Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Build - CMT Tactical, Project Dark Earth

Feedback Score

New Build - CMT Tactical, Project Dark Earth

This build started as a stripped upper/lower set I snagged a couple years ago to have as a spare. As many have discovered, stripped lowers have a way of becoming full on rifles. I saw a barrel I felt would be great to try, and then it went on from there, buying parts over time.

This rifle has no specific purpose other than trying new concepts and configurations. As an example, I've always avoided tape switches as they seem fraught with risk/failure. But to run the laser and light how I wanted, a tape switch seemed like the best option. This rifle won't be used on duty or anything, so I'm willing to accept some risk.

Since it's a "because I can" build, and I think black firearms represent a bygone era, I tried to buy as many parts as I could in FDE or some shade of tan. The upper/lower came anodized in Desert Bronze. The smaller parts were tougher to locate - Battle Arms Development has cerakoted safeties and even take down pins. Basically anything you see in FDE/tan/etc. is a factory finish.

I love the Magpul M-lok grip panels! Very grippy, light and easy to install. I bought some panels from Strike Industries, but they didn't have much purchase so I am using them on the top/bottom just to protect the handguard from impacts. I'm also hoping the panels on top might help with heat mirage.

As I mentioned, I'm experimenting a bit with this build, so in place of BUIS I decided to use a laser. There are some drawbacks at longer ranges. I also am going to have to spend more range time with it to see if there is too much weight at the muzzle. I might move the CQBL up to the handguard top rail closest to the upper receiver. That would of course necessitate relocating the tape switch for the light and either a second switch for the laser, or just using the button on the unit.

Shooting the gun is very pleasant and flat. It's quickly becoming my favorite rifle. I'm sure the A5 kit plays a role in that. I'm also going without a VFG for now. I typically prefer a stubby VFG to use as a handstop and barrier stop. I bought the Unity Tactical VFG hoping it would attach to the handguard, but it didn't. May readdress if they release an M-lok version. For now I'm doing without.

The Midwest Indistries handguard is crazy light! If I recall the KMR was a touch lighter but the MI has 5 built in QD sockets. Add a QD cup to a KMR and I believe the weight advantage goes to the MI.

I have 359 rounds through it so far with no issues or malfunctions. Hoping the weather allows me to shoot for groups this weekend. I have some fairly high expectations for the Rainier barrel.

The RMR is my first (3.25 MOA) and is taking some getting used to as far as the view. Too many years looking through tubes I suppose. If I end up loving it I may get the 1 MOA version and move this one to a pistol.

I'll update this thread as I shoot it more and will post 10 shot groups when I get them.

Parts are as follows:
    - CMT Tactical, billet upper/lower
    - Rainier Arms Medcon barrel, 416R (16")
    - Sionics NP3 BCG
    - Vltor A5 Receiver Extension Kit
    - B5 Bravo Stock
    - B5/Umbrella Corp Pistol Grip
    - BAD Ambi Safety
    - BAD Take down Pins
    - DSG Arms Forward Assist
    - Seekins Magazine Catch button
    - Seekins Bolt Catch
    - Geissele SD-C Trigger
    - AXTS Ambi Charging Handle
    - Strike Industries Plastic Dust Cover
    - Midwest Industries Lightweight M-lok Handguard (15")
    - Surefire X300U
    - Unity Tactical EXO
    - Magpul M-lok 45 degree pic rail
    - Surefire X300 tail switch
    - Surefire double pressure pad swtich
    - CQBL-1 visible/IR laser
    - Vortex flash hider
    - Bravo Company Gas block
    - Seekins Melonited gas tube
    - American Defense Mfg Optic Mount
    - Trijicon RMR Adjustable LED
    - VTAC Padded Sling
    - ALG Forged QD Sling Swivels
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Looks good man. I really like the different tan/coyote/bronzish colors.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If you don't mind sharing, what color is on the lower and upper assemblies? Is it anodizing or something akin to cerakote?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Great looking build man!

How are you liking the CQBL?

What kind of daylight viability are you getting with the visible laser?

Been considering one for my SBR but can't decide between this and an Aptial-c.

Lastly, does it obstruct tour view at all being mounted at 12 o'clock? I was thinking either 12 or 3 as I run my light at 11 o'clock...

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys! It's quickly becoming my favorite rifle. The upper and lower are anodized in "Desert Bronze" which was a run CMT Tactical did back in 2013. I haven't seen them release that color since. I prefer anodizing for the pure durability. Cerakote is good, and it is certainly more durable than rattle can... but anodizing is great and I wish more companies had more choices in colors.

The CQBL is nice and is smaller in person than it appeared to me in photos. I don't have NODS so I don't even know if the IR laser works - lol! It's pretty bright outside, but I won't know how usable it is until I get the optic zeroed. My intent is to align the laser dot with the optic red dot. I zero my rifles at 100 yards so I'll know soon enough if I can't see it that far.

Mounting it at 12 o'clock does not obstruct the view through the optic and the ADM mount is the lower version (absolute cowitness). Now, if I end up not liking the pressure pad/cable setup, the manual switch on the laser is on top. If that switch was my primary I'd likely have to move the unit to 9 or 3 o'clock. F2S had a post a while back about where to mount lasers and why, but I've been unsuccessful in locating it. I've never used an ATPIAL so I can't provide you with any kind of comparison.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Thanks guys! It's quickly becoming my favorite rifle. The upper and lower are anodized in "Desert Bronze" which was a run CMT Tactical did back in 2013. I haven't seen them release that color since. I prefer anodizing for the pure durability. Cerakote is good, and it is certainly more durable than rattle can... but anodizing is great and I wish more companies had more choices in colors.

The CQBL is nice and is smaller in person than it appeared to me in photos. I don't have NODS so I don't even know if the IR laser works - lol! It's pretty bright outside, but I won't know how usable it is until I get the optic zeroed. My intent is to align the laser dot with the optic red dot. I zero my rifles at 100 yards so I'll know soon enough if I can't see it that far.

Mounting it at 12 o'clock does not obstruct the view through the optic and the ADM mount is the lower version (absolute cowitness). Now, if I end up not liking the pressure pad/cable setup, the manual switch on the laser is on top. If that switch was my primary I'd likely have to move the unit to 9 or 3 o'clock. F2S had a post a while back about where to mount lasers and why, but I've been unsuccessful in locating it. I've never used an ATPIAL so I can't provide you with any kind of comparison.
    Thanks man...I'm liking the looks of the CQBL and the compactness...if you can please keep me posted on the daylight visibility I'd appreciate it. I don't have NVG yet so that's not a great concern but I'm hoping to get to that point sometime.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Very impressive. Makes me want a CQBL-1.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Brown and tan zip ties. Nice touch.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GO_ALLOUT View Post

Lastly, does it obstruct tour view at all being mounted at 12 o'clock? I was thinking either 12 or 3 as I run my light at 11 o'clock...

Thanks!
    I tried to show the view I get when shouldered. The top of the laser barely enters my FOV and is certainly less invasive than a FSB. I left the optic off to better demonstrate the view.

Quote Originally Posted by TF82 View Post
    Brown and tan zip ties. Nice touch.
    Lol! Thanks! Nice catch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast