Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brown follower GI mags

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Brown follower GI mags

Someone told me that the GI mags with brown followers have the spring connected in a different spot than the older green and black ones. They said that it was to prevent the mag body from splitting, with the implication that the metal bodies could last indefinitely. Just wondering if that's true and if it actually worked.

TLDR, will brown follower mags last longer than previous gen GI mags?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    Someone told me that the GI mags with brown followers have the spring connected in a different spot than the older green and black ones. They said that it was to prevent the mag body from splitting, with the implication that the metal bodies could last indefinitely. Just wondering if that's true and if it actually worked.

TLDR, will brown follower mags last longer than previous gen GI mags?
    I've seen a bunch of split PMAGs, and a lot of bent lip USGI mags, but not the reverse.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I've seen a bunch of split PMAGs, and a lot of bent lip USGI mags, but not the reverse.
    Yea the GI mags will eventually pop the welds and separate, and supposedly, allegedly, according to this person...the tan ones won't do that because they moved the point where the spring connects to the follower and this somehow removed the stress on the spine.

Whether that's true or not I have no idea. Figured someone here might know.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

This is what I’m talking about. There is a difference, just not sure why. Could be anti tilt, but would be cool if it is true that it extends mag life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have never heard that but I’ve been using tan follower mags off and on since ‘09 and have zero issues with them. They’re damn good mags.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    I have never heard that but I’ve been using tan follower mags off and on since ‘09 and have zero issues with them. They’re damn good mags.
    Agreed. I scored some Colt marked Okay contract ones and they’re gtg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    If I recall right Bartocci in his mags video says not so great.....Maybe I remember wrong....
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    The reason why the spring attachment changed was to prevent putting old design springs in new magazines because the spring rate also changed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    The reason why the spring attachment changed was to prevent putting old design springs in new magazines because the spring rate also changed.
    That makes sense. So no increase in lifespan of the mag body itself?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    Can you provide any detailed technical information or personal thoughts on the changes?

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast