung collectors was, and still is, if enough of these hit the market, prices would nose dive, and they could no longer charge premium prices..If you think they're a deal, go for it.. Me, I'll pass..I already have one 1911 I don't shoot, I don't need another.. As far as the CMP and it' policys go, we'll just have to disagree.. I've got a couple of M1's and a '03, and a '03A3. And I paid alot less than you did..I really don't need anything else from them. I'm not angry at the CMP, just dissapointed..I know they jacked the prices to screw the flippers, if they were worried about flipping, they never should have raised the yearly allotment where one could buy, up to 12 rifles a year, when they did that, they literally encouraged flipping..So, that's on them..Wanna put a crimp on flipping? Don't raise the prices, Cut the allotment to 2-3 rifles a year... That, by itself won't stop flipping, but it would put a serious crimp on it..
    Last edited by ralph; 10-08-18 at 18:44.
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    ...I know they jacked the prices to screw the flippers, if they were worried about flipping, they never should have raised the yearly allotment where one could buy, up to 12 rifles a year, when they did that, they literally encouraged flipping..So, that's on them..Wanna put a crimp on flipping? Don't raise the prices, Cut the allotment to 2-3 rifles a year... That, by itself won't stop flipping, but it would put a serious crimp on it..
    I don't disagree with you on that at all. I liked the one per year buying limit, and the wailing and knashing of teeth was pretty entertaining too.

You're right about not finding great deals most of the time at gun shows. Most of my good scores have come from the local trading journal, and local pawn shops. I've picked up a couple of good deals at shows, but they're few and far between. Virtually no one around here likes old rifles or pistols though. Several shops text and call me as soon as they get something in that they know I'm interested in. Today I picked up a 1941 VKT M91 Mosin Nagant. It's the first VKT I've ever seen out in the wild. Barrel, receiver and bolt match, but the floor plate has been scrubbed and the butt plate doesn't match. Still a nice score for $275.00 out the door though.

I've been avoiding buying long guns the past year or so because my safe it stuffed, but I just couldn't pass this one up. I'm going to buy another safe, but I just haven't found what I'm looking for yet locally.

I picked up an all matching including magazine non import 1938 Tula TT-33 at a local shop for $350.00 out the door a few years back. Yes, that's hands down been my best score ever. I ended up selling it for $1,500.00 to pay for my AR-10. I had a couple of Romanian TT-C Tokarev's, and couldn't talk myself into keeping it. I still have a twinge of guilt for selling that one.

Last edited by RazorBurn; 10-08-18 at 19:15.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    If split crotch panties are what it takes to get your wife to exercise, wouldn't that be a good thing?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatEgan View Post
    Can't blame you for that. At my (early) stage of collecting, I'm buying collectible shooters; later I'll get into the more obscure. Everything I've bought so far is a nice example of whatever it is, but nothing particularly rare about any of them. "Rarest" thus far for me are a 1950 (last year) Long Branch No. 1* Mk 4 and a very late mostly correct SA M1 (not rebuilt), which aren't really that rare at all.
    My 1942 Savage, 1950 Long Branch, 1915 Lithgow are some of my favorite rifles. My Long Branch looks like it just came out of the arsenal. All three of these were pawn shop pick ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    If split crotch panties are what it takes to get your wife to exercise, wouldn't that be a good thing?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Damn, no pawn shops around here have those kind of finds. Whats the details on the middle rifle? I’m not familiar with it at all.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Nice Enfields!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatEgan View Post
    Sounds like it would actually be a No.4 Mk.1*. They're outstanding battle rifles, and both of mine (Savage and Long Branch) are outstanding shooters.
    Correct, flipped them by mistake.

My 1942 Savage, 1950 Long Branch, 1915 Lithgow are some of my favorite rifles. My Long Branch looks like it just came out of the arsenal. All three of these were pawn shop pick ups.
    I have a '41 Lithgow that I love, too. Somewhere down the line, I'll be getting into WWI stuff.

As far as shops and shows, there are very few shops around here in the first place and it's feast or famine on C&R stuff. Every once in a while someone will bring in a handful of old guns, but that doesn't happen often. Never found any great deals at shows, but I go to the bigger ones looking for harder to find items, fully expecting to pay a little more for them. Sometimes you'll find a guy wandering around with something that's not a bad deal, but, again, not super common. I'm heading to Wanenmacher's - Tulsa in November to look for some of the harder to find French stuff I've been looking for. Also in the market for a 1917 rifle and a Lebel. Wouldn't pass on a decent 1911A1 or M1 carbine, either.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't disagree with you on that at all. I liked the one per year buying limit, and the wailing and knashing of teeth was pretty entertaining too.

You're right about not finding great deals most of the time at gun shows. Most of my good scores have come from the local trading journal, and local pawn shops. I've picked up a couple of good deals at shows, but they're few and far between. Virtually no one around here likes old rifles or pistols though. Several shops text and call me as soon as they get something in that they know I'm interested in. Today I picked up a 1941 VKT M91 Mosin Nagant. It's the first VKT I've ever seen out in the wild. Barrel, receiver and bolt match, but the floor plate has been scrubbed and the butt plate doesn't match. Still a nice score for $275.00 out the door though.

I've been avoiding buying long guns the past year or so because my safe it stuffed, but I just couldn't pass this one up. I'm going to buy another safe, but I just haven't found what I'm looking for yet locally.

I picked up an all matching including magazine non import 1938 Tula TT-33 at a local shop for $350.00 out the door a few years back. Yes, that's hands down been my best score ever. I ended up selling it for $1,500.00 to pay for my AR-10. I had a couple of Romanian TT-C Tokarev's, and couldn't talk myself into keeping it. I still have a twinge of guilt for selling that one.

Sounds like you made the same mistake I did buying safes, especially if you have a C&R, I bought too small for the first safe, it's nice, at my first house, it fit perfectly in a closet in the spare bedroom. It got full quick, and I ended up buying a larger safe,not long after.. I still have both of them, and when we moved to a larger house, I found room for it in a larger closet..It too, got full not so much with rifles, but handguns..I recently solved that problem..A large dept store in town was going out of business, I noticed on this poster they had up they were selling all the office equiptment, including the store safe..It's perfect for handguns, 38"x25"x26" it weighs 620lbs.. made by Gardall Safe.Has a 2hr fire rating at 1800deg. I gave them $320 for it with the understanding I had to move it. A friend of my wife, her husband does local/long distance moving..he moved it for me for the friends/family price...$50.. Actually, it was a pretty easy move, took about 25minutes, from wheeling it out of the store to getting it in the house.. Understand about selling the 1938 Tula..but, it's just like a late, good friend of mine who ran a gunshop for years, told me once, "you can't keep'em all" I really despise seeing those Tok's with a bastardised saftey put on them, they're ruined, in my book..
    Last edited by ralph; 10-08-18 at 21:12.
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast