Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vortex Razor HD II-E vs non-E

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Vortex Razor HD II-E vs non-E

Is the E-model just a weight reduction? Any reason to choose the non-E?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    Is the E-model just a weight reduction? Any reason to choose the non-E?

Yes and price. Older version can be found for under $1k pretty easily.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Yes and price. Older version can be found for under $1k pretty easily.
    Looking on Midway, equivalent versions of each are identically priced.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    There are places liquidating the older version, I think Euro Optic had them for $950 last week. They're also often around that price if you're up for buying used on TOS.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I have both and you can’t notice the weight difference. Just get whatever is cheaper.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Durability? I guess it’s too early to tell.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Durability? I guess it’s too early to tell.
    Isn’t supposed to be any different, they only lightened the caps for the turrets or something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Non-sale prices at Midway are MSRP or MAP... although they sometimes have good deals on sale. If you watch their "clearance optics" you may periodically see the 1-6x Razor there, although probably not as cheap as the Euro Optic deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Isn’t supposed to be any different, they only lightened the caps for the turrets or something like that.
    Comprehensive weight reduction. It sounds like it was mostly in the internal turret mechanism (not the caps, which were already lightweight aluminum). Weight no object the internal adjustment mechanism is made from solid brass. Most of the Razor scopes, not only the 1-6x, have been quite heavy and they obviously weren't focused on weight in the initial designs. The gen2 4-27x is a notable brick at 3 pounds. For the 1-6x -E model, I think Vortex specified some mix of lightening holes and/or aluminum. Logically those changes must have some effect on strength, but the -E model is likely still strong for any reasonable use, and I'll bet other parts of the scope would fail before the modified parts. If I were buying a 1-6x Razor I would absolutely get the -E model at the same price, or even for $100-200 more than the original brick model.

OP: while the Razor is a very good scope, IMHO there are as good or better options with less weight, and often less money. And if price is no object I'd take a serious look at the relatively new 1-8x scopes from Nightforce.
    Last edited by SomeOtherGuy; 10-09-18 at 12:11.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Vortex Razor HD II-E vs non-E

Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    Non-sale prices at Midway are MSRP or MAP... although they sometimes have good deals on sale. If you watch their "clearance optics" you may periodically see the 1-6x Razor there, although probably not as cheap as the Euro Optic deal.

Comprehensive weight reduction. It sounds like it was mostly in the internal turret mechanism (not the caps, which were already lightweight aluminum). Weight no object the internal adjustment mechanism is made from solid brass. Most of the Razor scopes, not only the 1-6x, have been quite heavy and they obviously weren't focused on weight in the initial designs. The gen2 4-27x is a notable brick at 3 pounds. For the 1-6x -E model, I think Vortex specified some mix of lightening holes and/or aluminum. Logically those changes must have some effect on strength, but the -E model is likely still strong for any reasonable use, and I'll bet other parts of the scope would fail before the modified parts. If I were buying a 1-6x Razor I would absolutely get the -E model at the same price, or even for $100-200 more than the original brick model.

OP: while the Razor is a very good scope, IMHO there are as good or better options with less weight, and often less money. And if price is no object I'd take a serious look at the relatively new 1-8x scopes from Nightforce.
    Thanks, turrets make more sense than the caps themselves. What would you say is as good or better at the same or less price? Usually I only see the razors compared to items that are more expensive like the Khales or Swaro. And most people seem to agree that if performance at 1x is important, the Razor is better than even the NF, unless you step it up another $1k to the ATACR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    If you are buying a LPVO for predominantly low-power/1x performance the NX8 should be last on your list. The FFP correction and short housing make it one of the, if not THE tightest and most sensitive eye-boxes of all the LPVO. Now if you mainly plan on shooting mid/extended range and want the ability to shoot up close, then sure the NX8 is a great choice.

The ATACR is apparently not as bad due to size and tube diameter but I’ve never used one so I can’t comment. Although its worth mentioning the ATACR is not as bright as the NX8 according to multiple owners over on snipers hide. But to be fair the Nx8 is by and large the brightest LPVO I’ve ever used, just sucks the 1x is so poor compared to other daylight bright lpvo’s.

The following are lpvo’s that I have experience with that excelled at 1x performance. Obviously features/edge to edge clarity go up with price points.
    Steiner P4Xi
    Razor 1-6 (weight difference is not noticeable, I have both...get whatever’s cheaper)
    Khales k16i
    Zwaro Z6i

I have no experience with, but according to others these excell at 1x as well.
    Nightforce ATACR
    S&B short dots

Quick clip comparing K16i and NX8 eye boxes. Obviously the K16i is wider but take note of how the NX8 is like an on/off switch.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=a3hfcRqlFxw
    Last edited by sidewaysil80; 10-09-18 at 14:25.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast