Thread: RMR Basic Questions

Feedback Score

RMR Basic Questions

I'm new to the RMR concept. I'm thinking of buying one for my girlfriend for her Glock 17 MOS for Christmas, and I'm thinking of putting one on a carbine with a riser.

We have gone "battery free," so these questions relate to the dual-illuminated Trijicon RMR that has the fiber optic and Tritium.

Basic Q's:

1. I understand there are different reticles and reticle sizes in the different models of RMR. What is best for a Glock 17 MOS, and what is best for a carbine?

2. Are there different risers? I would probably want a 1/3 co-witness for my carbine.

3. On a carbine, is there an optimal position to mount the RMR for fastest target acquisition?

4. Are there any "do's and don'ts" in general for RMR's? Like don't ever drop one, for example?

5. Anything else anyone wants to add?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    1, 2 and 3 are personal preference. They’re rugged. That’s what the first R is in RMR. Get to a dealer and look at them before you by. Or borrow a friends.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Battery free so no lights or optics of any kind unless they’re powered entirely by fiber optic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Battery free so no lights or optics of any kind unless they’re powered entirely by fiber optic?

We've had to concede there's no such thing as a battery free weapon light. I'm talking about optics. No batteries. Ever.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    I'm talking about optics. No batteries. Ever.
    What prompted the hard line approach?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Quijote View Post
    What prompted the hard line approach?
    Long story short: we're preppers. I personally love Aimpoints and Trijicon MRO's, but ACOGs and Meprolight M21's are not dependent on batteries and so they are the SHTF optics.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    Long story short: we're preppers. I personally love Aimpoints and Trijicon MRO's, but ACOGs and Meprolight M21's are not dependent on batteries and so they are the SHTF optics.
    A 5 - 10 year battery life should see you through any disaster you can conceive short of the world devolving into feudalism.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Quijote View Post
    A 5 - 10 year battery life should see you through any disaster you can conceive short of the world devolving into feudalism.
    While I agree with the premiss, what optic has a 10 year battery life?

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    While I agree with the premiss, what optic has a 10 year battery life?

Aimpoint claims a 50k hour life span if constantly on. That’s 5 years. If you’re into year 2 of zombie apocalypse the least of your worries is going to be the battery life of your scope. Plus you can keep a few batteries in the grip of your favorite AR and you’re set.

The battery less RMR’s wash out quite a bit when shooting from dark to light. At least the amber ones I tried. The green may be better.

IMO the best model is the adjustable ones in the dot size you like. You can leave it on auto or add brightness if you need it. I used an RMR06 for years on a carbine using an ADM lower 1/3 mount mounted above the mag well. Try different positions to see what your eyes like. Transferred it to my 19MOS and now my 19X. Works great for me.

Feedback Score
    what optic has a 10 year battery life?
    My bad, only 9 years (80,000 hrs)........https://www.aimpoint.com/product/aimpoint-compm4/