Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does my build look okay?

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan040 View Post
    Why is that? Are they more prone to failure?
    Adjustable gas blocks tend to corrode and thus fail. What’s more is they aren’t necessary to get a gun running properly unless you are running a garbage barrel and BCG.

WMD guns is still trying to ride off the old thinking that you have to clean an AR every time you so much as think about shooting. Fact is you can go thousands of rounds between cleanings if you properly lube and even then it’s not that big of a deal to clean a BCG. Besides, their coating flakes off.
    a former meatpuppet.

http://sixty-six.org

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by panzerr View Post
    Adjustable gas blocks tend to corrode and thus fail. What’s more is they aren’t necessary to get a gun running properly unless you are running a garbage barrel and BCG.

WMD guns is still trying to ride off the old thinking that you have to clean an AR every time you so much as think about shooting. Fact is you can go thousands of rounds between cleanings if you properly lube and even then it’s not that big of a deal to clean a BCG. Besides, their coating flakes off.
    I've heard of the coating having a lot of issues in the BCG's produced from 2012-2013, but I think they're doing better with them now. I guess time will tell. I need a spare BCG anyway, it's just something that you should have available.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Does my build look okay?
    How can we tell if we can't see it?

319218437.gif

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    One thing I have learned throughout my life is when you ask for an honest critique, the feedback you receive won't be exactly what you expect.

I've also learned that you never ever ask about something after you purchase it.

Andy

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Echoing to what IG said:

NiB is not a very good BCG coating, it wear properties arent great, it tends to hold carbon and more often than not the people doing it screw it up.

Adjustable gas blocks add needless complexity and another failure point to gun. Dont use one if you dont need one.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Why is that? Are they more prone to failure?
    All of this stuff has already been covered here. If you search past threads, you’ll get all the answers you need. And you could’ve done that before buying a single part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Really? Why? That's the opposite of what I've heard up until now, reasoning being that it has less friction, cleans easier, and requires less lube and cleaning before failure.
    I have a Fail Zero carrier with whatever coating they use. It looks cool, but it doesn't do anything a parked carrier doesn't.

Carriers float inside the upper. A coating that reduces friction doesn't do anything for surfaces that don't come in contact with anything. Take a look at any parked carrier with a lot of rounds on it and you'll see minimal rub marks on it or inside the upper it rides in. Most of the friction I feel when racking the charging handle comes from the charging handle itself.

The most important place to lube your AR action is where the bolt rides inside the carrier. A couple of drops of lube through the exhaust port will keep it running smoothly. Fouling does build up on the outside of the carrier, but as the carrier floats in the upper, clearances are actually generous. It takes a lot of build up to start slowing down the carrier enough to impede function. If it reaches that point, just give your AR a good shot of lube in the ejection port or remove the carrier and give it a quick wipe down, then a shot of lube. What the lube does here is wash away the schmootz.

If you are going to use an adjustable gas block, the SLR is a better choice. However, the adjustable gas block only helps if the gas port of the barrel is over-sized. It does nothing for barrels with the proper diameter (or undersized) gas port.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 10-07-18 at 13:56.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    ^in addition to that, NiB morphology is horrible for wear parts, it holds stuff(like carbon), and seems prone to propagating cracks.

If you bought it, run it, just keep an eye in the bolt lugs so you can replace it before they shear off.

As far as “easy to clean”, I do that once per year and spend about 10 minutes on the bcg, not really a selling point.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 10-07-18 at 15:54.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    NiB is all hype, and does little to actually improve the function of your weapon, and is no easier to clean than standard phosphate finishes. If your barrel has the correct port size, there is no need for an adjustable gas block. Sounds like you bought a bunch of parts to solve issues that don't exist, which is fine as you are learning. Next time, take the time to research before making purchases. The guys at the gun counter will say anything to get you to buy what's on their shelf right now, so take their advice with a grain of salt.

Feedback Score
    The most important components of my recent (and first) AR build:

WMD Guns NiBx full auto weight BCG
    Brownells BTAC 16" Mid-length SOCOM barrel (0.075" gas port)
    POF Dictator 9-position Adjustable Gas Block
    Geissele Super 42 Braided Buffer Spring w/ H1 (3.8oz) buffer

I haven't gotten to do much testing with it beyond firing a few rounds to get the gas block adjusted to the proper setting to make it cycle correctly (had to take it 7 clicks out). So far I like how it shoots and I seem to have worked through the reliability issues (it wasn't picking up new rounds for a little while, even when I manually cycled it?). I have fairly limited experience with AR-15's, did I mismatch anything here? Any glaring issue? What about anything that isn't an issue but might be suboptimal?

Goal for this build was a jack-of-all trades plinking/defense gun, and I may use it in a 3 gun match at some point down the road. I wanted a softer recoil impulse/less muzzle rise with minimal gas in my face, hence the mid-length gas system and upgraded buffer spring. I want it to be able to cycle very quickly and reliably. But, I also want to be sure that it can handle all types of different ammo (adjustable gas block helps). The thing I'm most unsure about is what weight buffer I should have, given the gas port size, BCG weight, and the spring.
    Probably should've asked before you got your parts.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast