Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does my build look okay?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan040 View Post
    The most important components of my recent (and first) AR build:

WMD Guns NiBx full auto weight BCG
    Brownells BTAC 16" Mid-length SOCOM barrel (0.075" gas port)
    POF Dictator 9-position Adjustable Gas Block
    Geissele Super 42 Braided Buffer Spring w/ H1 (3.8oz) buffer

I haven't gotten to do much testing with it beyond firing a few rounds to get the gas block adjusted to the proper setting to make it cycle correctly (had to take it 7 clicks out). So far I like how it shoots and I seem to have worked through the reliability issues (it wasn't picking up new rounds for a little while, even when I manually cycled it?). I have fairly limited experience with AR-15's, did I mismatch anything here? Any glaring issue? What about anything that isn't an issue but might be suboptimal?

Goal for this build was a jack-of-all trades plinking/defense gun, and I may use it in a 3 gun match at some point down the road. I wanted a softer recoil impulse/less muzzle rise with minimal gas in my face, hence the mid-length gas system and upgraded buffer spring. I want it to be able to cycle very quickly and reliably. But, I also want to be sure that it can handle all types of different ammo (adjustable gas block helps). The thing I'm most unsure about is what weight buffer I should have, given the gas port size, BCG weight, and the spring.

Go buy a 16" SR-15

or

Get a Colt SBR and buy a Geissele/Colt exact clone 14.5" URGI upper from Geissele's website.
    Last edited by scottryan; 10-08-18 at 16:44.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’ll go against the grain here.

It’ll probably run, but might not be optimal in some ways, already mentioned. Some of the parts solve problems that don’t exist.

Shoot it, enjoy it, wear it out. Learn from the experience, and report back when stuff breaks or you have problems, so learning can occur.

Get a known reliable gun as a backup if you don’t already have one, and don’t tinker with it.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I came across my pic of my NiB bolt in a Chrome Carrier the other night. NiB sucks for firearms applications. Maybe it's good for some other realm. The bolt looks like phosphate compared to the carrier because NiB grabs and clings to carbon fouling like crazy.

I may post that pic if I think of it when I'm home.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I came across my pic of my NiB bolt in a Chrome Carrier the other night. NiB sucks for firearms applications. Maybe it's good for some other realm. The bolt looks like phosphate compared to the carrier because NiB grabs and clings to carbon fouling like crazy.

I may post that pic if I think of it when I'm home.
    I still have the microscope pics and can post them if there is interest.

Hexanes, toluene, and hot caustic (hours each in ultrasonic) did not remove the carbon.
    Acid did not degrade the coating, but nitric started disolving the steel from the inside (through the cracks).
    Disolving the Ni was the only way to get it silver again.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan040 View Post
    The most important components of my recent (and first) AR build:

WMD Guns NiBx full auto weight BCG
    Brownells BTAC 16" Mid-length SOCOM barrel (0.075" gas port)
    POF Dictator 9-position Adjustable Gas Block
    Geissele Super 42 Braided Buffer Spring w/ H1 (3.8oz) buffer

I haven't gotten to do much testing with it beyond firing a few rounds to get the gas block adjusted to the proper setting to make it cycle correctly (had to take it 7 clicks out). So far I like how it shoots and I seem to have worked through the reliability issues (it wasn't picking up new rounds for a little while, even when I manually cycled it?). I have fairly limited experience with AR-15's, did I mismatch anything here? Any glaring issue? What about anything that isn't an issue but might be suboptimal?

Goal for this build was a jack-of-all trades plinking/defense gun, and I may use it in a 3 gun match at some point down the road. I wanted a softer recoil impulse/less muzzle rise with minimal gas in my face, hence the mid-length gas system and upgraded buffer spring. I want it to be able to cycle very quickly and reliably. But, I also want to be sure that it can handle all types of different ammo (adjustable gas block helps). The thing I'm most unsure about is what weight buffer I should have, given the gas port size, BCG weight, and the spring.
    You need to put this POS up for sale on one of those hillbilly gun trader pages on face book and use the money you recoup (if any) to buy a Colt 6920.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    You need to put this POS up for sale on one of those hillbilly gun trader pages on face book and use the money you recoup (if any) to buy a Colt 6920.
    +1, or BCM, LMT, Noveske, Rainier Arms Mountain Upper, or Centurion Arms.
    If you're on a budget? At this point you'd be a much better off with Aero, Stag Arms, or even Palmetto (yes I said it).

OP, I'm sorry to break it to you. Your Brownell's barrel might be fine, but all other components are a dumpster fire put together which really do nothing for you or anyone on the market.

Here is a good reference video to watch only 2min, but well worth it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVXOj9Uc5pg

P.S.: don't feel bad. I also went through this stage and still have some aftermarket components (some run fine, most ended up in the trash) - I only regret wasted money and time, not the experience of playing with them.
    Last edited by alx01; 10-09-18 at 01:01.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Where the hell were all you guys back when I was getting beat up for my “I don’t like adjustable gas blocks because they introduce another point of failure.” discussion?? 🤨

Geesh!!!

OP - there is nothing wrong with a standard FA BCG in phosphate. It’s not like you have to clean it after every shooting session, or every other or.. etc etc.. My personal go-to is LMT FA BCG, but Colt, BCM and Toolcraft all make reliable, proven BCG’s.

Since you are new to M4C, (post count wise) I will give you some advice. When you ask to have a build critiqued or even a concept/idea critiqued, you’d better be have your big boy pants on because you will get straight answers from some people who care more about your weapon functioning correctly and reliability than they do your feelings. And they know what they are talking about .

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Where the hell were all you guys back when I was getting beat up for my “I don’t like adjustable gas blocks because they introduce another point of failure.” discussion?? ��

Geesh!!!
    I still want to hear about the failures you mentioned.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by alx01 View Post
    +1, or BCM, LMT, Noveske, Rainier Arms Mountain Upper, or Centurion Arms.
    If you're on a budget? At this point you'd be a much better off with Aero, Stag Arms, or even Palmetto (yes I said it).

OP, I'm sorry to break it to you. Your Brownell's barrel might be fine, but all other components are a dumpster fire put together which really do nothing for you or anyone on the market.

Here is a good reference video to watch only 2min, but well worth it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVXOj9Uc5pg

P.S.: don't feel bad. I also went through this stage and still have some aftermarket components (some run fine, most ended up in the trash) - I only regret wasted money and time, not the experience of playing with them.
    This is a good video. This should be in our “New to AR’s” section. Jerry really hits on some good points.

You know it really is a shame that guys don’t come here before they build or buy and spend 3 months educating themselves and then asking questions before they put an AR together or buy one. I don’t automatically default to the “buy a 6920” message, BCM or even LMT. I believe with the right guidance that a first time AR owner can build a reliable, accurate rifle. I’ve never bought a complete AR, I did buy a complete upper once though (LMT MWS). My point is with a mentor to help the person avoid the hairless novelties a solid weapon can be built. Thanks for posting up the vid of Jerry.

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I still want to hear about the failures you mentioned.
    Mark,
    I did reply to you and Nocalsocal's comments. Link below:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...35#post2662935
    ~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast