Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Ok, I'm getting another Steyr Scout.

Feedback Score
    all depends on what you want. If you REALLY want a Steyr Scout current pricing is still less than what they were 20 years ago and so is a steal of a deal. but if it is not what you really want, then just about any price over 1k is going to seem expensive. Get what you actually want, you will enjoy it more.

Feedback Score
    on stock color, I never personally liked the gray stocks. I used to think black was the way to go until I saw the green stock. pics on their web site do not do it justice. The mossy oak bottom land stock looks nice too.

If you really like the gray stocks, you can get a striped one here for https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/717930 $42 Not sure if they have the other parts you would need to finish the stock though.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1859sharps View Post
    all depends on what you want. If you REALLY want a Steyr Scout current pricing is still less than what they were 20 years ago and so is a steal of a deal. but if it is not what you really want, then just about any price over 1k is going to seem expensive. Get what you actually want, you will enjoy it more.
    I want everything lol. All the guns. But my quest was for a hunting rifle. I’d never really thought of the Steyr and it dawned on my after seeing this thread that it’d be a nice, compact, light, accurate, fast and feature rich option that could slso be a good general purpose gun for all types of things. It’s just a lot of bucks.
    "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    The Steyr is a fine hunting rifle, the 19” barrel in .308 is getting about all the practical velocity out of the cartridge you can while keeping the rifle short and handy. Same if you find one in 7mm-08. Even in .243, or 6.5 Creedmoor you’re not giving up too much performance within reasonable ranges, although a 19” barrel is going to be less optimal for those two.

I wish Steyr would offer a Scout in .338 Federal because that would make for one bad ass little thumper of critters and “problems” within the 0-400 yard zone. Put a fast twist barrel on it so it can accommodate 300gr SMK’s, and thread the barrel in 5/8”X24. Then TAKE MY MONEY.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    What ranges would you say the scout is optimal for in 308 with its bbl length? The sako is in 6.5 creedmoor and 24.4”
    "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    What ranges would you say the scout is optimal for in 308 with its bbl length? The sako is in 6.5 creedmoor and 24.4”
    If you have a quality scope with hashes, a range finder and know your dopes you can shoot a 19” 308 out to 800 yards with no problem whatsoever.

I have an 18” Brux 6.5 creed moor and I have shot it out to 1150 yards. It’s not as wind resistant as a 26” 6.5 of course, but it’s also way lighter and 8” shorter.

Feedback Score
    How much more did you need to dial or hold with the 18” vs 26” 6.5 Creed? Just curious.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I don’t have the sako. I’m deciding between it and the Steyr scout. Someone just mentioned the Steyr Pro Hunter too. This will be used for deer and possibly other things. I’m just starting to hunt this year starting with turkey. I’m taking hunting on head first. Idk why I’ve never hunted but I’m starting and I want a good option for NY upstate.

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    How much more did you need to dial or hold with the 18” vs 26” 6.5 Creed? Just curious.
    I keep my handloads pretty light similar to factory ammo. My hold right now is 9.5 mils at 1000 yards with a 140gr ELDM.

Looks like a 26” would be roughly 7.8 mils.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    If you have a quality scope with hashes, a range finder and know your dopes you can shoot a 19” 308 out to 800 yards with no problem whatsoever.

I have an 18” Brux 6.5 creed moor and I have shot it out to 1150 yards. It’s not as wind resistant as a 26” 6.5 of course, but it’s also way lighter and 8” shorter.
    And also reliably and ethically kill deer at 300 yards? I’d imagine so but I’m over analyzing.

Thomas Jefferson

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast