Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Single Edge Polygonal Rifling

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky5019 View Post
    I have a BCM BFH. I’ve looked at the Sionics. It’s a very nice barrel. My comparison was more about the SEP rifling as a new concept vs “the best suppressed only barrel”. I’m not looking for a new barrel per se. I’m moreover asking a comparative question of those with experience.

There has been much discussion and it has been well established that the Sionics RGP is an excellent barrel. It’s not the topic of discussion in this thread that’s why I didn’t mention it or put up a poll. I appreciate your recommendation of the Sionics barrel.

My question still stands for those with experience with SEP barrels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There really isn’t a lot out there on these still. Not sure if I posted it in this thread but I was heavily considering sending my upper to Triarc to get one of their barrels installed. I was doing all kinds of research but didn’t turn up a whole lot and almost none of it was quantitative. That being said, the few reviews I have seen indicated the barrels being around MOA and while I love BCM, their barrels are typically less accurate than many of their competitors like Colt and DD. Personally, I decided it wasn’t worth it since, like you, I already have a good barrel. If I was starting from scratch however, I’d be very tempted to try one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    There really isn’t a lot out there on these still. Not sure if I posted it in this thread but I was heavily considering sending my upper to Triarc to get one of their barrels installed. I was doing all kinds of research but didn’t turn up a whole lot and almost none of it was quantitative. That being said, the few reviews I have seen indicated the barrels being around MOA and while I love BCM, their barrels are typically less accurate than many of their competitors like Colt and DD. Personally, I decided it wasn’t worth it since, like you, I already have a good barrel. If I was starting from scratch however, I’d be very tempted to try one.

Kind of where I was but the concept is intriguing. My BFH 11.5 is a .gov profile and a touch heavy but the Triarc barrel is still a .750 gas block and a BCM STD ELWF (.626) is about the same weight as a Triarc; just over 1#. I’ll stick with my barrel at the moment and see how it does. I’m interested in any experience people have. Of note, they state the gas port of they’re suppressed barrel is 0.052”.

"An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky5019 View Post
    Kind of where I was but the concept is intriguing. My BFH 11.5 is a .gov profile and a touch heavy but the Triarc barrel is still a .750 gas block and a BCM STD ELWF (.626) is about the same weight as a Triarc; just over 1#. I’ll stick with my barrel at the moment and see how it does. I’m interested in any experience people have. Of note, they state the gas port of they’re suppressed barrel is 0.052”.

I don’t remember where I saw it but one review stated that the barrel was significantly heavier than advertised. On the site, their 14.5 is listed around 1.5 but their 13.9 is marked at 1.9 pounds IIRC. Seemed a little odd so I’m not sure how accurate their stated weights are.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I don’t remember where I saw it but one review stated that the barrel was significantly heavier than advertised. On the site, their 14.5 is listed around 1.5 but their 13.9 is marked at 1.9 pounds IIRC. Seemed a little odd so I’m not sure how accurate their stated weights are.

I called and he weighed one while I was on the phone and he came back with about 1.2#.

"An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    I have a Triarc 14.5 TSR S rifle. I can't officially say that is sub MOA, but what I can say is that it does shoot less than 1/2 inch groups at 50 yds, as that is my preferred zero.

Regardless, I think it is a very cost effective barrel when compared to others of its class. More importantly, it runs well both suppressed and unsuppressed without adjustment. It can be difficult at times finding barrels that aren't overgassed due to port sizing.

I can't comment specifically about barrel weight due to my build.

Hopefully this helps you in your decision.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’ll be able to ship Joeg26er some ammo to chrono this week, so we can get some velocities with known ammo.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    That was my review. Ordered June 18th. Received and emailed Triarc the following on June 25th - no answer to repeated emails on June 29th and through their site contact form either

"I am a bit disappointed that the weight stated on your website for the 12.5 is 1.37lbs
    Mine weighs 1.459 lbs and has no markings except for a tiny s and a 4 on the breech end

Is this weight an error with the barrel or does your site need correcting?"

I guess I'll call them and see if they want to swap me for the 12.5inch 1.2lb barrel? That would be nice...
    I weighed this with a scale that's accurate to 5grams and verified with multiple other parts so my scale is accurate

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GAST View Post
    I have a Triarc 14.5 TSR S rifle. I can't officially say that is sub MOA, but what I can say is that it does shoot less than 1/2 inch groups at 50 yds, as that is my preferred zero.

Regardless, I think it is a very cost effective barrel when compared to others of its class. More importantly, it runs well both suppressed and unsuppressed without adjustment. It can be difficult at times finding barrels that aren't overgassed due to port sizing.

I can't comment specifically about barrel weight due to my build.

Hopefully this helps you in your decision.
    Good info. It does. Thanks for posting it!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I tried velocity tests on a mid length TRIARC 12.5" AR-15 TRACK Barrel 2.0 with NP3 Barrel extension Chambered in 5.56mm
    Slr7 adjustable gas block
    Brownells lw nitride bcg
    Wolf gold 55gr From 2820-2850
    Sellier n Bellot 55gr light green box. 2980 to 2890
    IMI 55gr 2823-2750
    Tula steel case 55gr. 2780-2816
    In comparison on the same chronograph
    An hk 33 with 16” barrel ran about 50fps faster
    Maximum velocity was 3,000 with the green box S&B 55gr

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Molon’s testing put IMI 55gr 556 at 3000 fps with a colt 14.5” barrel. Cut 2 inches off and I bet the track barrel and the colt would be even at around 2800 fps for both.

Edit: Thank you for the testing. This is something that has been on my mind since I stumbled upon this thread.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast