Thread: Moving Out of State w NFA Trust

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Moving Out of State w NFA Trust

I am in the job market again and it looks like there may be a couple of offers on the table that will require a move out-of-state.

Assuming NFA items are legal in the new location and ownable by a trust - do I need to do anything other than file the correct form (5320)?

Do I need to refile the trust in the new state?

Obviously, I'll need to talk to a lawyer, but just thought I'd see what others have done.

Also - for states like Illinois that do not allow trust ownership - I assume I'm looking at needing to transfer the item from the trust to myself, paying the $200 tax?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Whining in a forum that people have seen your thread, but not replied, reeks of an odd brand of desperation. - Me

Titling your thread "To XYZ or Not to XYZ" will cause me to completely ignore your thread.

Feedback Score
    If you disolve the trust, and open a new one in another state, can you form 5 it?
    Question for a lawer, for the OP - not myself.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Stay out of Illinois if at all possible. I have lived here far too long. The state is bankrupt. Taxes keep climbing.

SBRs have recently become legal. Cans are not.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Yeah... Spent 10 years in Chicago already. I was mostly using that for reference - I know they allow SBRs for individuals but not trusts and then only if you have a C&R or are part of a reenactment group... or at least that was the case a couple years ago when I was helping one of my buddies who is still there work through his SBR.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDooley View Post
    Yeah... Spent 10 years in Chicago already. I was mostly using that for reference - I know they allow SBRs for individuals but not trusts and then only if you have a C&R or are part of a reenactment group... or at least that was the case a couple years ago when I was helping one of my buddies who is still there work through his SBR.
    You are correct. You have to get a C&R license first. Illinois is an odd place. Stay away

Feedback Score
    Can't form 5.

So IL doesn't allow a trust to own an NFA weapon?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Providing NFA Trust Services to Texas Citizens

www.AtomicLabRat.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SC-Texas View Post
    Can't form 5.

So IL doesn't allow a trust to own an NFA weapon?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Not allowed here. The success of these gun control measures is obviously evident when you look at how peaceful and safe Chicago is

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    So, Illinois aside, in general what needs to be done moving to another state?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDooley View Post
    So, Illinois aside, in general what needs to be done moving to another state?
    5320.20 for SBR/machine guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk